1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis status for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Jul 17, 2008.

?

What Role do you see Steve taking at his peak next season?

1. He becomes the starter (starting 5)

78 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. He becomes a key reserve (part of 8 man rotation)

279 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. He plays sparingly (part of 10 or 12 man rotation)

139 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Gets burried at benche's end for his tradeable contract

159 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Gets waived before end of season

82 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Then he said Bobby Jackson cant hold his jock strap it's funny how we made the trade for him.

2. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Yes I also hope Francis can come back, reform his game, and contribute to the team!!!

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

4. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Stevie but he's done !! Injuries and age have caught up to him !! Man if we had the old Steve we'd be unstoppable !! I Hope I'm wrong !!

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

lol the last play was iso-ball at its worst. Zone defense back then woulda made a bad Rockets team even worse.

I dont see Francis making the team. He might take time off and come back to another team if he still has drive to compete. If he was 1 year removed from a good season even at his age you'd give him a good chance. But he's been on a negative trend downward for a while that looks to not be improving too much...He'll have to dazzle in pre-season to catch on.

He could be the 15th Bob Sura type roster spot like '06-'07. Brent Barry, Donte Greene and Joey Dorsey came on the team without having to give up anybody, so Francis might be squeezed out.

6. hubie_30

hubie_30 Member

steve francis also continues to be one of my favorite players.....i hope he atleast becomes a solid role player for our rotation :)

7. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

That last play on the video is one of the sickest ever!! If he could play at a high level I would welcome him back open arms. He will have to prove himself in training camp, which will be tough.

8. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

The guy is only 31, not late 30's like Stockton, Payton and others. Coming back and tearing it up is certainly within the realm of decent possibilities. My guess is he will likely play. If he were 5 years older then it would be far more difficult. At his age having him on the roster this year is a very good gamble.

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I think if Steve understands he's not here to be a 20 point scorer night in and night out; then I think that Steve can be the much desired 3rd or 4th scorer.

Imagine him coming off the bench to sub for McGrady or Alston?

Steve was great at creating his own shot. He can be a tremendous spark plug when the offense is stagnant. He can inject adrenaline when the overall game morale is low. His still awesome dunks could infect the entire Toyota Center with adrenaline.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he is not fat, and out of shape, and still injured.

What has to happen is that he comes in motivated, in shape, and ready to play...otherwise the team will move on.....

DD

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

What made Bobby Jackson made than Francis last year?

I'm asking this because it just seemed Bobby had a much longer leash than Francis had last year to prove himself and work himself into the rotation. Am I just imagine things?

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

If he is still rehabbing come training camp...

Maybe he's eligible to be bought out via medical retirement?

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#53
    http://www.insidehoops.com/francis-knee-surgery-020708.shtml

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bobby Jackson was in shape and knew the offense, sometimes it is about making a cut that sets up a teamate.

BJax made the right cuts and reads, Francis was fat, out of shape, and injured....

Let's hope he comes in fully recovered.....however the fact that he waited to do the surgery so long after knowing he needed it is a bit distressing....

Personally, I think he is looking like the satisfied player, not the hungry one....let's hope I am wrong.

DD

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How was Francis's leash shorter? Adelman chose to give Mike James a chance first. When he eventually went with Francis, Steve got injured before he could himself out of the rotation.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Where were you all season? Steve got injured before Bobby Jackson ever came.
    If Stevie never got hurt, I don't see the Jackson trade happening.

16. onethreeeleven

Shouldn't we all hope for him to play well enough to be a starter? Isn't that kind of a given? We always hope players on the roster play well...

17. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Yeah!!! People on here are looking at "the glass half empty" instaed of "half full". Some are even wishing that he don't come back. And you call yourself Rocket fans. We root for everyone on the team, period...

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm rooting for him. I would be very happy if he made a strong comeback,but coming back from a serious injury and having to rehab is difficult.

SF isn't good enough to be a starting PG IMO because of his playing style,but if he is fit and motivated he could be a solid backup at the 2/1 spot.

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'm not counting on him for much at all, but I think it's possible that he could be the starting PG. I'd be thrilled if he turned into the 8th man. If he does, I'd like to see Brooks plus somebody else traded for somebody that can help us in the next couple of years.