1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis status for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Jul 17, 2008.

?

What Role do you see Steve taking at his peak next season?

1. He becomes the starter (starting 5)

78 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. He becomes a key reserve (part of 8 man rotation)

279 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. He plays sparingly (part of 10 or 12 man rotation)

139 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Gets burried at benche's end for his tradeable contract

159 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Gets waived before end of season

82 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

were's the waived before the season option

if not maybe he could bring back the towel waving Moochie role

or maybe the Bonzi on IR because he is overweight role

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Get ready to cry again, this one is real deep:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6ZeB2kPj4I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6ZeB2kPj4I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

More like

S. Francis DNP - TT (Thunderthighs)

4. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Stevie defintely has his last contract on his mind so I expect to see his best this year if he has it in him. I don't under estimate his love for money, and he has a contract in his sights. I don't see him letting this injury stop him. He has had aboiut six months to get over it and another two to go before camp starts. I see it happening.

5. Chamillionaire

i don`t think he`s gonna do squat, just because of the decline in his play over the past 2-3 years, i don`t see how that trend is going to change all the sudden. but then again, sf3 has heart, so we`ll see and believe me when i sa i want him to do well, it will only help us. we do need a scorer, and he can do that... as well as excessive dribbling and turnovers and etc...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Watching those videos reminded me just how much of a special athlete Steve was, and how he relentlessly attacked the basket.

He is only 31 years old, he could still do MOST of that stuff if he dedicated himself to his rehab, but.....he looks like a guy who got his $30 million and just started to coast.

What a shame, because if he was healthy and in shape, he would probably be a starter here.....and our 3rd scorer.....oh well......it is all on him, now.

What is it gonna be Steve? You gonna come back and be the Franchise or you gonna take the money and run?

DD

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I don't understand the antipathy towards Steve expressed by so many.

Love him or hate him, Steve at 85% of his former self makes him better than most options we have at our disposal. No one should question his heart or love for the Rockets.

Here's to hoping he is healthy and able to contribute to a championship season.

8. sittingDuck

sittingDuck Member

I hope this coming season will restore some of the former Steve Francis and his high flying act.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

That game winner last year vs. the suns
    +
    Bill Worrel saying: "OHHHH STEVE FRANCIS WITH AN OLD STEVIE FRANCHISE SHOT"
    +
    His earlier block
    +
    the block dance ;)
    <br>
    One of my favorite rockets memories ever...

10. DaDakota

He had a 70% torn quadriceps muscle, which was causing the knee pain and loss of athleticism.

That has been fixed, but it is a muscle he has to work it like a dog to get it back to normal.....

I would love it if he pulled a Rafer and came into camp in shape and ready to compete, but you don't hear a peep about him in the Chronicle or from Morey or Adelman.....which leads me to believe that he is still coasting on his big pay day.

DD

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I never thought francis would be a good "old" player. When I said that, I was looking at a older payton and stocton still being very productive players because of their "feel" for the game. Once Francis lost his explosion, he wasn't smart enough as a basketball player to be still good. When you look at a guy like Baron, he's not the athelete he used to be, but his feel and command for the game is still really good.

I think Francis is done. I deally, he would be perfect in the offense because a scorer is better suited at the 1 like terry porter and bibby was. Francis, sat on his past accomplishments and thought he was going to show up overweight and be given the job. Once again, he displayed poor judgement. I think if he had been in shape and the battle was close, adelman would have gave it to steve, but he couldn't even beat out head and james. We'll see this year, but anything good will be a surprise.

12. DaDakota

A 70% tear of a quadriceps tendon is pretty significant.

The only way he comes back from that is with a serious committment.

It is all on him.

DD

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Perfect summary.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't think he gave himself a real shot. He thought he could play himself into shape and the rox were trying to find anyone to take rafers job. Adelman even said he thought Francis would be his starter. I think with the whole 3:3 presser kinda showed francis and his entitlement attitude. I mean say what u will about cut-turnover, but he's more professional than his buddy.

DD, is Sheilds Pizza still open?

15. poprocks

poprocks Member

Steve is not cleared to run until the end of July or early August. Steve said so himself during an interview. Now think about that. How many of you have been injured and tried to come back from a broken leg, start running and get back into top form? I have come back from a torn hamstring, herniated disc, water on the knee, and strained quads. Each time I gained weight and it was like starting over from scratch when I started running again. Took about 3-6 months to get into decent form again from the time I started running again. I don't expect Francis to get into decent form until the Dec/Jan time frame. I could be wrong and his trainer could be a miracle worker.

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

LOL! I guess u r talking about Steve Nash not Steve Francis.

17. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I'm really really pulling for Steve. He injected fun into the Rockets when they had basically had their last run with Hakeem.

Those Rockets teams with Steve were exciting as heck. Sure they fell short of making the playoffs until Yao got here, but it was soooo much fun to watch. Especially before the isolation rules. Mobley and Francis were unstoppable.

18. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

great vid man!! Brings me back to my Adolescent years…and when the time came, his last year in Houston…I agreed that it was time to move on, But Steve doesn’t have a bigger supporter in Houston than me…I hope that he has the will and the desire to get in shape, but when your rich and you have everything its hard to find that motivation. (look at ronaldo and ronaldinho)
    STEVE PROVE US WRONG….

19. superx

superx Member

He plays sparingly

He is too old to be the old SF3!

But I still love him,good luck "laoda".

20. Homie3

Homie3 Member

I miss Stevie and honestly I would love it if he could come back strong. Last summer I was so excited when I heard Steve was coming back to Houston and although I was disappointed with his performance this season I still have faith he can pull through and be an asset to our team.

Come on, guys. I think Steve at least deserves the benefit of the doubt. Remember this guy was once one of the top point guards in the NBA and the focal point of our team. Let's not all hate on him just because he had a bad season and got injured.