1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis interview on Jim Rome Show 16Dec03

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coma, Dec 16, 2003.

1. coma

coma Contributing Member

For anyone with a radio, Rome just announced an interview with Steve Francis coming up in a few minutes.

Please recap for those without a radio.

2. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Steve said this has been his toughetest season ever trying to adjust from basically being the man the past 4 seasons to being more of a PG. He told Rome that it would all be worth it if this new style gave him a playoff birth for the first time in his career.

He said that Van Gundy has really helped him develop on the defensive end, and that he is now picking up his man from about 70 ft., which is something he has never done before.

He also mentioned that the team had a meeting with Yao last night about his tendency to start passing off when he's hot. Steve said Yao could be dominant if he worked on his hook, and kept going to it when he's hot.

3. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

A quick recap:

-Talked about everyone--not just himself--having to adjust to JVG's style and system

-Talked about JVG helping him to become a better defensive player

-Talked about Yao being more relaxed this year w/out as much media pressure

-Rome asked if Yao will eventually be dominant; Steve said he will if realizes that he can

-Talked about Jim Jackson bouncing around from team to team; Stevie said that JJ talked to him about being around Iverson when he had his first season with Larry Brown, and compared that to Stevie and JVG

-Rome asked about making the postseason; Steve said until he gets to the playoffs, he won't be considered anything more than a "second tier" player

-Rome talked about Baron Davis and his weight loss--which Stevie suggested David do

-Rome mentioned how Stevie is 2nd behind Kobe in All-Star voting and how it "never gets old appearing at the All-Star game"; Steve said it's an honor to be selected by the fans

P.S.--Rome is All-Houston interviews today: Jamie Sharper from the Houston Texans will be on in the second hour!

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for the updates! :)

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Rome always was a p***y when it came to interviews...

6. Charvo

Charvo Member

Steve basically talked about what was written in today Chronicle about his transition into Van Gundy's system. His tone was somber. I think he's a good guy. You know what he wants to be a star. I don't blame anyone for wanting the fame. I just don't think it will be with this team. If he was allowed to free wheel it out in the Eastern Conference, he would be able to reach his full potential. It's not going to happen with Van Gundy's system. It's arguable that Steve had it best with Rudy T. When Rudy T got canned, I think Steve's days as a Rocket were numbered. That's not to say Yao is going to be a dominant go-to player, but it's obvious that Yao has played in systems from the start of his basketball life. JJ has played in systems. Even Cuttino had structure when playing at Rhode Island for many years. Steve's adjustment to a strict system that confines his offense is not good. Forcing him to be something he isn't is not good for the Rockets, and it's not good for Steve.

7. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I thought it was a good interview. Rome hit him with some questions about lack of playoffs, playing in JVG's system. Passing to Yao instead of being the #1 option. What else could he ask? This is a sports show, not Meet the Press.

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Paraphrased from notes:

Rome: Hard Transition to JVG's system -- why?
    Steve: new system unlike anything he's done before -- has to change the way he plays. Biggest positive is that JVG has helped him with D and he's working hard there.

Rome: Are you on the same page as JVG?
    Steve: Yes, but Offense will take some time -- needs to learn when to shoot and when not to shoot

Rome: JVG has you working more on D and less on O, will that be good for you if there is a payoff?
    Steve: if it pays off and we make it to the playoffs, it'll be gootd -- we should be better than we are, but everyone is adjusting

Rome: How is Yao Ming this season now that he's not the no. 1 media focus since Lebron is here?
    Steve: HUGE change -- he's more relaxed, has been "under the radar" compared to last year and his basketball is getting better and better.

Rome: Will Yao Ming become a dominant center, or just a really good one?
    Steve: He WILL be dominant if he focuses on his best shot, the jump-hook. Also, Yao Ming is too unselfish. If he scores a few times in a row, he feels like he should give the ball up to someone else. They met about it last night and told him to shoot more.

Rome: It's not like everyone else in NBA -- self-centered and me-focused
    Steve: no one on the team has been hot so far, but Yao Ming will start to hit more shots and the whole team will and it'll work out well.

Rome: Jim Jackson -- why has he bounced around so much?
    Steve: Jim and Steve met last night -- Jim talked about how he was in Philly with L. Brown and A.I. and Iverson was fighting the system, but when he bought into the system, it all started to come together and worked out. Jim's been great for the team as a veteran presence.

Rome: Stephon Marbury mentioned that until he and players like you make it to the playoffs and win there, you'll be 2nd tier players in the league
    Steve: "We" (stephon and steve) are 2nd tier because of the lack of playoff wins. Have to do things the right way and make the playoffs and play well there.

Rome: Steve gave Baron the advice to lose weight and he's been an MVP caliber player this year.
    Steve: Baron looks GREAT out there. Will have a tough time in the west next year though.

Rome: Excited about being an all-star again possibly?
    Steve: big honor -- never gets old. will especially be fun in L.A.

That's my notes -- I got pretty much everything they said.

9. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow... that interview sounds alot like someone who is fighting JVG's system... and did you hear what he said about Yao, how dare he criticize Yao. Now I know he is resentful of Yao and wants him to fail. Damn you Steve Francis.;) :rolleyes:

10. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

It's fair to say Steve wants to win and do the right things. It's really a matter of whether he's capable and under what circumstances.

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It's interviews like these that make me feel torn about whether I want him traded or not. He seems like his heart is in the right place but I swear I wish he'd show it more often on the court.

12. egn

egn Member

Talk is cheap! He's been talking winning, being a team player and other nonsense for years. He's just not the player.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanks for the recaps and also the comments in this thread were very insightful (probably because they echo my own thoughts :)).

Steve wants to do the right thing, but it's driving me crazy watching him fight his coach out there...ignoring JVG's play-calling and yells to run, run, run; losing his cool so easily.

I just don't think this is a good marriage. You have two fundamentally good people, in this case a coach and his star guard, who approach the game with completely different styles. Steve will always be best as a free-lancer. He isn't worth a maximum contract if all he can give us is 17, 5 and 5. And better at defense? He still disrespects opponents' guards, as if he's saving all his energy for the offensive end. And there he's struggling.

So, I hope it comes together for him, and that we win games, and that I'm no longer wanting to throw my meal, or the remote, or whatever, at the TV screen. Neither coach nor player will want to admit they can't make it work. The organization would not want to lose Steve Francis, either. But watching Steve in JVG's system? It's like asking Gloria Steinem and George W. Bush to produce a love child.

14. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

I think people should just lay off Steve and the Rockets. Leave the complaining and the coaching to JVG. As Yao said recently, JVG is pretty intense in his criticism of his players, so maybe we should just be fans and support them.

This appears to be a simple case of having to take a couple steps back to make a huge leap forward. It's a challenge, but in the long run, it will expand the horizon of opportunities for this team.

Work in progress.

15. mulletman

mulletman Member

yao should shoot the hook everytime. get the ball in the post, dribble it, take to steps to the painted area, and then shoot the hook. remember hakeem used to do this alot??

16. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

No smart NBA player would have answered those questions differently (or defiantly). He always says the right things...

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Truly Rubbish! This interview is inspirational, it tells you that Steve is truly tuned in and is NOT in fantasy land.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

he was joking yetti, unless youre just upset that you didnt post the message (i know how much u love to bash the FRANCHISE). Steve is the man and I hope Yao can pick up his game so that Steve doesnt have to do it all himself...again.

19. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Great read, thanks 4 the recap. It brought up my spirits a little more :)

20. spydermex

spydermex Member

It was a pretty good interview and i hope it can translate into the court.