1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis cries after loss to Wizards

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Matador, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Matador

Matador Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2006040427

Washington 105, New York 90
    Preview - Box Score - Recap

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
    April 4, 2006

AP - Apr 4, 10:27 pm EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Washington Wizards coach Eddie Jordan was concerned that his team would play down to the level of the woeful New York Knicks.

No worries there. Knicks coach Larry Brown said he's reached the point where he's "begging guys to play," and Steve Francis was on the verge of tears.

A game against the worst team in the East turned out to be the ideal homecoming for the Wizards, who got 13 points and a season-high 13 assists from Gilbert Arenas in a 105-90 rout Tuesday night.

"New York is a team that is not playing well, and we didn't play down to their level," Jordan said. "I thought we played very well, especially Gilbert, with how he got his teammates involved early. We played the right way."

Arenas also matched his season high with six steals, and Washington had a season-high 16 steals. Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler scored 18 points apiece to lead six Wizards players in double figures.

The Knicks lost their ninth straight, matched a season high with 28 turnovers, and are looking more and more comfortable in the role of a team that simply can't wait for the season to end. They trailed by 11 after the first quarter and by 22 at halftime. The deficit reached 31 in the fourth quarter, and Jordan was able to sit all of his starters for the final 7:14 of the game.

"They came in with so much more energy, it was like the varsity against the JV," Brown said. "You've got to keep trying. Somehow you've got to find five guys who care enough to compete. I hate to say that because you take away from (the Wizards players) and what they did, but you've got to hope you have enough pride to compete. I never in my life thought I'd be in a position where you're begging guys to play."

Brown juggled his lineup again, starting a league-high 42nd different unit this season. Francis opened at point guard, with Nate Robinson coming off the bench. Stephon Marbury, Jalen Rose and Jerome James sat out with injuries or illness.

Brown said he's never been through a stretch this difficult as a coach, and Francis went even further.

"Besides my mom passing away when I was 18, this is top three, definitely, just because this is my livelihood," Francis said. "Basketball is what I do. To be able to come out here and not being able to help this Knicks organization win is tough. I think a lot of the players don't realize that you only have one basketball career and it doesn't last as long as you think. The money might be there, but actually being out there on the court, that (stuff) doesn't last. And until people realize that and realize that you have to help each other and not be so selfish and worry about how many points you score, we're going to be stuck in the same position, same place."

"It's like a funeral, man," Francis said, his eyes welling up. "That's what it feels like."

The victory, coupled with Milwaukee's loss to Miami, moved the fifth-place Wizards 1 1/2 games ahead of the Bucks in the Eastern Conference. It was Washington's first home game following a 3-3 West Coast road trip, and only three of the final nine are at the Verizon Center.

"The pregame speech was 'The top four teams have clinched. We're the next team in line,"' Jordan said.

Jackie Butler scored a career-high 22 points for the Knicks, who had 16 turnovers at halftime -- including two offensive 3-second violations in the first quarter.

"Just when I thought we couldn't get any worse or go any lower, we find another way to do it," said Quentin Richardson, who returned after missing five games with a sprained thumb.

The laugher was a good setting for the return of Wizards center Brendan Haywood. Haywood lost his starting job to Etan Thomas during the road trip, then missed three games with back spasms while stewing over his benching. He came off the bench to score nine points.

"Right now it's not about me, it's about the team," Haywood said.

Notes

The Wizards dressed as the Baltimore Bullets and finally won a game in their throwbacks. They had been 0-5 wearing the 1970s-era blue-and-orange this season. ... The Wizards went 3-1 against the Knicks, taking the season series for the first time since 2001-02. ... Marbury missed his second straight game with a strained knee tendon, while Jalen Rose sat out his second straight with plantar fasciitis in his left foot and a sore right knee. James was the new entry on the injured list: He was out with an upper respiratory infection. ... Two Knicks received technical fouls for jawing with the refs, Maurice Taylor in the second quarter and Crawford in the fourth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Man it is sad to see Stevie in such a bad situation. I really enjoy seeing the Knicks being so terrible, but I wish Francis was not a part of it.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The guy isn't the smartest player in the world but he plays with as much heart as anyone I can remember.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's a Rudy T player, he will have heart.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

funny, tinman would know something about heart, wouldn't he?

5. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I always appreciated his passion for the game. Not everyone has it.

6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

This is exactly why Steve Francis is the most frustrating player in the league to have on your team. Listening to quotes like this, seeing his body language on the court, you really want him to suceed, yet in your heart, you know he is always part of the problem.

KG and SF are cut from the same mold; the only difference is that KG bottles up his frustrations, playing the role of the consumate "franchise" player, while Steve says and does exactly what he feels. I don't know how many of you saw that interview that KG did with John Thompson last year at the ASG, but you have to think that the situation is similar here.

Better days are ahead for both guys...hopefully.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Keep your head up Steve, there will be better days, just do your best and no one can blame you.

8. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Poor Steve. He's been on a downfall ever since he left Houston.

I hope he gets traded to a good team (Minny maybe?) and wish him the best of luck. Still one of my favorite players.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Stevie does have a lot of heart, I really hope he moves to a team with a coach who can maximize his talents before he's too old to be a star.

10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Stevie might not be the brightest player in the league, but he definitely has heart.

11. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

Men dont cry, that's reserved for women.

Now I wonder what that makes Steve Francis?

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Me too. He's in the worst place to be in the NBA.

A rich, athletic, and very skilled NBA player?

13. zoids

zoids Member

Well, can't deny that he kinda brought himself to such situation........being stupid and selfish in Houston, then pissed off everyone in Orlando.

Although I think he should get another chance, but his salary is not helping him to get that 2nd chance.

14. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

there we go

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Steve is God's experiment.

He gave him a lion's heart but a pigeon's brain.

16. GTO

GTO Member

God is fair, you get one thing, you lose another.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Steve Francis is a p***y.

18. GTO

GTO Member

I know the salary thing won't work, but if SF returns to play in Houston, he might be a changed person after all these hard years.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, all 1.8 of those hard years.

20. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

SF cares.

Wait, that sounds like NBA cares commercial.

Better days will come, Steve.