1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen King's Dark Tower Series to be on HBO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by madmonkey37, Oct 27, 2011.

1. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Hopefully it'll be as epic as Game of Thrones.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

series started off great and ended somewhat weak. King said it was the most difficult for him to write. you could definitely tell by the end.

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I know many fans hated Book 7 (last book), but I loved it and its powerful ending.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

4. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

I've read and loved the series, but am somewhat worried what it will be like on screen. Hopefully they can pull it off and not ruin it like they did with The Stand. Blaine the Train should be interesting.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There is a lot of really strange stuff in the books that translate better on page/imagination than they will on screen.

Also, one of the best things about the series is how it flows through all of his other books, which might also be lost on screen.

However, if anybody can do it correctly, HBO can.

6. tingYAO

tingYAO Member

GOTTA SEE IT BABY!!!

OH SON!

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Hopefully the climax of the series isn't weak and rushed like it was in the book. Talk about a letdown.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Thankee-sai big big.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I usually go into a Stephen King adaptation hoping they don't change anything. But for this, I actually hope they DO make some changes. Namely from about midway through Wolves of The Calla until the end. Especially:

Stephen King writing himself into the story. Completely ruined the series...

The first 4 books were stellar though.

10. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Lol. HBO announced Game of Thrones right after I finished reading the ASOIAF. Now I'm on the third book of the dark tower series and they're doing that now. Won't complain as I am loving it so far!

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I hate that dialect so much. Wolves of the Calla (and the books to follow, to a degree) was unbelievably painful to read because of that.

The series really went into the crapper after Wizard and Glass. The first three books are some of the best ever.

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

My sentiments exactly.

This is the only series to ever make me lose sleep over being so upset at the ending. It went from one of the best epic's ever to an absolute joke by the end.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Really loved all the books, hope the tv series will keep up.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've only read the first 4. I though Wizard & Glass was great, and Book 1 was really solid, but Books 2 and 3 were bad. Given that more than one poster seems to think they're good means there's still hope that books 5 to 7 are better than reviewed here.

15. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Books 2 and 3 were my absolute favorites of the series, especially #3. To each his own, I guess.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Books 5-7 are not better than 1-4, IMO

Wizard and Glass was my favorite of the series.

Like I stated before, really enjoyed the series but it just felt like the ending was rushed into 30 pages and was extremely anticlimactic. It was like King just got sick of writing and just threw it all together quickly to just end it...which was disappointing considering I read the first book at 12 years old and the last one at 30...waited 18 years to be disappointed at the end (not necessarily with how he chose to end the tale but the rushed finale)

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Which is what I fear George R. R. Martin doing with Song of Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones) series.