1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Curry: Will finish his career as...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 24, 2016.

?

Stephen Curry will finish his career as?

1. One of the best players of all time

47.6%
  2. The best player of all time

6.8%
  3. One of the best shooters of all time

17.1%
  4. The best shooter of all time

55.4%
  5. One of the best 3 point shooters of all time

13.7%
  6. The best 3 point shooter of all time

44.4%
  7. One of the best ball handlers of all time

22.9%
  8. The best ball handler of all time

3.6%
  9. One of the best point guards of all time

28.9%
  10. The best point guard of all time

7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gotsis

gotsis Member

Probably already the best shooter of all time. But when his 3 point shot if off (which is rare) he can't physically impose himself like Jordan or LeBron and he also has less impact on the defensive end.

Anyway, he's changing the game and should be in any top 10 list.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

I came here to post that there are many great career mix tapes of a lot of players with rare plays that you just have to dig deep and find because most of the popular ones are video highlights of the same plays everyone's already seen. Then i clicked the Curry video and realized HOLY ****. That's directly from NBA's youtube channel. WTF? Man. They are really pushing this dude out there.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

All about numbers. He had great numbers so far, then two MVPs, then two titles (likely), then possible more titles with this great team, and he is the leader of the great team. I already predict a top 10 rank in the end, it likely would be right.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

TOP 10 list?!? Just who the hell would you take out of the top 10 for a player who's had 1 dominant season followed by a couple of other regular all star seasons and injury riddled seasons? Being GOAT shooter is not enough even for top 30 IMO. His resume right now is all about 3 pointers made and 3 point %. That's it. Stop and realize he is already 28 years old also, with weak ankle history. Do you really think he's goign to keep up a dominant pace for a near decade to be up there with the other GOAT's in all around stat totals?

Too many fans are prisoners of the moment. Kobe during his scoring streak was getting GOAT talk with analysts saying he's better than Jordan lol..i guarantee every one of those analysts would slap themselves for living in the moment like that.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

He better get himself at least 2 FMVP's because he'd be the only one in the top 10 without a FMVP or even just 1.

When i look at the top 20 players of all time, there's zero chance i'd draft Steph Curry over anyone in my top 15. Zero. 15-20 starts to get me thinking harder on it, but still unlikely as i not only value dominant big men, but i also value guys at Curry's own position that are all time great offensively and defensively which brings more for me than Currys dominant shooting.

He can definitely be top 20 with another ring this season(+ crucial FMVP) and another dominant season next season where he doesn't necessarily have to win, but individually prove he can keep the pace up. That FMVP is crucial to his legacy though and so far...not a good start. Shaun Livingston getting a FMVP after Iggy got one last year is not acceptable.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

At 28 years old, he has 2 MVP's and a title. If you couple that with the 3pt record as well as being the GOAT shooter, then he already has an impressive resume. And he's only 28 years old. Nash was 30 years old when he joined Phoenix.

Also, he's had 4 healthy seasons since his ankle surgery. I don't think you can lean on that "weak ankle history" anymore.

Name your top 10 GOAT, and I'll tell you who Curry would supplant.

FMVP was crucial to Kobe's legacy b/c it was questioned whether or not he could lead his team to a title. It's really not that crucial to Curry's legacy b/c he won the MVP, and the Warriors won the title. Plus, statistically, he was deserving of the FMVP. There's no question that despite Iggy winning the FMVP, Curry led them to the title.

7. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

Caesar you are amusing. Rered your post, then have a good laugh as I do. You "kinda forget"a historic winshare. Leading the team with the most wins. Also, calling him the best shooter is true, but the gap with #2 is shockingly big.

We both know that taking that in consideration propels him up in the ranks.

I know that your asheer hatred of Curry makes looking clearly at the facts very hard, but I assume even you know deep in your heart that Curry is phenomenal and very much on track for becoming one of the greatest players ever.

8. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Caesar is under the impression that all Curry does, and can do, is shoot three-pointers well. He looks at Curry and sees a shorter Reggie Miller. Considering that, you can understand his outrage every time the subject of Curry being one of true all-time greats comes up.

For those of us who understand that, in addition to shooting skill that has never been seen before, Curry brings top-of-the-line passing, handles, ability to finish at the rim, mid-range shooting as well as solid defense and rebounding for his position, that outrage looks weird.

It's just two ships passing in the night, really.

9. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

Exactly. The shooting itself is astounding, but the fact that he also is elite at all these other things (add vision, workaholic, clutch, leadership and sheer hunger) makes him so f*ing amazing.

I find the good guy image tiresome as most of us, but as a player... he's on a short list of game-defining players.

As an aside, I do think he has talent up to the gills and that it's not just hard work. If Lebron won the Genes lottery, Curry clearly won another jackpot. Both are products of genes and incredible hard work...

And that goes for most if not all greats (Jordan!),... they loved basketball, they worked on their basics until their hands bled. To just go on for more and more hours.

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

So because i don't think he is top 10 and questionable top 25, i have hatred for him. Right. I'm sure you all thought he was even top 100 pre 2014. lol..

He's GOAT shooter with nice handles and nice passing. His passing is no where near the best passers ever. His defense is no where near the best defenders ever. So yeah, his one true elite skill to be judged on an all time level is his GOAT 3 point shooting and even then, if Klay can beat him in a contest, i'd say Ray, Reggie, Nash, Kerr, Dell, Bird etc could beat him a few times too. A skill in which even end of the bench scrubs can be elite at is not a skill i value highly in GOAT talk. Any great shooter can heat up and beat Curry at his best skill. His finishing this season will be an anomaly. That doesn't mean i see him as a smaller Reggie. I don't know where id rank Reggie, but he's for sure not in my top 50.

What do his WIN shares for this season have to do with him being top 10? It's #30 something on all time list. CP3, Durant, LBJ have all had better win shares seasons. Did you mean career? He's 181, behind Loul Deng and Paul Millsap.
    1 all time great PER season and 1 outside the top 50 makes him top 10? I guess Anthony Davis is also top 10 since his PER from last year is right behind Curry from this season. T-Mac should probably be top 20 all time too. Oh wait but they don't have teammates that could be better than them on any given night like Curry does so they don't have the rings.

I know what to expect though. I saw this with Kobe and LeBron fans when they were going through the same things. They'd attack you and say you're a hater for having any opinion that didn't agree with their favorite player being GOAT.

He was the best player this season and deserved the MVP. He was not the best player last year. He was never top 5 player the rest of his other career. and i say other career because no one talked about him(other than shooting) until Draymond Green got the starting job and turned that team into an unbeatable machine. Now Curry's GOAT. Amazing transformation. To go from just another all star in shooting goat conversation to an absolute top 10 and overall GOAT conversation. Truly amazing.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Although he has been relatively healthy in recent years, I think durability issues are going to remove him from any "all time greats" discussions by serious, intelligent fans.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What about his durability do you find so troubling? His ankle? He's had 4 healthy years since the surgery. Other than that, there's nothing. His game isn't predicated on elite athleticism or speed.

13. tksense

tksense Member

Some do value how high the peak more vs how long the longevity.

Even when durability tends to be an issue in judging top players, it's because they had to stop playing/ at elite level after some career-ending injuries.

In Curry's case, solving his injury woes was necessary to provide him the opportunity to hone and settle his game, before proceeding to achieve goat level. This bodes well for the latter part of his career likely into his mid-30s.

Other than the solved ankles, we haven't seen any indication of potential long term injury threats. So as long as his ankles remain "solved", he should have a chance to build a good enough resume barring new freak ones.

14. Harden's beard

Exactly. Having zero FMVP on your resume will hurt Curry's legacy immensely. He better step up his game in the Finals, otherwise there's a possibility that he will be remembered as a player who won the titles on the back of his teammates.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I am convinced Curry is all about efficiency. No need to jump or do fancy dunks when you can simply shoot it fast and accurate (best quick shooting form). He even adjust his shooting form depending on the position the ball and defender is at when he launches it all within a nano-second. And when his shot is not falling, he is still the best finisher in traffic. He's got the ability to finish at the rim better than even guys like Harden with just the eye test.

Given his passing ability and vision, he is the best PG that ever played the game.

16. SunsRocketsfan

he's already the best shooter of all time....

let's say he continues to average 28+ pts for the next 3 or 4 seasons and continues to score at the same efficiency and wins another 2 titles. Does that make him better than LBJ?

17. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

MJ
    Jabbar
    Magic (It's almost unfair when you think about the Lakers having 2 of top 5 all time players throughout the 80s)
    Wilt
    Shaq
    TD
    Dream

Obligatory Bill Russell

I would take Bird over Curry.

LBJ I guess, though that might change in a few years.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

No need to entertain that question. He already believes Curry is GOAT over players who've put up decade and half worth of dominant regular seasons and playoff careers.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If you were to exclude Russell/Wilt b/c of their era, who would you replace them with?

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Quote me where I said that.