1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Curry is more athletic than Monta Ellis

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Medicine N Music, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Asian Sensation

Sometimes I think your captain obvious because you say everything I'm thinking. Another great post which I absolutely agree with. Well done.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Well that was my point; wouldn't he be about Curry's same age?

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

4. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What an idiotic comment. First of all, I did not compare Curry to anybody else except Monta Ellis (when he was 19) coming out of high school. Curry is 21 (I think), and Howard was 17 when he was at the combine. It's not common for 17 year old post players to bench 185 over 10 times. Obviously Howard trained and he filled out his frame.

As stated previously, Monta Ellis turned 20 before his first game in the NBA, so his age was much closer to Curry's leading up to the draft. The knock on Ellis when he entered the league was that he was UNATHLETIC. He was known as a GREAT SHOOTER/SCORER. This is why he was picked in the 2nd round, since GMs didn't think his game would translate. He has obviously increased his athleticism, but I really don't think it was just his training. GS's system IMO has done wonders to his style of play. It's also always harder to defend somebody straight up. He played the 2 guard position while Baron Davis was playing the 1 two years ago and last year he was injured, so most of his sample size was that of 2 years ago. Of course opposing SGs can't really guard him. It's hard for SGs to guard any PGs in the league straight up. I'm not saying that he's unathletic now, but just pointing out that people are giving him way too much credit.

5. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

This is a good point. You're completely right on how measurements can definitely be deceiving. However, just because you're more athletic than somebody, doesn't mean that you have faster in-game speed or can get by another person better than the other guy. This depends on several factors like fake moves, changing direction, etc. For example, Brandon Roy is one of the best at getting by his defender, but he's not as athletic as some of the others. On defense you would depend on footwork, timing, etc. This is why Bruce Bowen can keep up with players the best, even though he's not the most athletic.

6. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

There's no way Curry and do stuff like this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DpIit_m87s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DpIit_m87s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It should be noted that Ellis had knee surgery about a month before that combine

8. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

you think howard wasn't stronger than curry when he was in highschool?LMAO I think you're the idiot.

9. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Again, I never said that. I made a comment referring to the fact that Howard benched less than Curry at the Combine, as you pointed out. It is much easier for shorter players to bench than taller players. Yes, Howard was stronger in high school than Curry, but he could not bench more. This is why I said "17 year old POST PLAYERS"). Maybe you should read people's posts and also think a little bit before you type.

10. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Good point. I did not know that. Even before his injury, most experts did not mention anything about him having superior athleticism. Maybe I'm wrong here, but that's what I remember.

11. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

you make no freaking sense at all. it ain't harder for a taller player to bench. you just are making yourself into a bigger fool. you say "curry is more athletic than monta" but monta had surgury a month before the combine and then you say "howard wasn't as strong as curry when he was in highschool". and that's what you said I quote. then you wanna say no i didn't say that I said, "its harder for taller players to bench press than shorter players". dude... shut up already. :rolleyes:

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Were you even following him back then?

Monta Ellis NBA Draft Scouting Report
    May 22, 2005

Strengths
    Physically, Ellis has excellent size for the PG position at 6-3 and a good frame to put on more weight. His main draw is the fact that he's an outstanding athlete, being extremely quick and smooth in the open floor with a dynamite first step. He gets into the lane at the high school level whenever he pleases, elevating off one foot in the lane and hanging to finish fearlessly and creatively at the basket. He is very quick off his feet.

Outlook
    Ellis has hired an agent already, so he is in the draft no matter what. He probably wasn't going to be eligible for college anyway, for academic reasons or others. Someone could fall in love with him as a project PG because of his athleticism and scoring ability, making him a late first rounder somewhere in the late teens or in the twenties, but he could just as well fall into the 2nd round. He WILL look outstanding in workouts if he puts his mind to it; there is little doubt of that.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Monta-Ellis-289/

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That likely explains it.

14. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

he's making BS up to try to make himself look better but is felling big time.

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I totally missed this report. Jonathan Givony actually ran Draft City and started DX a little later when DC was shut down, so I wasn't even aware of the site. That was probably the only site that regarded him as athletic, even though DX has proved to be the best draft scouting site. I can't find too many scouting reports of Ellis when he was in high school, but this one below says NOTHING about him being athletic. They actually they said he was "too thin" and one of his weaknesses was size, which is totally opposite of the DX report.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/2005prospect/montaellis.htm

NBA Draft Profile: Monta Ellis

Hometown: Jackson, MS

High School: Lanier

Height: 6’2

Weight: 160 lbs.

Scouting Report:

Big-time scorer… can really shoot the basketball… understands team dynamic… too thin… undersized two guard in the NBA

Strengths: All-around game, shooting, unselfish

Weaknesses: Size, weight

Siegel's Take - Top 30 Scouting Reports

“The only thing keeping Ellis in contention for the first round, is that this year’s prep class is inferior to last year’s, and its almost like GM's feel that there has to be a few high school guys in the 1st round at this point. His one saving grace as opposed to Louis Williams, is that teams feel he can be molded into a workable NBA point guard. However, its hard to imagine Ellis ever getting off the bench for at least 2 seasons if he goes pro. he doesn't have near the talent as recent high school to NBA projects such as Travis Outlaw or Dorrel Wright, who have yet to see serious playing time as pros.”

First of all, everybody in the world knows that it's harder for taller players to bench. That's actually a fact since players that are around 6 feet can use their chest more than 7 footers. Ask any trainer. Second of all, the information about Monta's knees was not known by any of us until someone pointed it out, but he did not have a source (even though I'm assuming it's true). I'm having a headache just reading your posts, since you don't know the proper way to form a sentence. This isn't a site like realgm where 13 year olds rule the board. If you're trying to have a debate with somebody, at least try to make it to where the other person understands.

16. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Yes, I'm "felling" big time. Seriously, how old are you? I think you should hit the books buddy. Recess is not for you, son.

17. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

You are still a complete dumba$$ to me cause ANYONE could tell you Monta is a better athlete than Curry. Maybe you should go to a pharmacy to get some medication to help you think a little clearer. Is that a good enough sentence for you to understand buddy?

18. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

No way is that true and even if he is more athletic on paper, Curry does not know how to use it, then.

I am a big Curry fan and do believe that he is going to go in the top ten and maybe even top 5. I think that he will have a lot of success in the NBA, but Ellis is so smooth and quick when he has the ball.

19. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

First of all, the whole point of my post was to show that Curry is actually more athletic than people think. I also pointed out numerous times in my follow up posts that I tried to get across the fact Curry was more athletic coming into the draft.

Secondly, the medications that impove your concentrations are tightly controlled, so you'd actually have to go to a doctor first. Too bad there are no medications to help you get a little smarter. However, I've heard of a pill called "Enzyte" on TV that may just do that (better get it before it's banned).

Lastly, I want to say that you've been a good comedian. I've enjoyed quite a few laughs. BTW, you win the argument. Good job Tony and good luck in 7th grade.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Quick feet quick release quick feet quick release quick feet quick release.

Forget athleticism. Curry has the right combination of.........quick feet and a quick release on his shot. That is what is going to make him a real NBA contributor. He will be able to get his shot off anywhere because he can set up and release very quickly, even while covered. He can have a defender in his back pocket and still get the shot off because he is release is quicker than the defender can respond to.