1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stephen A. Smith] The Rockets' upper management are throwing games.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Apr 8, 2016.

1. hakeemthagreat

If Daryl Morey wanted to tank this season I'm 100% sure he'd disguise it in a way most fans wouldn't see it

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Don't come in here with that logic.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. SAS isn't claiming sources or anything. He's just spitballing on what he sees in the games. "I think JBB is being told...."
    2. Mgmt telling coaches to play this or that guy more minutes is not likely to be done in order to lose games. Assuming Morey was doing it, it'd be to see more of Player X in action to inform offseason decisions, or to showcase him for trades, or just to get him more experience. In those cases, wins are welcome but not top priority. Remember the late season swoon after Morey traded Battier for a box of stale donuts?
    3. Most likely though, it's just SAS being an armchair coach and saying this guy or that guy should get more minutes and what JBB is doing is irrational. It could just be that JBB has a different strategy and SAS doesn't have the brains or humility to realize it.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Are you trying to point to Donatas' PT? Because the other 4 starters all played in some combo close to & well over 30+ minutes in the game.

If it is the lack of D-Mo I sort of understand in some respect (I know I know we aren't allowed to agree with each other... shocker). I had a big problem with whatever JBB was trying to do with Josh Smith. I guess either keep him happy, use a fresh body because of a back to back or both. Either way, D-Mo, Beasley, and Smith can't all play in the same game.... much less try any Capela/Howard lineups or get any D-Mo/small lineups to try and boost the scoring.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's one of the starters and like I said, when the starters were all in the game together, they built double digit leads each time. It was one of the few lineups that worked and it was used very infrequently and it hurt the team.

Obviously that's not always the case, sometimes that lineup doesn't work, but when it does and is actually pretty close to the only thing that is working, Why not use it? It just doesn't make sense.

This isn't even about DMo, replace any PF as the starter and have the results be the same and I'd find it odd. If Jones was the starting PF and the starters were looking that good, I'd be mad that they didn't go with it more.

It just seems like pretty much anyone could see what was working.....anyone but JBB. He just always seems to abandon what works.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Maybe some substance to it but not really? I found that in the last 8 Rockets quarters, they score 30 or more points 2 times. Those two quarters were only times Motiejunas was on court in last 2 games. He played 0 and then 12 minutes. Still asinine but worth noting

7. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

I mean, our last few games the line-up appears to be determined by drawing lots... we've had 3 different starting power forwards in as many games and none of them are the guy who's actually playing the best at that position (beasley).

Honestly I hope this is the case, atleast it gives JB an excuse for our rotations.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's the thing though. Anyone that watches a Rocket game sits there and goes "What exactly is going on here?" it's a bit confusing.

It even had Clyde confused as he wondered why Beasley wasn't playing more. JBB goes away from what works and if you are SAS you think JBB is a smart guy...then you come to the conclusion "Well, they must be doing this on purpose."

I'm not going to say JBB is stupid. I just don't think he's a very good coach. Maybe in his mind he's trying to get everyone minutes to the point where he's just lost any sort of rotation or strategy.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And Michael Beasley last night played, what? 12 minutes. 4 of 8 shooting. 9 points.

Disguised tanking, but tanking nevertheless. If we were truly fighting for our playoff lives it would look a little different.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This sounds like he's trying to report something:

That's a pretty definitive statement.

That's quite a bit different from saying "It looks to me like the management has set these players and coaches up to fail."

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

Yeah it takes skill to throw games and lose in crunch time! Make it look like you tried when you really did not! Dumb ass Screaming A. Smith. Bayless is right on this one

12. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

exactly. That would be a huge slap in the face to harden. and every other player playing there asses off to try and save face this season (ariza and beverley). If they wanted to tank, couldn't they have traded some players before the deadline? I'm sure competitive teams would love an Ariza

This just seems like entertainment speculation to pile on the rox

13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Why tank for a back end lottery pick? It's just not worth it. It's not like the Spurs tanking for the chance to get Duncan in a year with injuries.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This man is an idiot.. The Rox just suck and Dwight Howard wastes possessions. Trying to win while having a guy waste possessions isn't going to happen.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Good thing I'm not a Rockets fan, this would piss me off.

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Didn't know #13 pick is that big of deal, especially this year...

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well at least we know Dwight was the cancer now.

18. adagio75

adagio75 Member

19. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VF6ob3-e2Yg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>