1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith flip flops on Jeremy Lin...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Dec 18, 2012.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Now, SAS (also spelled A,SS) has covered himself in either direction. Maybe the NYShill will be LG when Lin is leading the June Parade! Maybe...

2. Luca

Luca Member

Nice post, we don't know where Lin's ceiling will be. I can only hope that he becomes a good complete player for the Roxx for a long time to come.

3. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

I think Jeremy mentioned once that he can't control the outcome of everything that happens on a game, but he can control his effort and his behavior towards others. And he says he wants to play in a "godly" way to honor god, and that means showing respect to his teammates, his opponents, the coaches, and the referees. I think he said something about the way he treats the opponent and the way he treats the referees being a way to honor God with his Christian respect and behavior or something.

He uses religion as a safety mechanism and encouragement. It cuts down on his self-doubts on the court, because he "surrenders to God" his worries. And he puts in 110% because he's not playing for himself but for God, in his mind.

Whether you believe in his religion or not, the psychological trick seems to work for him to help him play better. A side effect is that he's respectful to opponents and referees, because that's what he thinks of as good Christian behavior that God would want. So it's highly unlikely you'll see him get into a brawl on the court or get ejected.

4. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

in the past I was always more annoyed by SAS' screaming. really, he didn't need to scream so much.

but even during his most hysterical period, I believe he actually knew what kind of player Lin was. Could be, as a media person, his job was to stir up controversy; on top of that, he did notice the flaws in Lin's games and he could've pointed it out in a more reasonable manner, but all the crazy love for Lin pushed him to go extreme to make a case.

5. dchoye

dchoye Member

Can't ESPN replace him and his sidekick Skip Bayless ?
    I can't listen to the garbage that spews from their mouths
    Smith is paid to be controversial, Smith said Lin was a scrub during Linsanity and now that he not as hot he's saying Lin will be a star?
    Smith should work for the stock market

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

There is a reason that Steven Smith has "A" as his middle initial.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yeah I pretty much think Stephen A Smith is a an annoying joke. i never agree with him on anything and the Jeremy Lin comment is no different.

8. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Sometimes, I think SAS has made a name for himself by being a SAS.
    Even SNL had one guy intimating his screaming style in their show.
    So he is famous in another way. :eek:

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Don't mind me. I was just joking around.

All of these guys do this. Reggie Miller when watching Damian L. play & was saying how he plays like Rose & then subsequently listed ways in which Dame plays nothing like Rose. Steph Curry was making fun of him. Makes no sense. One of the Lakers ESPN guys was in an argument with haralabob today & he didn't know that the corner 3 was the second most efficient shot in the NBA. A lot of these guys really don't know as much about basketball as they act like they do. Just a few thoughts.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And SAS is a stranger in a strange land. LOL. A Heinlein quote!:grin:

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bayless on the Lin train
    the show wouldn't be interesting if they agreed on everything

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

this is dope I just hope he has a "unity" view of theology moreso than the disastrous "duality" state of thinking

13. jocar

jocar Member

+1. It's either he only has knowledge of bball superstars, or his ego is so big that anyone else below star status is beneath him and undeserving of his research/attention/opinion. The Parsons diss proves that he's a douche.

14. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eID_B5vAFYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. gefforycook

gefforycook Member

16. gefforycook

gefforycook Member

17. Pubsaint

Pubsaint Member

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

His shot sucks like he does.

19. jocar

jocar Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hlhnib9Wqug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. catch22

catch22 Member

SAS says a lot of crap, but you know wat? no one give the xxx about what he says

soon parsons will prove how foolish he is by playing at borderline all star level