1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith ESPN - Dwight Howard interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

For better or worse, signing on with Dwight means we are also signing on with Stephen A. As soon as Dwight committed to Houston, we gained a national spokesperson in Stephen A Smith. He is now the mouthpiece helping bring and maintain national attention to our team.

It was really an even exchange in my book. Dwight called SAS, gave him the most important thing in journalism, ACCESS, and in return SAS is gonna do his best in the Dwight Howard image rehabilitation front. Both sides will benefit, and in a league like the NBA where perception equals reality, you really really need guys with that top 5 reputation in order to even have a shot at the title. SAS went from being our biggest detractor to our biggest ally in the media.

2. kumakun

kumakun Member

i like D12 regardless of what Laker fans think, i mightve made comments about him not as great but hes really a good person and am glad he is a Rocket.

3. PeppermintCandy

They're pretty softball questions, setting Howard perfectly up to give his spiel. Not that asking "hard" questions would have made it better anyway.

4. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Guys, up until the playoffs last year, Chandler Parsons was a NOBODY in the NBA. Just because you little boys have a mancrush on him due to his looks doesn't mean he's a player who stands out. He had a coming out party, nationally last year in the playoffs but before that he was a Nobody in the league and he was pretty much a nobody in college as well so it's not strange that SAS didn't know who he was. Get over it.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Part 2 airing now(I think).

"You little boys have a mancrush on Chandler..."

Says the little boy who has a mancrush on LerBon.

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Is there a Youtube link for Part 2 yet?

7. 1510 Polk St

1510 Polk St Member

We will love this guy. Great answers.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t3EYbhliSUU?list=UUiWLfSweyRNmLpgEHekhoAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Part 2

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IVCFj57Kf6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

SAS is growing on me, bombastic in his delivery at times but that's ok

11. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Harden-Dwight PNR, FYEA!

Hopefully the rumours that he hates the PNR is untrue!

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Soft or not, he asked him everything that I wanted to know.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Look at Stephen A's face when Dwight is telling him the differences/clashes with Kobe had nothing to do with him leaving LA. SAS is not buying it for a second.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't know if it my imagination or my desire for it to be so or if it is really real, but I think I hear a little of the Dwight-Dream conversations coming out in his answers. Some of what he said just sounded very Dream-like to my ears.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I like how he says "its about building a dynasty"

16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Highlight of part 2:

Dwight: "Who's going to stop that pick and roll?"

So glad to hear that, so glad...

17. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

You do realize... that the Olympics broadcasts castrates everyone else in the TV and Media industry for over 4 weeks straight.

We are talking epic historical legendary proportions by the number of people nationally and globally that all focus on the greatest gift of peace to the world.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Stephen A: NOW WHAT CHANGES IS DWIGHT HOWAHD GONNA MAKE TO DWIGHT HOWAHDS GAME TO MAKE SURE THAT LAST YEAR NEVA HAPPENS AGAIN???

Dwight: well you see, Stephen A, first you have to FOCKASS

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

for the most part, it's as other posters have said: SAS is setting Dwight up for some easy slam dunk answers. However, there was a part there where SAS dwelled on winning championships and how Dwight perceives winning. I think that part was as close to real as the interview got. SAS needed to push a bit harder there to make Dwight have to think and answer sincerely. Honestly, it seemed as if this had been rehearsed by both parties for some time.

20. yo

yo Contributing Member

I appreciated Dwight's honest answer about a championship not being EVERYTHING to him, about not sulking if he doesn't win one. He has a personal life and cares about it too, as does everyone else. I think a lot of players perpetuate this somewhat disingenuous image about ruthless competitiveness, I don't care about anything else in life (Kobe, KG)... Yet he was convincing that winning a championship is still his #1 goal... this is his craft after all.