1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith: Dwight Howard Will Request a Trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Apr 24, 2012.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To get more money? I'm not saying he played it right, but Dwight gets more money by being traded in contract to a team he wants to go to then by having to sign as a FA. If it had gotten to the point where the Magic were ready to trade him to Houston, for example, and Dwight didn't want to sign with Houston long-term, his options at that point were to go to Houston and then sign as a FA for less money with the team of his chosing, or opt-in with Orlando, then use the fact that he still has a ton of leverage, to force a trade, this time with hopefully more teams that he wants to go to competing for his services.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I laughed out loud at this line.

4. Nook

Nook Member

He broke LeBron and Bosh to Miami well before anyone else, same with Iverson to Nuggets.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I cannot think of an NBA player that I respect less as a competitor and man. The guy is soft, weak, two faced, exhibits cowardice and has no issue quiting on his team.

6. Asian Sensation

Disagree on all accounts. Soft and weak???? Really? He's only been one of the most durable big men in the game that can make an impact on both sides of the court. Definitely the most dominant big man in the league for a while now. He's been nothing but good to the Magic fans, teammates, organization and even SVG prior to this years fallout but **** gets old after a while.

I blame the Magic for not doing a better job to get him ample help. A washed up Gilbert Arenas, Vince Carter, J-Rich, Turkoglu, overpriced/overrated Rashard Lewis, one year wonder Nelson have been the 2nd best player next to him over the years and this year it was Ryan Anderson.

If I could build a team with anybody in the league it would be Dwight #1 over Lebron, Kobe and Durant. If Howard had a legit #2 star around him over the years he would already have a ring or two. Even with that said he led the Magic as far as he could over the years.

I'm glad to know he'll be going somewhere worthwhile after this season.

7. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

It's OK to request a trade, but don't be a drama queen. Melo was in the same situation last year and he at least handled it well. It's really girly to change mind like girl changes clothes.

8. houseofglass21

This guy doesn't have the heart of a champion no matter where he goes. He strikes me as very immature and a big wuss. He's one of the softest big men around in the NBA.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

And the Rockets are back in the mix with 2 first rounders :p

10. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Thank you Dwight, for making a mockery out of the NBA!

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

The van gundys have some stones man. He didnt back down from the howard asking him to get fired. its refreshing seeing coaches like this instead of coaches who want to play it all cool.

love those guys.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Your hero requested a trade, if he didn't get his way.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Honestly, I do not think he wants to come to Houston, some sort of way, he is going to want a 3 team deal.

This thread is turning into an NBA fantasy thread. Houston just is not an attractive option, no superstars, mediocre team, and I'm not sure how likeable Morey is by players.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We're going to go balls out after him.

Not sure we'll get him, but we will be offering a very competitive trade package.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This. (Although Howard could have handled the situation waaaaaay better. And might still want to leave for a bigger market and bigger $$$$$$$$.)

The Cavs did much the same by surrounding LbJ with second-tier vets. Although he might've left anyway.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He would probably prefer to be traded to the Clippers and play with Chris Paul. And Orlando would probably accept Deandre Jordan and Blake Griffin if it came down to it. Don't know if the Clippers are willing to do that deal.

The Lakers would maybe deal Bynum for him.....but only if he commits to sign there long term. Dwight may finally agree to do that and the Lakers may agree to trade Bynum for him and Orlando may agree to a straight up swap. That is, if Bynum signs long-term in Orlando since he will playing on his last year also.

Other than the Clippers, Dwight would prefer to be traded to the Nets or Mavs. They have nothing to offer in trade that Orlando wants. Orlando will trade him to us against his wishes before they trade him somewhere he wants to go for pittance. And we will give up a lot to have him in town for a year in order to entice DWill to sign here.

Howard will have to understand his limits. He cannot control his destiny until he reaches free agency. If he is traded, it comes down to what is the maximum value that Orlando can get for him through trade?

At the most it's the Clippers, Lakers, and Rockets at this time in the Dwight Howard trade sweepstakes....and I'm not even sure either LA team is in it.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I really, really, hope so. There's not one thing on this roster I would hold out in a trade for him.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Lowry, Martin, and Scola + Picks + Cash is a pretty nice little rebuilding package for Orlando.

Let's hope they bite.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Actually please look at my Thread on the possibility of getting Dwight...
    I really wanted him but many fans just tossed the idea aside...
    First have to trade KMart to Minnesota for their pick...(like 16 or 17) that way we have 3 first round picks this year...Use two of the higher picks to move up into the top ten...Call Orlando and put a package with the New Picks and give them Scola Lowry and Dalembert...we will take back Dwight and Turk..Then with the excellent remaining cap space...bring Deron williams here to Houston...then fill around these two stars...just imo...but not a lot of folks thinks this is even possible