1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen. A. Smith.: BOSH THROWS MONKEY WRENCH IN STAR TRIO, WORKING ON S&T WITH HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree we are his backup to the backup date.

DD

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe, or maybe it's just part of negotiating. Toronto's leverage on Bosh is their option to not to a S&T, thus costing Bosh the extra year and extra $30 mil. So, they are playing that leverage. Only natural.

3. TheresTheDagger

Wade isn't the only one playing the game. Go Toronto!

4. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

They would rather SnT than let him go for NOTHING. I don't think Bosh is grandstanding at all either and this is just standard language. You still have some huge names out there with LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Boozer, Amare and JJ not having signed the dotted line yet.

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Guys, I think the value play here is to offer Chicago expiring contracts for Joachim Noah that add up to 25% less than his salary. Derrick Rose is still on his rookie contract, right?

6. worzel gummidge

I dunno, it's beginning to sound like the Rockets aren't an option just a tool being used by Bosh/Toronto.

Is it because Bosh has decided on either Mia/Chi and Toronto are now trying to extract as much as they can in a S&T from one of those teams?

7. somenobody

somenobody Member

Why only Bosh asked S&T, but other free agents, like Wade and LeBrone didn't? I understand Toronto wants a S&T. But Bosh is a unrestrict free agent. He can choose whatever team he thinks can bring him wins 100% freely, can't he? Is it because he put money over wins? Opions?

8. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that there is any doubt that the Rockets are not Bosh's first or second choice. It is telling that he did not even have an official visit with the Rockets. What I do not get it how it benefited Bosh to not meet with the Rockets.
    Had Bosh met with the Rockets, his agent could have put more pressure on Miami and Chicago to aquire Bosh in a S&T.

The best bet for the Rockets is for LeBron to go back to Cleveland, Wade to go back to Miami and the Bulls and Heat refuse to do a S&T. The Heat are low on assets and the Bulls may not wish to give up as much as the Rockets.

Something else to consider is a trade. Chris Paul will be moved. The Hornets are going no where fast and Paul will want out. The Rockets are full of assets to move, and would be able to strike a deal with the Hornets that other teams could not.

Chris Paul > Bosh....

Real pie in the sky would be getting both.... not likely, but the Rockets have the assets to make it happen. Now THAT would be interesting indeed.

9. rox0607champs

rox0607champs Member

Probably so or maybe they want more from the rockets and they are not budging....hmmm

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Summer Song Giver

SAS is working on the players behalf to give them more leverage, it is his only use to anyone anymore, he is otherwise irrelevant.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

That extra $30 mil is kind of a myth anyway. The yearly max salary is the same, it's just that the Craptors can offer him a 6th year, while others can only offer 5. It might come into play for someone like Kobe, if he were a FA this year, but Bosh is young and will sign another max contract when this one expires, so he'll likely end up making MORE during that 6th year than if he were to lock himself into a 6th year now at today's max contract price.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It seems like Toronto doesn't want to play ball with Miami or Chicago.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that it's all about money? We can offer him the max and can actually get a deal done with the Rapts.

The salary also escalates higher with the 6 yr offer. Bosh isn't going to give up the extra 30M and that's exactly why we are in the convo.

14. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Do you have the link to his twitter? I did not see this at http://twitter.com/jadande
    Thanks.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'd have to disagree. If the contract were only 5 years, at the end of those five years he could sign another max for 5-6 years but the starting salary would go back down, to like 18-20M or whatever it is that older veteran's base salary on the max would be.

If he got 6 years on the other hand, he could still sign another max after the deal ends (and he'll be a year older, say 30-31 instead of 29-30), but he would also have that 25M from the last year of the 6yr contract. I think that's a huge difference, and potentially ~30M over the course of the contract that will not be recouped over the course of a career. At the minimum it's a 25-20 = 5M difference that one year plus the 5M over the other 5 years that are lost, so that's 10M that you lose from signing a 5year deal and getting a second max deal rather than doing a 6year deal and signing another max. Injuries can and will derail all of those calculations, but from a year-to-year salary analysis it's a 10M loss at minimum and potentially much much greater.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think its because Lebron and Wade can make up that money through endorsements, and shoe deals, etc. But it would be more difficult for Bosh to do that, which is why his insisting on a sign and trade in order to get the extra 30 million/6th year on his contract. (at least thats what I think :) )

--RB

17. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

The max only has bearing on the first season, and even then, only if it's more than the guy's last salary plus 5%.

18. rox0607champs

rox0607champs Member

aired on espn...sorry no link but it was just reported again about 2 mins ago...

19. Jblazea50

Jblazea50 Member

The extra $30 mil isn't a myth in anyway. If he does a S&T, his yearly pay increase is 10.5% (i think) instead of the 8% if he signs he 5 year contract. That's about $5 mil in the 1st 5 year. It's the year 6 that'll give him more than $25mil. Yes, he is young and can get another contract. BUT, what if he gets injured and isn't capable anymore? Then he won't be able to get another big contract to make up the difference. No one knows how he'll perform in year 5 so it's best for him to take the guaranteed money ($25+mil) now rather than wait and see if he still possess the skills to receive another large contract 5 years from now.

20. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.