1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith - “Chris Paul wants out”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, Jun 14, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It makes sense to pay him more like 2 yrs 90 million........so you can get out of it earlier.

Kawhi is smart about it, he will likely extend his stay in Toronto but only for one more year. Or he walks.

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Paul has player option.

Not sure if he can opt out when he is traded.
    He can help the team out by opting out of contract.
    Tilman don’t have to lowball house and mda if Paul opt out.
    Best idea ever?

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

So why use him as a 1 on 1 scorer? He is a playmaker he thrives in motion/fastbreak. Opposite to what we done last year

Nelly and hakeem94 like this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

CP3 declined last year. He's 34, it happens. I agree that the Rockets play too slow though. Too many possessions vs set defenses.

tycoonchip likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He's no Marcus Morris for sure.

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

CP3 quit on this team year before last.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Lmao!!! I know right

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

CP3 wanted a slower pace, and no one tells him what to do with the ball when it's in his hands. He can run, iso, pnr, whatever he wants.

He needs to be able to score on big men who get switched on to him. You can't be a Ricky Rubio on our team for $38m.

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Our two PGs play slowly as hell though, I know we play the slowest pace in the league like Memphis but it is still not attractive.

Dribble, dribble, dribble and 3.

I wished we had Trae Young.......

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have to question this line of thinking - that it's "the only chance / way to avoid the repeater tax"

That's simply inaccurate.

First of all to get the repeater label you have to have been IN the tax 3 of the previous 4 years. Only then is the repeater triggered.

They haven't been taxpayers at all. So the slate is clean.

Lets say that they did pay the tax last season , they still have to pay the tax in 2 of the next 3 years and then the next year would be a repeater year IF they remained taxpayers.

I cap the IF because …. any time a team wants to dump salary , they can do it. They can give away talented players , they can give away picks to get teams to take their contracts.

And the kicker here is CP3's final year …. they could just waive and stretch him or trade him to someone wanting to create cap space.

There is never a situation where you cant dump salary.

Basically what I'm stating is that preparing ahead of time to avoid the repeater tax is just a piss poor way to operate , if you are trying to win championships do that while yo have the best player in the game and maximize every opportunity and asset , dump salary later. It really isn't hard to get teams to take good players for nothing in return.

pippendagimp likes this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

How can you run a set when:
    1. We didnt practice any cause we dont practice, and when we do we use iso as system
    2. Your superstar stands still on halfcourt

I get that cp has regresed but it doesnt mean we should force him to something he never was

12. blackistan

blackistan Member

Hoping we find a trade partner and get a decent return for him but if this story is true then when does the narrative might become is Harden the issue since players like Dwight and CP want out after playing with him

Nelly likes this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Really? Dwight?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as i mentioned all year, it was a bullshiit excuse to save $$$

as it stands right now i think it's likely they blow the whole thing up next summer anyways, so this story worrying about 4yrs down the line was utter crap

if this POS tilman was unwilling to spend in the year of wilt harden, why the F would anyone expect him to spend on a team with a past his prime harden and 37yr old CP0???

it's obvious after what tilman did this year that this franchise is not going anywhere until he sells

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ask yourself what impact CP3 has on the floor ? It ranges from mediocre to … suck. 27% 3 point percentage and 1:61 assist to turnover ratio in the playoffs.

I'd take 6 players ranging from mediocre to suck that break up that $40m a year cap hit.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

They play slow as hell. They don't have to. One of them creates points/assists at an all-time elite rate when playing slow as hell. The other doesn't.

Paul needs to pick up the pace (and tbh he did towards the end of the season). But regardless of that, it is not optional for him to be able to beat big men 1 on 1 when Harden is off the floor, nor is it optional for him to be a deadly catch and shoot scorer when the ball is in Harden's hands.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You know I'm not gonna argue the point , we've been on the same page here for a while now.

If it had been me , I may have just ridden out Ryno's contract for another year and saved all the assets it cost me to dump him (Ryno>BK>Shumpert)and used those assets and his expiring to make a "splash".

I think Morey would have preferred that route as well …. but had orders from the top that the tax was a line in the sand he could not cross. Its absolutely obvious to anyone who can add 2+2 that every move was orchestrated with a single goal in mind … and that goal wasn't winning a championship.

#217 Corrosion, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I understand the tax just fine. I’m saying this would have been the easiest year to duck under because it’s likeky they will pay the tax the next few years while hopefully staying competitive.

Unless the Rockets shift and decide to blow it up in a couple of years they should be paying the tax.

Do I agree that it’s a piss poor way to operate? Yes, especially while Harden is in his prime and they have a chance to win. I feel like the Rockets should have improved this team at the deadline which would have most likely had them paying the tax. We heard about the J Green deal (would have made the Rockets tax payers) which supposedly fell through. Did it? I have my doubts, but we will never know.

19. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

This idea that Harden handicaps CP3 because he just stands there doesn't hold water when Harden can sit on the bench and CP3 is free to run it the way he wants and he still doesn't do anything. 90% of his possessions is him dribbling around like a headless chicken until he has no choice but to jack up a contested three he has no hope of making. At least Harden's much vilified dribbling has a point to it.

dlite316, BMoney, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

This poeple act like harden is holding cp3 back.

Cp3 joined harden so he can get past the second round and he can be the backup up pg