1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephan Curry is unguardable...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 31, 2015.

1. what

what Member

The grizzlies don't even try to stop curry, they try to shut down Klay Thompson instead.

Curry can't score 100 by himself. It was same strategy teams used with MJ.

2. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Klay thompson aint hard to shut down

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The only way to stop Curry is by diving into his knees.
    Many have tried, all have failed to stop him.

4. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Westbrook belongs in this conversation.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Will Curry guard WB? I think not.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All elite players are unstoppable. It really just comes down to how consistent they are, how many games are they just simply unstoppable?

But making tough shots consistently is the mark of a superstar player pretty much.

7. i3artow i3aller

Rubio is our only hope.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

no he wont guard john wall either, or even a broken down derrick rose.. he will guard guys like patrick bevereley and ish smith though

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

A lot of jelly and but hurt in this thread .

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Curry just kills teams. It's really nuts how a game can be close for the most part and then Curry just gets hot and puts it out of reach with his insane shot selection and play making to set others up.
    I would really love to see him carry a weaker team though and see how much he could average. You would think this guy would go down as one of the best scorers ever but his 24ppg peak is really meh and he's already 27. He's not even a 50, 40 90 club when Bird was 50 40 90 averaging 30, 10, 7. Those #'s make your eyes pop, Curry's not so much.

I don't know what it is, but watching Kobe or TMac catch fire was more exciting. Seeing Curry just throw up a wild 3 from super deep is just so common that it doesn't do anything for me. That's how good he is. Those shots are like watching another player take layups.
    I'd like to see him get no less than 20 fga per game for the rest of his career and see how many points he can score because he's not going to be anywhere near the best scorers all time unless he plays to 40 with this kind of production.

I loved Curry since Davidson and remembered day dreaming of the Rockets somehow drafting him, but the swag stuff has really bugged me since last season. The way he just kind of stops what he's doing and stares out at the crowd after nearly every play and the mouth piece thing and the complaining/flopping on shots(like westbrook) get on my nerves. He seems so fake to me. I don't buy the whole humble kid angle. He's the snobby rich kid douche who knows how to say the right things for the cameras and PR. I do love him as strictly a basketball player though. When i was a kid, i always tried to play basketball and also create myself in video games as a Reggie Miller/Jason Kidd hybrid. Curry is everything i imagined/day dreamed of being. I'm sure it's the same for many young kids growing up. I'm 4 years older than Curry but maybe he got the same influences from those 90s ballers being around them his whole life.

1 person likes this.
  11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Curry is a top 3 player in the NBA right now. Dude is amazing.

12. dream2franchise

A major problem here is, focusing your defense on Curry leaves you vulnerable to the Warriors excellent shooters and passers. Many top players just don't have that luxury.

He's unguardable in that sense I agree. I think on a different team with scrubbier players he could be contained somewhat. You don't think Leonard is up to that task? A focused (restrained) Westbrook maybe?

13. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

Teams have been doing it with Lebron once in a while too. Look at the last finals loss the spurs with the Heat and last year against the Warriors.

One man can't win a best of 7. Last year was probably the closest thing to that we've ever seen. Lebron took the best team in the league to 6 games, switch Lebron and Curry and I don't think he can take the Cav's to the finals in that east.

Curry is great but he's in a great system, great team and clearly an incredible coach. He has a lot of advantages others don't get. I believe Kerr is very responsible for Curry's success, that roster made almost no adjustments from Mark Jackson to Kerr transition and they won a title.

I don't think Curry is the reason for that. I'm still a firm believer is an irrelevant position in the NBA now and teams can win titles without an elite PG. I think Draymond is more vital to that teams success than Curry.

I personally think Curry's "peak" will only last as long as that team stays together.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Stephen Curry has essentially made it cool to be a long distance shooter. The dunk has always being something that amps up a crowd and generates so much excitement for the players. Curry has found a way to utilize the 3 point shot to do the same. The three point shot is the new "slam dunk."

I'm still perplexed at the amount of hate he gets for being proficient at shooting. If he gets little kids around the nation to focus on shooting mechanics and touch, we could get a new crop of sensational stars that have the ability to demoralize teams just by shooting.

As for him staring at the crowd, or other crap that folks come up to hate him...that is so petty(aside from the chewing on his mouthguard; thats just unsanitary). He has worked very hard to be were he is in his NBA career. He was just a scrawny little kid, and now he is a top 3 NBA player.

This thread is just to point out that his newly refined skills in combination with his elite level shooting has made him unguardable.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

You guys forgot to wipe that "Curry" off your lips.

He is a great player but he is not a goat.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes he is.

DD

17. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

This is all good, except saying Green is more vital to their success. His shooting threat makes that team go. Green is definitely by far their second most valuable player. It's really a question of which is more important offense or defense.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dude came in and was called undersized and had a ton of injury problems his first couple of years. Now look at him; most popular player in terms of all star votes and maybe even jersey sales. Oh and a MVP and a championship. How can you hate on this guy?

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

He is the best shooter ever.

Period.

20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have nothing but respect for the work this dude has put in to be one of the best in the game. Cutting edge training. Always pushing himself. And he just keeps getting better.