1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steph Curry to coach Bud, Harden reportedly wants to play different offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Feb 16, 2019.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

The "can't win in the playoffs with iso ball" narrative is pretty ridiculous. The Rockets came very, very close to knocking off one of the best teams in NBA history with this system. And the Warriors had to deviate from their "beautiful basketball" to beat the Rockets and played a crapload of iso in that series because the Rockets switching defense wouldn't let them play "beautiful basketball".

If Harden doesn't like this system and wants to play some other style, that's certainly his prerogative. But that's almost like Dwight wanting to post up instead of setting ball screens and rolling to the basket, when he was so much more effective doing the latter. Sending Harden through a maze of off ball screens to shoot spot up threes coming off picks isn't how you maximize his skill set.

Also, the whole convo is interesting because until they won the championship the big knock on the Warriors was that a jump shooting team supposedly couldn't win a championship.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol , Gasol a "solid vet"

The dude was like a 20/10/3 with 2 blocks.

He was one of the best players in the league

I'll agree that outside of gasol and Kobe they just had a "solid" roster .

But two elite guys and a solid roster around them is really all you can ask for

apollo33, Lawlruschang and hakeem94 like this.
  3. mockster

mockster Member

Didn’t say he has major help I’m just saying his team doesn’t suck. SF position could use a major upgrade but we’re not a weak team.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

MDA is just adhering to Daryl.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You're right. What the Rockets did last season honestly makes me think that was one of the greatest teams of all time, if not the greatest. I don't think any team in league history would have beaten a fully healthy Rockets squad from last season. CP3 and Harden were historically efficient from the ISO and they had amazing synergy with Capela. Our team defense was stellar, and our other guys could hit their threes.

This is not the same team from last season, whether that be from injuries or from our older plays regressing, and the new guys not being able to pick up the same production of the guys that left.

D-rock, Rustyrig, chadyang and 2 others like this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

But he's always been soft. Good offensive center but weak defensively at times. Other than that I agree

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Last year and the year before he was much better abt passing early in shot clock and shooters were willing to take those early, open, and often very deep threes (Ryno) — and make them consistently. Harden isn’t making those passes and when he does shooters aren’t willing to let it fly. That’s partially bc teams are flying out at us on the perimeter bc they know we have a bunch of old guys and sissies that aren’t willing to take it to the rim hard.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think that's just the perception because he's Europeanand skinny . He had a game Based on skill vs power .

He was called "soft" in that era , but would not be called soft today

justtxyank and Mathloom like this.
  9. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

Harden didn’t say that

The warriors are trying to pull a fast one on casuals

10. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

Remmeber the Saturday night prime time lakers game, we got down 20 because the lakers were denying harden the ball and nobody else could make an open jump shot

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

Lol

Lol eg, tucker and cp3 are playing well below their career averaged

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Mind games anyone? Apparently, Harden and the Rockets are living in the Warriors heads. I think we scared them last year. No worries guys, we are not the same team. Relax you got this.

D-rock, BigM and Rocket River like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sounds to me like, if anything, Harden was expressing a distaste for having to carry the load with the team having major injuries.

Not "I don't like MDA's offense," but "I don't like having to play hero ball because I have no one I can depend on."

Totally understandable. Nothing at all to see here.

(Curry's still a punk, tho.)

SWTsig, cmmt44, D-rock and 9 others like this.
  14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Exactly. People are taking what Harden said and spinning to mean whatever they want. Usually in a very negative way.

This is much ado about nothing.

topfive likes this.
  15. SemisolidSnake

That's exactly what I heard as well.

harold bingo and topfive like this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Why is this fool talking about harden to begin with?

Mind your own business. Warriors always starting ****.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's bullshit. No way Harden is running around screens and taking assisted shots. Not his game apart from a small flare screen so he can get the ball when he's getting pressed. He don't have the body for that anyway, he's got the Lebron-lite body and he should continue to play the way he does.

18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Warmly welcome Luke Walton......

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Curry is a snitch? Why am I not surprised?

D-rock likes this.
  20. seeingred

seeingred Member

This offense is a direct response to GSW. Let's say our "Plan A" was to imitate them and sign several all stars/perennial MVP candidates who can shoot, pass, and cut above league average.

We failed (along with 28 other teams). Now we're on to Plan B. Yes GSW is beautiful to watch: secondary and tertiary actions, off ball wizardry and skip passes. But it's also prone to turnovers as we've seen. And when you switch everything it's prone to ISO ball which takes klay and draymond out of the equation.

Last year's Rockets were meant to be an '85 Bears type team to take on an offensive juggernaut. Less passes = less turnovers = less fast break points. Drives to the rim *should* = free throws to slow the game down. Heavy threes to space the floor and (hopefully) make them pay when they collapse on Harden/Paul. PnR to punish their switches and leave their worst defender on an island against our best player.

A switching defense to render all that pretty off ball movement useless and ensure every 3 comes with a contest. And an athletic Center who can keep up on the perimeter and implement a no fly zone in the paint.

This is the model. It's not pretty. It might not be fun to watch, apparently not fun to play. But it did take them to the brink of elimination 9 months ago - something no one else has come close to doing since Durant's arrival.

Don't like this style? Blame the superfriends.

D-rock and clutchdabear like this.