1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steph Curry or Isiah Thomas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by underrated015, May 25, 2015.

1. jae713

jae713 Member

I LOL'd at this. Didn't really see Isaiah play much. Curry seems to be a very good player but even more popular than he is good. We will have to wait a couple of years before declaring him an all time great.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Curry would destroy him

3. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Not sure I'd even call Curry greater than even Gary Payton at this point.

4. verysimplejason

hmmm... Did you not see Tony Allen and Ariza guarding him for extended periods?

5. verysimplejason

It will greatly depend on what type of offense you'd like to run for both of them. GP's offense run best with very good PFs. Curry's with good shooters and screeners. In the end, I'd take Curry's offense due to his flexibility. Defensively? GP though Curry's got an underestimated adequate though not great perimeter defense.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Isiah only won 60 games 1 time.

7. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Does being better at shooting threes make one better than one who is a more creative scorer from all points on the floor?

Payton's best scoring year was 24 points per game, pretty much the same as Curry's point totals this year. Payton scored 1982 points that year and Curry this year scored 1900 points. But Payton shot substantially less 3 pointers, meaning to get to his 24 point average he had to attack the paint more than Curry would have to.

Payton also is one of the top 5 perimeter defenders of all time. Payton's game is more rounded as a point guard. If you took them one-on-one in their primes, I think Payton would beat Curry no doubt.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

payton would have put curry in foul trouble every 1st quarter posting him up at will

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He also beat prime Jordan, prime Drexler and still very good Magic/Larry.

The eastern conference was much better then.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't understand why we are discussing Isiah. They are not very similar players at all, and Isiah is far from being the GOAT at PG. And, I don't even think Curry is used as a PG that much.

11. verysimplejason

Being able to shoot 3s at a high percentage? Yup. So GPs attacking the paint more, you forgot to add that Kemp is there for his drop passes and their pick n rolls entails more penetration from GP. Nobody plays one-on-one in the NBA so your point is? What I had said is it entirely depends on the play a team is running. Will GP be more effective when you run those screens in the perimeter just like Curry? At the same time, will Curry be more effective if you've got to play with somebody like Kemp? Can GP be still as effective as he was with hand check disabled in the current NBA? If you can't even compare them in the same light, same game, same type of play, how are you going to say that GP is better than Curry?

12. verysimplejason

It will not be Curry vs GP at the onset. GP will be guarded by Thompson or Iggy. Curry will only guard him very less of the time.

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Seth Curry duh

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

then curry on kendall gill or detlef schrempf would be even worse. hersey hawkins would be a tough matchup for him as well

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well, Gary Payton was better than Isiah too

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah, the guy who lead the Pistons past Bird's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, & Magic's Showtime Laker's would get "destroyed" by... Stephen Curry? ROFLMAO:grin:

Why because Jrue Holiday, Mike Conley & Jason Terry couldn't guard him?:rolleyes:

You either NEVER watched Isaiah in his prime or just truly delusional.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Isaiah was a scoring PG... much like Curry is.

Thomas and Dumars shared ball-handling duties.

I think the comparison is just... in the fact that Isaiah is that much better than Curry ever has been, not even close, and yet Curry is being anointed by everyone in a way that comparable players in different (better) eras never were.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Imagine if you couldn't hand check Zeke or KJ!

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Please spell his name correctly. I played against Isiah in HS, when he was at St Joseph's and Aquirre was at Westinghouse. They both came down to the cornfields to test their mettle against Bobby Knight's motion offense. Little did they know, our Coach had us ready the whole season to run a fast break against them. We were, after all, the best downstate basketball program in Illinois history. Which means, we had already adjusted, to what the Chicago Public League was expecting. They weren't expect up tempo. Fastbreak. "No Dribbles, boys. No Dribbles. Rebound, Pass Pass Pass."

You are mistaken if you think Thomas was a "scoring PG" in the mode of Curry. Curry doesn't even control the ball. This is not a comparison. I'm not saying one is better than the other; I'm saying this is a strange comparison. They are no where close to being similar PGs.

Argue this point with someone else. Because this is not arguable with me.

People always talk about the "hand check" era. And people fail to understand that this is the era of zone.

The hand check era ended with illegal defense. Now we can play zone. So, it offsets.

Stop this bs about Jordan and Isiah had it worse in the hand check era, when there could clear out the defense under illegal defense rules.

it offsets

Will anyone else understand this with me.

#59 heypartner, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Mr clutch is mr clueless on this one