1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein]Rockets one of VERY interested teams to steal Steve Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketsFan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think he said the Rockets roster, as currently assembled, is championship-caliber. He said they are good enough to make a run at the 8th or 7th seed (and that's with him projecting that it will take less than 45 wins to get there).

Rather, I would interpret his words as he thinks the Rockets have good enough players to transition from "good enough to make a run at the playoffs" to "championship caliber" without blowing up the team and going into tank mode. But to get there, trades would need to be made and young talent needs to be developed. I don't know if the strategy of building up a contending team on the fly rather than blowing it up and starting over is the right one. It seems like that's what the Rockets may be trying to do, though, if there's any truth to the Nash rumors.

2. Houston_Rockets

People don´t want Nash because he is 36 years????? LOOOOOOOL

Even LTF, a guy that thinks that we should tank and draft superstars, thinks this is a great possible trade.....

For the ones questioning why aren´t we going after a Center, don´t worry, if Nash comes to Houston, Gortat wil come with him.

Gortat
    Scola
    Battier or T.Will
    Martin
    Nash

This team would be great, and after that, you simply do one thing, trade Scola or Martin, or both, for a superstar SF, because we have HILL, LEE and possibly T.will, that can be very efficient role players.

Gortat
    Hill
    Melo (this guy is the only SF available, he would love to play with Nash)
    Lee
    Nash

Don´t you think that this team would create real problems for LA???

I know that it would be difficult to land Nash plus Gortat, but if you can do it without giving up, Hill, Scola, Martin, you do it no matter what. Nash has ATLEAST 3 years where he will be easily a 15p 10a baller, you can´t teach b-ball IQ, and you don´t lose it with age, Nash is the smartest player in the NBA IMO

PeAcE

3. durvasa

Ranking in Offensive Efficiency of Nash's Teams in last 10 years:

Code:
    01-02: 1st
    02-03: 1st
    03-04: 1st
    04-05: 1st
    05-06: 2nd
    06-07: 1st
    07-08: 2nd
    08-09: 2nd
    09-10: 1st
    10-11: 3rd

Amazing.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

3rd?!? He's going to breakdown anytime now.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Dropped all the way to 3rd this year.....his old age must be catching up with him.

6. durvasa

7. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

But Nash is old and his teams have poor offensive efficiency.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He's clearly still a great player and much better than any other options we have. People raise good points in worrying what our next step would be after acquiring him.. or if we even have the type of pieces necessary to acquire him.

I imagine it would take a lot, especially when you look at adding Gortat to the deal -- the Suns GM has said that he's already received multiple calls regarding Gortat (probably 3/4ths from Morey). So most likely, you're not getting Gortat+Nash for Brooks and a salary dump. It's going to take a 1st rounder and probably some other assets.

If you are able to acquire him, are you going to have enough assets left to acquire 2nd tier guys to put around him? I don't think we're that deep, especially after trading our 2012 1st rounder for Terrence. Now the only draft pick we can trade is the Knicks 2012 1st rounder in deals.

Steve Nash going on the market certainly makes you look long and hard at him. We just have to make sure that we'd have enough left over after the trade to fill in the holes around him.

1 person likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This season, Nash is averaging 10.2 assists per game, which is about what he averaged the previous 5 seasons, when he also shot better than 50% from the field and 43% from downtown. He'll be an expiring contract next season, somewhere around $11 million. Frankly, I can't think of anyone who would thrive more than Nash in Adelman's system. If we traded Brooks for him, we wouldn't have to worry about paying big bucks to Aaron this summer. Lowry would be the perfect backup to Nash and could take over when he finishes out his contract, if he isn't moved as an expiring. I think the experience would be highly educational for Kyle, to say the least.

I can see why Morey and, most likely, Adelman would want him. What I don't understand is why the Suns would trade him. He's their franchise player and very popular with the fans. If we could get him for AB and filler, I'd jump all over it.

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

That's a nice stat. Now what is the defensive efficiency of those teams?

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's not point in acquiring Nash unless you can couple him with some great interior players.

Maybe if we were going to acquire Carmelo Anthony or someone amazing then we'd also make a move for Nash. That would make sense.

But Nash alone can't fix this team.

12. durvasa

Nash would make it much easier to recruit another star player. He's highly respected, and many scorers would love to play next to play next to him.

13. Muaz

Muaz Member

Cmon guys if Morey pulled this off we would all be calling hm a demigod OK? and plus this wouldnt be his only move if we were to trade it'd be something like this.

Suns
    Kevin Martin
    Kyle Lowry
    Jordan Hill
    Draft Pick

Houston
    Steve Nash
    Josh Childress

Then Morey would turn around and do this

Bobcats
    Shane Battier
    Chase Budinger
    Trade Exception $3 million
    Trade Exception $2.5 million
    Draft Pick

Rockets
    D.J. Augustin
    Gerald Wallace
    Matt Carroll

Finally this

Cavaliers
    Jarred Jeffries
    Terrance Williams
    Rockets
    Anderson Varejao
    Leon Powe

You see? we're not only looking for Nash we'd be looking to bring other players too.

So we'd probably roll with

Steve Nash
    Courtney Lee
    Gerald Wallace
    Luis Scola
    Anderson Varejao

Not too shabby huh?

This probably won't happen but thats what he'd do. Make a move here make one there, and tuduh elite team

He's just gotta find the first piece then move on from there. and in this case that first piece is Nash.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ya think?

15. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

yuck :rolleyes:

16. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

this is just crazy lololololololololol steve nash just lolololololololol

with the improvement in the back court the rockets have is just crazy i don't want them now at his age : just to remember it's gonna be a set back for the team ala charles barkley

17. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Nash + Lopez or Gortat would be very cool.. :grin:

18. vince

vince Member

Morey is involved in every deal!!! Come on, that's smart business. But remember, Morey has a plan and all the pieces must fit in the plan.

Heck who wouldn't do a deal of Jeffries, Battier, Brooks or Lowry? Who knows what hand Morey is comfortable with, but I think Morey is keeping the whole picture front and center.

I don't think Morey trades Martin, Scola, or Hill because those guys are going to be the core by the end of the season. Martin and Scola already are, Hill is coming along real nicely. His defense is getting vastly improved.

Nash / Lowry or Brooks (the guy not getting traded)
    Martin
    Terrence
    Scola
    Hill / Miller

Uhmm, I like that team!!!!

19. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

They're running the SAME play.. why cant we stop it?

20. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

Trading for Steve Nash is exactly the kind of move the Rockets should AVOID making. It's one of those land mine moves that desperate teams make and it rarely, if ever, works. Contenders can't be made out of patchwork.

I've got a lot of love for the guy, but I really don't think a 37 year old Steve Nash is going to magically turn Jordan Hill into the second coming of Amar'e.

There's no doubt Morey is on the lookout for a star. Shouldn't we all be hoping that star is relatively young and entering his prime, instead of one who's rapidly approaching the twilight of his career? An effective 37 year old is still a 37 year old. You simply don't try to build around someone that age.