1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein]Rockets one of VERY interested teams to steal Steve Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketsFan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who's saying they are looking to add Nash and no one else?

And I agree, there are far better teams out there, for Nash to join, for Chris Paul to join, for Chris Bosh to join, etc. But that doesn't mean if you are the Rockets you don't go after these guys because they likely prefer another place. You may fail, but doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's not going to be easy even to acquire him, let alone two stars. Nash isn't likely to wait around till the beginning of the next season. We aren't the only game in town.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why would both Hayes and battier be getting siginificant minutes around nash? I can see Battier still getting it, since he may be the only or best choice at SF, but with Nash you put Jhill in there for more minutes, maybe some Twilliams at the three. Even, still, Chuck can probably run a solid pick and roll and/or make solid cuts with nash that will result in layups. Battier is shooting the three better the last several games and he's smart enough to make good cuts, like chuck. With Nash at the point, he's more likely to because he's not always in scoring mode like Brooks. I just wouldn't worry too much about how he's going to fit with our 2 worst offensive players when we'll have options in front of them.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Wrong. I said that we needed to break up our core three because none of them are capable of taking over a game and completely dominating from start to finish. With the trade market bare except for second-tier talent, I don't see the point in continuing along the same path while making incremental upgrades.

Steve Nash, a franchise player, is not an incremental upgrade. Just like Carmelo Anthony wouldn't be. And even then, I've never said that the Rockets should 100% pursue this. Nash is older but he has shown zero signs of slowing down. It depends on what we give up for him and whether we can realistically compete for a championship with that roster.

And of course you don't build around Steve Nash -- that implies you have a big window. If you deal for Steve, you need to push all your chips in to the middle and bring in those second-tier guys to surround him with. You were the guy who told me we had a 'treasure trove' of assets after all -- couldn't we dip into that 'trove' to add pieces around Nash?

Ha! If you were consistent in your 'beliefs,' then you would be all for this trade.. you know, considering it's apparently 'EXACTLY THE TYPE OF MOVE' you've wanted the Rockets to pursue. Your 'belief' is for the Rockets to continue down the same path while upgrading their roster when one becomes available. Nash is available and would be a BIG upgrade, and yet you're against it. Pretty consistent I'd say..

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Isn't Nash signed for two seasons? Do you mean he might retire?

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It's interesting.

If the rockets acquire Nash (and begin to play his way) I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin lead the league in scoring or at least get close to it. This could possibly boost his trade value enough to land that superstar player.

You'd think the suns would want to do right by Nash and trade him to a contender though.

#86 pmac, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. saleem

No.I meant he could walk away at the end of the season and leave us with nothing in return.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I'm looking for a last minute gift idea. Where did you get that crystal ball telling you Adelman would adjust his lineup as soon as Nash arrived?

Forget Battier's last x number games. He was/is a Yao-dependent stand-still shooter. That's way you could plot a longer than 3 or 5 game chart showing has offensive drop-off. It would be worse with Nash.

Brooks and Lowery can coast to coast without help. Nash would need runnng mates.

Done discoursing the topic. Doubt the Rockets have the players even if they have the interest.

9. worzel gummidge

Re-visit the Prigioni and Scola pick and roll. Nash makes the weapons on the team better, Scola goes Super Saiyan Hell-aderia mode.

If the Rockets tank they need to do it in 2 to 3 years, get the timing right. Otherwise if the Rockets somehow attained a franchise player next year he'd be too young to compete. Next generation superstars don't really ever beat previous generation superstars until the latter get old.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So can Aaron Brooks, so could Scola and Lowry.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He doesn't think Nash would be a big upgrade. He felt that Brooks was already at Nash's level 2 years ago.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What does Nash bring to the defense? He has never played defense... not with the Mavs or Suns.

Nash has a history of wearing down at the end of seasons. Look at how effective Jason Kidd has been at the end of the last couple of seasons... or should I say ineffective.

Nash is 37 now. How many players are effective at 38 or 39? or especially 40? Not many. How many 37 year old players have led their teams to championsips?

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

We could, but we could also lose Nash regardless and not only have NOTHING to show for it, but have LOST the things we traded for it.

And really, who do you think would be more likely to resign? A young player who has played his whole career with us, or an older player who only has a few years left at most, and wants to either leave or win on a team capable of winning a championship now? (which we currently are not even with Nash)

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't know why I'm bother debating a guy who thinks that then.

edit: haha, I just looked up the thread you were talking about. He accused you of clamoring for star power too. I was wondering why he said that to me.. I don't think I've ever shown that I'm in love with big names. I guess it's just his go-to argument against trading for Nash.

#94 LongTimeFan, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  15. worzel gummidge

All the punters had it down that the Suns wouldn't do anything in the playoffs last season but they ended up in the WC finals.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Good point - an offer of Scola / Lowry / trade fodder might be in line, especially if we want to clear more cap space for the Summer of Dwight/Chris Paul/Deron Williams/Derrick Rose.

Funny side note - it always seems that it is the Rockets and Portland that are the names dropped as the teams calling to inquire on star players.

17. worzel gummidge

Lock in a very good player but ultimately a role player to a large and long contract when the Rockets are clearly at a crossroads? Or compete for the next two seasons? After Nash the Rockets will be in position to properly tank for that high lottery pick.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is exactly the KIND of trade I was talking about, but its not the right player unless he can be had for peanuts.

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

How can you not want to see Steve Nash as a Rocket? He's one of those guys that every NBA fan just... covets. He probably wouldn't make the team into an instant contender, but I think we make the playoffs with him on the roster. That's kinda sorta technically the first step in winning a championship. Plus he's so fun to watch, and makes his whole team fun to watch.

Basically, he's one of the very few guys in the NBA that can get the most out of Kevin Martin and Scola as second bananas. What would Phoenix want, though? I'm not sure we're in any position to trade multiple first rounders for one guy, but I don't have any other feasible suggestions for netting a superstar, either.

20. saleem

Aaron could,but he can be used in a trade for some one else. Scola and Lowry are locked into longer contracts. Everyone should be on the trade block,but we need a a two way star instead of Nash. I don't think we have the assets to get 2 superstars.