1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein]Rockets one of VERY interested teams to steal Steve Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketsFan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. dartherus

dartherus Member

Not likely Melo (his wife make the calls, and she wants to live at NY at any cost)....

but think about any other star playing SF or C....they'd love to play alongisde Nash, cause they Know Nash would make their numbers ans star status improve a lot....

2. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

In an ideal world, I would trade Yao, Brooks, Bud and some 1st round picks for Nash, Hill and Warrick (bad contract).

I can dream right?

3. Raven

Raven Member

Trade for Nash and trade for Carmelo. Then hope the short term success is enough to get Carmelo to re-sign. Perhaps that is what Les and Morey are thinking?

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Exactly, not opposed to Nash at all but he can't be the only move that is made because it won't be enough of an upgrade to crack that top 3 or 4 in the West.

5. liljojo

liljojo Member

Favorite player in the league. I was so glad when he left Dallas, so I could finally root for him.

I'd go nuts if he came to Houston.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Short term gain,no use in the long term. Look at it from Nash's point of view. He wants a ring,and we aren't going to be in a position to get one with him around.
    He could easily walk away at the end of the season,without agreeing to a trade as well.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I just read (someone tell me if what I have read so far is wrong) that Nash's contract extension is only until the 2011-2012 season, so even though it is well priced (22 million for two years) he might either want more money or leave if we haven't become a champion. Meanwhile we lose Brooks/younger quality players or draft picks for only a year and a half of competitive basketball.

So this seems like going for youth and smaller contracts is still the way to go over sacrificing to win now and we still won't win a championship with the current squad + Nash for two years (I thought he had at least 3-4 years on his contact, my mistake earlier)

8. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

I doubt the rockets would bring him in now. Lowry is shaping up to b a very good PG and can get better with time. I can see Lorwy averaging 9 assists or maybe W0 in the near future. I feel the only reason that the rockets would bring him in is to provide veteran experience for the young PGs much like what Miller can bring for JHill. Nash isn't a top priority for the rockets, a CLOSER is as well as size.

9. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

I don't know if it's just me but Carmelo is starting to look like Doug Christie. Carmelo let's his wife call all the decisions for him and we're just waiting for her to give him a curfue haha

10. saleem

I don't think we have the assets for it.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I proposed a trade for Nash and hill not too long ago....basically i think the rockets realize they dont have the players to be a top defensive team, but can be decent. So what do you do if you can have a solid offense and great D? The next best thing is to have a great offense and solid D.

Despite being able to score 100+, we still have bumps here and there and some stretches of non scoring. Nash solves that because not only is he a great offensive point, but we give him all kinds of options offensively.

Previously I figured we'd have to give up two rotation players, either brooks and Bud or Brooks and hill....with hill consistently improving we'll probably keep him...but now i think something else has changed and that's the acquisition of TW without giving up a rotation player...so if nash is available, then it makes it much easier to give up talent the Suns will want and still keep enough talent ourselves...

However, i tend to believe what the Suns said recently, that Nash is the face of the franchise and they won't consider trading him. I think Nash doesn't want to relocate and will play out his contract in Phoenix and then go to NY, since i believe he has a home there anyway.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Newsflash: Brooks's contract ends a lot sooner than Nash's does, so we could lose Brooks regardless and have NOTHING to show for it.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

oh, and for everyone talking about the long term effect....yes he's old, but the guy keeps himself in great shape and will be very durable and still play well like Kidd late in his career, i'd say 2-3 yrs after this one. Doesn't seem like much and some of you still think we need star, but ask yourselves this, who doesn't want to play with Nash?? Right now the yao situation is what keeps some players, espeically the great ones away. If we can get Nash and get the big names interested in houston once again, then it makes it a TON easier to let go of Yao. You can flip his expiring before the trade deadline, after acquiring nash, and that can put us in a good situation to get a star, who will get to play with Nash and not have Yao's durability to worry about.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Becuase he is old and getting older. This year or next could very well be his last. He's 37 now how long do you really think he will play. He does nothing to help our defense. Do you think he would still be on the team when we are contenders again?

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

LOL. Look at this and tell me why you think this year will be his last. Or next, for that matter. Nearly all of his numbers are right in line with his career highs, and he has no history of major injuries in the last DECADE.

Nash will play at LEAST three more years, barring major injury.

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Here's where the rubber meets the road IMHO. If you listen to...and believe...what you hear from Daryl Morey, the Rockets have already positioned themselves for life after Yao. And the current roster is a championship caliber team. He said as much while he sat between Drexler and Worrell during the MEM broadcast.

If that is truly how Morey feels...and it's not fluff commentary to sell tickets, then it's conceivable the Rockets will make a bid.

Personally, I'm on the fence. Nash is god-like in transition. But I doubt even he can elevate Hayes and Battier to a requisite level. Nash isn't a coast to coast transition PG (like say Tony Parker). He needs guys to run with him. (And no...Hayes' once-a-game transition basket doesn't qualify for much of anything in the category).

A risk that does not seem $Ball in nature. Although, Nash's contract does expire before the Summer of Dwight.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If you think about it, John Stockton played until age 41, and at age 41 had a PER of 21. Now, there's no guarantee Nash has 5 more years left of good basketball like Nash, but it's not all that far fetched. And it's not like even a younger guy (especially an undersized player who relies on his quickness)0 is guaranteed to have be good for another 5 years anyway.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe not Hayes and Battier, but this team gets plenty of transition baskets with the existing PG, Kyle Lowry. Scola, Budinger, Martin, Lee and Lowry all get plenty of transition buckets who can and do run with or without Nash.

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Agree, also consider that Lowry is a starting caliber PGuard. Nash won't need to play 32-35 minutes a game because Lowry can run the offense pretty darn well. Nash can be used down the stretch when he is truly dangerous and that will preserve him for the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  20. saleem

So what? He can go to a far better team than ours. His time clock is ticking whether you want to admit it or not,Nash isn't going to make us a winner by himself.