1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein]Rockets one of VERY interested teams to steal Steve Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketsFan, Dec 20, 2010.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Makes no sense for us to get Nash

Nash please go to a contender and get a ring, you know you deserve one

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What deal? Nash for __________ ? Nash + CHILDRESS for ___________ ?

The problem isn't just what comes in but how much goes out?

Nash or Josh Smith?

Nash or Gerald Wallace?

Nash or Kissin' Cousins?

Nash or __________ ?

BTW - Felton is kickin' with Knixies. While RF could slide to 2 how much of an upgrade would Nash really be for this, at this very time, Knixies team?

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why bring in Steve Nash?

(1) If we don't get something for Brooks right now, we could lose him in free agency. I'm not convinced the Rockets want to commit big dollars to him and Lowry and Martin.

(2) Nash would instantly be the best player on our team, and he's still playing at a high level. Age doesn't seem to affect him.

(3) Nash is a big name, he'll help us win now, and both those things will make it easier to attract another star to the team.

1 person likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nash, Lopez for Brooks (expendable), Jeffries (expiring), Budinger (AZ product), 2012 Knicks #1?

Nash/Lowry/Ish
    KMart/Lee
    Battier/T-Will
    Scola/Hill/2Pat
    Lopez/Miller/C-Wagon

Interesting thought. We definitely become better offensively AND defensively.

5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Lots of pros and cons, but I don't think we could win a championship with Nash without adding on to our defense with this already offensively strong team. We would probably win 50+ games with Nash, but our defense would probably prevent us from winning it all with how our team is now, I think.

And here is an article saying that they have no intention of trading him by their coach Alvin Gentry:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnwT8Xh6nPvwjGgltaIptyS8vLYF?slug=mc-sunstrade121810

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure, that's the best deal for Phoenix and fits neatly on any trade machine... ;)

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

doesn't make sense for nash to even want to come here.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The NBA is a perception-wins-in-the-playoffs league. Nash is a huge name. He remains better than Aaron Brooks in virtually all aspects of the game, except maybe defense where you would have to divide by zero to properly compare the two of them.

People always talk about how historically efficient Kevin Martin is. Well Martin's best true shooting percentages have been in the .600 to .620 range while Steve Nash has been above .615 each of the past six years and peaked at .654. Steve Nash makes the legendary 50-40-90 look easy; in fact he's done it each of the past five years and he only missed it six years ago because he was 88.7% from the FT line. He's redefined the standard in basketball for scoring efficiency, and it doesn't look like he's declining too much just yet.

I would love to have Steve Nash for the next two years if it only cost us Brooks, Budinger, a pick and contracts. He would turn Jordan Hill into Amare Lite, and as a team we would probably be guaranteed to shoot better than 40% from three as a team. On defense it would be pretty ugly, but you might be able to make it work by pairing him with Lee and bringing Martin and Lowry off the bench. Basically, we would be freaking nasty on O and only slightly worse than we are now on D. Nash took a hodgepodge team last year to the WCF; I think he could do at least that were he on our team this year.

1 person likes this.
  9. Garner

Garner Member

The Rockets getting Nash reads like so to me;

Morey brings in Nash to replace Brooks (as starting PG) and Battier (for the vet leadership qualities) whom are almost out the door already (some sort of pending trade we as fans are not privey to).

Nash in turn mentors Lowry and Ish to make that next step in there games.

As stated, he is a stop gap to sell tickets and actually accelerate the rebuilding of this team.

Nash replaces the leadership

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nash for Brooks, Jefferies, Budinger
    Gortat for TE from Ariza
    Maybe add a pick too but that might be too much.

Why the Suns do it?

Save money, along with a replacement at PG with Brooks and a prospect in Budinger.

Why Houston does it?

We basically trade Brooks for Nash and a starting C in Gortat. We instantly become a 55 win caliber team(might not get there this year). Nash is still good for at least 2 more years, and he will have a backup lineup to takeover in Lowry. Even after 2 years Nash can be the best backup PG in the league for God knows how long.

So obviously we get better, but will still be short of championship caliber. So why get better at all?

With Nash running the show, Kevin Martin, Scola, and even Hill's value will increase EXPONENTIALLY. Especially on a 55 win team. We keep that pace for the next few years, all the while try to trade up in the draft to get our true superstar for the future when another team overvalues our players.

Sign me up!!

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If the cost is Brooks + filler (expirings) then Morey shouldn't even blink.

I wish people would stop using Nash's age as an excuse to pass up on him. Yes, there are trends that say he should be breaking down any day now, but he's already shown that he is the exception to that rule. It would be one thing if his games played were declining, but he's essentially been an iron man and the consistency of his production is unparalleled.

One other factor to consider is that every superstar player in their right mind would love to play with Steve Nash. So on top of being an incredible player in his own right, he also serves as bait for free agents or players who may have some say in where they are traded.

The truth is, this team doesn't have an identity anymore, and I can think of much worse ways to redefine it than to start with Steve Nash.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Who cares how old he is?

* He's quicker than most guards half his age.
    * He's still at the top of his game, playing as well now as he ever has.
    * He's tough as nails and is very rarely sidelined by injuries.
    * He could play another 2-3 years and let Lowry learn until he's ready to assume the reins.
    * Stockton played effectively until he was 41.

#32 topfive, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nash is 37 years old and we are rebuilding.

Any excitement he may bring for the next year or two will likely cost you an extra 2-3 in rebuilding.

Also he is a system PG. You need your team to be his system, which is not what we have.

Again, I dont think this is accurate, unless Morey offered a peanut package.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If we get Nash, I would trade Martin for a better 2-way SF. Start Lee and the new SF (bring Battier off the bench). Lee would fit wonderfully with Nash. And I'll ask Nash to hold shooting lessons for Ish, Lowry, and Williams.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

If we traded for Nash it is clear that management does not think we are in rebuild mode.

The trade doesn't make sense unless you can bring in a star to play with Nash.

16. Prince

Prince Member

I thought that 4q issue was tihng of the past.

if we pull this deal, DMorey is really not giving up this season for a ring.

17. Prince

Prince Member

Wow, you really are a basketball god for seeing this. repped.

18. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Brooks is on the trade block...

The Rockets are interested..

19. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

As much as it pains me to say... there's no reason to bring in Nash with T-mac gone and Yao done.

Who thinks a:

Nash
    Martin
    T-Will
    Scola
    Hill

starting lineup could go anywhere?

20. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Steve Nash can help Jordan Hill to become as good as Amare Stoudemire with much better D.