1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Stein: Rockets offering anyone in bottom third to free up spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 24, 2014.

1. clutz

clutz Member

Protracted break-ups are always better.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

My impression from a lengthy article that came out when Lowry re-signed with Toronto was that Lowry pretty much blamed himself for being immature and expressed regret. If McHale ever said anything like that I missed it.

3. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Besides, if that locker room stuff I heard about Josh Smith is true, he's better off in Houston than in Dallas.</p>&mdash; Dwain Price (@DwainPrice) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/547978316888961024">December 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mavs beat writer trying to have Mavs fans think of it as half full i guess lol

4. rogower

rogower Member

This is correct. I think somebody will bite, too. Although maybe he winds up accepting a projected very high (#31-#35 overall) second round pick for Canaan or Johnson.

However, don't forget about Goran Dragic. Look at what Phoenix did today with Detroit. They made a trade that frees up even more cap space. I think they now have $6.2 mil in cap space. What are they up to here? They are up to something.

Also, do not exclude the possibility of a Donatas Motiejunas-for-1st round pick trade here, maybe with Phoenix, even. Josh Smith has reportedly been handed Motiejunas' starting job. Motiejunas and his agent must be furious! Motiejunas' stock has risen dramatically, too, over the past month. A first round pick is easier to add to a trade package than a player who has an actual salary, too.

It should go without saying that Daryl Morey will not trade Terrence Jones right now, as he would be selling him for fifteen cents on the dollar.

It should also go without saying that Morey may later need the contracts of Jason Terry, Kostas Papanikolaou, Corey Brewer, and Alexey Shved for salary-matching/trade purposes, so none of these guys will simply be dumped, or waived. If the Knicks later offer Carmelo Anthony for picks and expiring contracts, or if Miami later offers Chris Bosh for the same, then Houston will need all four of these expiring contracts.

I expect either a) a trade for Goran Dragic in exchange for some combination of picks, prospects, and expiring contracts or b) a trade for a draft pick in exchange for either Motiejunas, Canaan, Capela, or Johnson to take place no later than Monday 12/29. Josh Smith can wait until then to sign, there is no hurry to get him on board.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would consider offering Joey Dorsey to Dallas for Dirk.

Mavs need front court help.

1 person likes this.
  6. fwood_rockets

fwood_rockets Member

What does that have to do with this thread?

7. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Johnson is behind him on the chart, but his injury is still lingering. There is zero reason to play him right now, we need the players healthy in April, not December.

As for Shved, he will be gone by Feb. Getting him play time only helps his value. IC3 knows how to play, reintegrating him into the offense will take very little time.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don't want any of you guys to ever complain about Feigan, or Wexler. This dude is the worst beat writer I've ever heard. I'd get more in depth analysis from a Kindergardener.

1 person likes this.
  9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

10. vince

vince Member

Mavs have a good team. I am not going to hate on them. but Cuban lost talent to get talent. also the mavs were winning before. now they need to mold to Rondo's style. it is a huge risk.

Morey lost nobody in the actual rotation. yet they have added 2 key pieces and a potential third in Alexi. All for Daniels, Garcia, and Black. if Morey finds a trade partner, he could keep Black and get a First round pick for a project at the end of the bench. But I bet Morey is looking for some 2 nd Round picks preferrably.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets should trade with Philly or New York.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lol Dallas writers r so jealous of the Rockets.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Can't Rockets just place TJ on IR and not cut any player?

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Rockets want to get the trade done because they're currently in the luxury tax, and it would save them a decent amount of money to trade away a player

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

10 men rotation is more than enough when the whole team will be healthy.

If I need to rate the value of these 5 guys.

1. Dorsey - clearly a calculated but missed gamble by Morey, with a two years contract, probably will cost a second round pick to move him alone.

2. Black - decent value because his contract making nothing, but again the talent level is limited, only team with desperate could give you a late second round pick for him alone.

3. Canaan - bad defender, unreliable offense, could be another bob Covington and shrine at bad teams, could worth a mid to late second round pick at most.

4. Capella - 2 years away from 2 years away to be ready. Extremely raw. So it will be a gamble, hardly will see anyone will offer a first round pick for him, maybe worth a late second round pick but buyers will be limited and hard to find.

5. Johnson - the highest valued guy in this group. Young, undersized, game has flaws - shooting seems a big issue but still has chance to grow into a very decent role player with a cheap contract. There won't be 30 guys in this draft better than him. Can get a high second round pick easily and could go as high as late first round.

Ideally, Canaan plus Dorsey for another end of the bench guy, an inside big will be perfect, would be the best trade. But I doubt anyone will want Dorsey.

Canaan plus black could work, or any of the above 4 not including Johnson just for a pick would be great also.

16. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I like Black and Dorsey for Sims. Sims would be a solid backup center

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

He is salty!

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If sims is a better player, why the hell will Henkie take black plus a garbage contract of Dorsey?

19. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Trading for Sims would not be a good idea. Dorsey and Black are both much superior rebounders. The Rockets needs at least one of Dorsey or Black to get the rebounds when Howard sits. We'll give up the rebounding battle when DMo plays the backup C without Dorsey or Black in the lineup.

20. wise_man

wise_man Member

Plz don't trade cannon , that guy was playing his best game when Beverly was out. He is a much better shooter from three point line than anyone on our team right now...... That would be a mega mistake by trading cannon.