1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stein: Rockets offering anyone in bottom third to free up spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 24, 2014.

1. fv court

fv court Member

I think Capella is the odd man out. This is a win-now team. Capella is at least 3 years away from contributing...if at all. Dorsey & Black aren't that good, but at least they contribute at a position of need. I'd take a 2nd round pick for Capella.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

just an idea:

ROCKETS TRADE - canaan, dorsey, 2015 wolves 2nd round pick (they have the right to give us the less favorable between their pick and the Nuggets' pick), and 2015, 2017 blazers 2nd round pick

CAVS TRADE - 2015 Grizzlies 1st round pick, shawn marion

Why for Rockets?
    getting a first for canaan would be fair. we already have 3 other pgs on the roster and can spare him. we spend the portland pick getting rid of dorsey, and another 2nd rounder (either Wolves' or Nuggets') on Marion who would add championship experience (see the difference it made when we added ariza, terry, and now brewer). plus morey seems to be collecting players who were on that mavs championship team.

Why for Cavs?
    the Grizz pick is protected from 1-5 and 15-30 until 2017 when its just protected from 1-5. so its likely not going to be conveyed until 2017, but they need talent now. Canaan would become the backup PG and probably the most productive player off their bench. Dorsey might actually serve a purpose for them since they lost their starting center to injury for the season. they could use an extra big body. the two second rounders is a good haul for Marion who is on his last legs.

Rockets roster:
    dwight-dmo-black
    smith-jones-capela
    ariza-marion-papa
    harden-brewer-johnson
    beverley-terry-shved

Cavs roster:

haywood-dorsey-verajao
    love-thompson-amundson
    lebron-jones-harris
    miller-waiters-dellavedova
    irving-canaan-price

Next steps for Rockets:
    you can see on the depth chart that Shved and Papa would be trade bait capable of matching salaries for a high priced player. add the NOP pick, the Grizzlies 1st rounder, and the 2 Knicks Second rounders and you have enough land a near all star like Dragic.

3. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I disagree. A lot of 2nd round picks don't pan out. Caanan has already proved he can be a streaky shooter in the NBA. Not to mention he has shown he can play next to Harden very well.

4. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Perhaps he knows some of internal secrets of rockets, defensive schmes and whatnots so they dont want their opponent to come into possesion of it....

5. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

less favorable= the pick will end up being the Nuggets

6. baubo

baubo Member

Why is it hilarious? Morey got a bunch of 2nd round picks by facilitating S&T of Courtney Lee and Marcus Camby, by taking on Jason Terry's contract. And these were premium 2nd rounders, those in the top-40ish of the draft. Why in the world would you give so much a damn about 2nd rounders anyway?

I wouldn't trade Canaan for a 2nd rounder in 2015 or 2016. If the Rockets use Terry's contract at the deadline for a non-PG, suddenly our PG depth would be Beverley(bit of injury history), Shved(probably traded too), and Nick Johnson. Is a 2nd rounder really worth that much?

I get it if you tell me no team would give a 1st rounder for Canaan. I can understand that. But I'm not trading him for a 2nd.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I saw Capella play in person last Sunday. Nothing about the guy screams elite anything except elite bust. He is far from an NBA talent at this point and the Rockets don't have time, nor roster space to groom and mold him. Better to get something for him now than let him bounce between the end of the bench and the D-League for several more years.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What y'all are saying about Capella is true. He's not ready. May never be ready. But Morey took him there for a reason and other teams were definitely interested in him during the draft.

He's as raw as they can possibly come but his skillset is rare. He has the potential to become a great, versatile defender who might be able to guard a Batum as easily as he could Aldridge. Or, he may wind up as the next Ndubi Ebi.

I wouldn't bail on him. Keep him in the incubator. See what happens.

9. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

@WojYahooNBA: The Rockets have waived Tarik Black to clear a roster spot for Josh Smith, league source tells Yahoo.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah. 6 Blocks an 16 rebounds per 36, nothing special about that.

He's clearly not an NBA player right now, but you can't simply give away somebody with his upside. Not saying don't trade him, but if we're not being offered something of significance you just dump Black.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well, didn't even get my post up before they dumped Black LOL

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>There are several teams interested in claiming Black, and unlikely Rockets will have to pay his salary, sources said.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/548514024137441280">December 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The others are on notice that the next time we need to cut anybody, it could be them. They better up their game whenever they get on the court.

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

As long as it is not the Mavs, I'm happy.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would be happy.

Black was not that great of a defender, and was obviously raw on offense.

16. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

What!? He didn't want to trade Capela, a lottery talent with a lot of upside, for a second round pick?

17. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I think Morey was working to reduce the cap hit? Salary gotta be secondary.

18. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Stein you an idiot.

Get off Cuban's payroll

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

\I think I heard that MAvs are pretty low on the waiver order, so I dont think Black makes it to them