1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Melo will consider Rockets, Bulls and Mavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah except Chicago won't have Gibson, Dunleavy, Boozer or Heinrich if they add Anthony.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is true. Doesn't he have Dallas ties?

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Those of you doubting Chicago, isn't Melo already confirmed to be willing to take a paycut? (how else would the Miami rumors be viable)

DPOY + 2nd team all defense + Former MVP + Top 5 coach + legit NBA market = attractive scenario

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty sure he was a Mavs beat writer at the Dallas Morning News for a few years.

5. Nook

Nook Member

No, Anthony has not confirmed he will not take a pay cut to play with the Bulls although the Chicago beat writer said he thinks the Bulls will offer less than max... Phil Jackson has said he will ask Anthony to take less...

So you tell me.... Houston for the max, Chicago for 4-5 million under the max of NY that has nothing going well there?

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Considering he lives there and worked for the paper as a Mavs beat writer, I'd say so. He's a Dallas honk first and foremost, and has a very good relationship with Mark Cuban. I'm willing to bet Cuban and his associates make up like half of his rolodex.

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You sure extrapolated a lot out of a benign statement by Harden. If Harden said the opposite, "we need a third star," he would catch crap that he's not supporting his teammates and is not a leader. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It seems like you have an agenda (defending poor, victimized little Jeremy Lin).

8. treeman

treeman Member

They are all still under contract, aren't they? They can't take pay cuts.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Neither Houston nor Chicago can offer the absolute max if they sign him outright as FA. And I'm pretty sure both will give him max if it's a S&T. So overall I see no financial advantage either way. I think Chicago stated they want him to take a little less because that would allow them to keep Taj Gibson. That's all.

In the end I have to think a S&T is most likely no matter where he ends up. the MLE is too big a lure not to work out some trade with the Knicks. I can see the Rockets offer Asik(likely to a 3rd team in a 3-way deal for another pick), Lin, 2 1st rounders unprotected, and Jones here.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

they can all opt out and probably sign for aobut 13 million each for the big 4.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

we can't offer the max, unless we ditch everyone but howard, harden, bev, parsons and pick up parsons' option. Both Chicago and us can dangle s&t assets, but that's all on phil's willingness, otherwise the offers will be in the $19m range.

12. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Houston is actually the better location financially due to the state taxes. None in Texas, I believe it's around 5% in Illinois if I remember correctly?

13. chandlerbang21

No only boozer will need to go, melo will have to take less than max to get on a contender

14. Play07

Play07 Member

Lmao !!! About the Lin comment

15. Nook

Nook Member

Rockets can make moves to give him full max and Chicago's economic situation is far more complicated... They have to amnesty Boozer, not use their draft picks, not bring over Mrotic and lose Gibson and Dunleavy AND deal with Butler's upcoming free agency and demands... Far harder for Chicago in a straight out signing. Also the reports in Chicago ( where I now live ) is the Bulls are not even sure they would offer him the max.

Ultimately I expect it to be a S&T anyway... but Chicago is sacrificing far more than Houston to get Melo.

16. jvu

jvu Member

Melo coming to the rockets would be a straight F u to Lin. Would be funny though and Lin would be back in ny? After all that trash talk.. Haha

17. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

I hope this was a bad attempt at a joke.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

One has a young core and the best Center and SG, another has old stars, and the other team's best player who hasn't played in 2 years

;)

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

No they can't. Cap is at $63mil.

Howard 21.4
    Harden 14.7
    Pasrons 1.7(if we withdraw our QO the moment before we re-sign him)
    Beverley 0.9
    Canaan 0.8
    Daniels 0.8
    5 empty roster spot. 2.7

That would give Melo a starting salary of $20mil, or 2.5 less than his theoretical max. Getting rid of Daniels and Canaan would only free up another $500K or so. Pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.

I think the Rockets would like to keep one of DMo or Jones though even if they get Melo. Melo doesn't want to be full time 4. And we have no backup big under this situation.

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Phil likes Bosh a lot.

That would be stupid for Miami.