1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stein: D-Will, Nets working on buyout to sign with Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fonzie_004, Jul 10, 2015.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

DWill bothers the hell out of me with his playing attitude. He is 10x better than the player he has shown himself to be in NJ which makes me feel like he literally mails it in and doesn't care anymore. You can't have that in a playoff locker room. Another reason why I am glad the Rockets didn't pursue Rondo.

I'll take Beverley's heart over them anyday.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't get what the Mavs are thinking. Williams is washed up, but he could still help them win more than 30 games which would put their draft pick in jeopardy. They don't seriously think they can compete for a playoff spot in the West after the Jordan fiasco, do they?

3. Asian Sensation

We were in the same spot when our best player was Kevin Martin and were constantly competing for the #14 pick.

Their DJ fiasco can be thought of like what happened to us with Yao.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The difference is that the Mavs believe the draft is the devil

5. hakeemthagreat

Why would he bypass us for the sorry azz Mavs? Especially knowing we need a pg like him. Is his agent Dan Vegan?

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

On another note, how perfect is this for Boston? Marginally improve the Mavs and hurt the Nets

7. MistaK

MistaK Member

You just fine with Dwill as your only option at PG. He isn't the player he used to be and he will most likely miss a good chunk of the season too.

If he can be had for the vet-min though - Morey should go all in!! He still has some game left, when healthy.

8. MistaK

MistaK Member

Can't edit..that was meant to read...''You can tank just fine with Dwill as your only option at PG''

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep, awesome news for Boston. They might get two good lottery picks if this happens.

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Dallas is trying to tank to get a top 7 pick, so DWill would be perfect for them.

11. csc177

csc177 Member

D Will doesn't care about basketball anymore (this story has come up numerous times over the years). He just shows up to the office for a check. We all know he can still play ( when healthy) but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

A healthy D Will at 31 is better than all the guards currently on our roster. But I thought Rondo was going to make Dallas a much better team last year also!

We need a knock down shooter and a backup point ( unless of course Nick Jounson developed a jump shot this offseason--which I highly doubt. )

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

I can see it working from both sides. The Mavs have a massive hole at PG, and Williams provides a solution.

For Williams, Dallas is one of the few remaining teams with the cap room to help him offset any sacrifices he makes in a buyout with the nets.

From a top level view....yeah, this doesn't make any sense. They might make the playoffs, but they are securing long term mediocrity by signing all these above average players. If you look at it through the prism of "win now" these deals make sense.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

You must be forgetting someone. :p

14. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I don't think the Mavs are thinking anything about him. If they are, they can't say or show any interest. Williams is not a free agent. He's under contract with the Nets. That would be tampering. No way they'd do that. Right?

15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Gawd, the Atlantic division is so bad. Toronto or Boston could take it with 40 wins.

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Cuban might not even want him because of their pick. Definitely will lose the pick if the team has DWill, Wes, Parsons and Dirk.

Then again, Mavs hate drafting and getting DWill keeps them mediocre, at best.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mavs setting up to lure Dwight Howard in free agency next year. DWill is his friend and so is Parsons and Dan Fegan

LOLOLOL

18. verysimplejason

If DWill wounds up healthy? Dallas is just a defensive PF/C away from competing again. It's a big IF but a very good one. I heard Mavs signed Pachulia, a underestimated big (I really hate his shot form but it works and he's a workhorse on the glass). Mavs still need a bench but this could mean having a season between lottery and playoffs.

19. Classic

Classic Member

Parsons: best PG in the league

20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He must be the only player who wants to sign with Dallas