1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steelers QB Roethlisberger Has Lawsuit Filed Against Him Alleging Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Bag0b0y, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't really buy this argument. There are a ton of players of his caliber who don't need bodyguards and 8 foot fences around their houses. I understand why some star players get bodyguards, but you usually find out that the one's that do usually put themselves in bad situations where they need them.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

She'd have no case, Ben's Lawyers would destroy her, it would be brutal. They would pretty much convince the jury that she was drunker than a skunk and got raped by God-knows-Who while Ben was simply sitting at the bar sipping Cosmos and regaling his body guards with tales of gridiron glory.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Well I would hang out with Tiger banging chicks is an awesome time.

Big Ben style of having a good time could land me in jail...I rather pass.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sorry for being a little late to the action here. Anyway, I fully expect this suspension to get reduced to four games due to cooperation and good behavior. His reputation is in the gutter right now and he knows it. He may make stupid decisions while intoxicated but overall he's a smart guy that knows how to play the media and kiss ass when he has to. If he shows anything other than his absolute best behavior during the immediate future I'd be shocked.

Next, trading him is insanely idiotic, IMO. So much to the point where I can't even stand being around some of my fellow Pittsburghers. The general vibe around these parts are: (1) He's an ******* (everybody knows that), (2) He's disgraced the organization (true but forgivable) and (3) It's time to move on (something I vehemently disagree with). It's by no means a consensus but according to local polls in the media and just a general vibe you from talking to people, most think trading him should be the next course of action.

That idea is incomprehensible to me. Why? Because he's that good, that's why. Punish him internally, fine him, whatever. Do whatever it takes to make it abundantly clear that this type of behavior will not be tolerated moving forward and force him to turn over a new leaf. You don't just go out and basically sabotage a championship caliber team ONE year removed from a Superbowl victory simply because you don't think you can control your best player. Not while the rest of the AFC continues to get better while your apparent offseason strategy nosedives the team into the ground unnecessarily. Sure, I know all about the credibility and pride that the Rooney's have. I just don't think trading the guy because he's an ******* warrants purposely making your team worse.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing you were probably against the Holmes trade?

8. baller4life315

I was but I got over that quickly. I just figured with Hines' age and with how little value a 5th rounder carries it was better to simply keep him for the year then let him walk for nothing as opposed to trading him right now. If nothing else, for the whole "contract year" element. Let him play his ass off, help us win some games then let somebody else give him his next nightclub/VIP cash to spend.

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

would you trade Ben for the 1st round pick (Sam Bradford)?
    Because the rams said they are not interested in that trade.

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I can't stand my fellow Steeler bretheren for not wanting to trade him just because of his on field production.

I'm not a Steeler fan because they win more games than the Browns, I'm a fan because they hold themselves to a higher standard than the rest of the league on and off the field. (That and I grew up watching them with my father... but, that doesn't help my arguement... so ignore that)

Do I expect him to be traded? No, I don't. As the quote that has been floating around recently says, The Rooneys are mad, but they aren't stupid. Do I want him to be traded? Absolutely yes. Sure, we'll take a few steps back on the field, but we won't be dropping back to the Ravens or Bengels off the field.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well, the idea was that we would get a run of 'Guys night out' jokes from our Clutchfans brethren.

12. baller4life315

This is the type of warped logic that has made me want to avoid the local crowd for the past couple days.

APRIL 12: Decision he won't face charges comes
    APRIL 22: Goodell announces the six-game suspension

These are emotional times and some of the stupidest decisions in life are made when being fueled by emotion. Certainly, this is no time to be making decisions that will impact the franchise years down the road.

13. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Do they really? I've seen nothing that makes me believe their standards deviate incredibly from the mean.

14. ubigred

Bold= stopped reading.

15. HombreDeHierro

trading him would be stupid...

I think people want to hold athletes to much too high of a moral standard...

even thought what he did (or maybe didn't) do was wrong, I don't think it warrants a trade.

16. Buck Turgidson

Some people have a seriously difficult time cheering for scumbags. Some people do not. Which mindset is warped, now?

17. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I keep reading her name as Mcnutty...

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'll agree to some extent that athletes are held to too high of a moral standard. Traffic violations or run ins with unruly fans (ie. Barkley) are one thing, however repeated allegations of sexual assault are a whole different ball game.

That said, I have been a Steelers fan all of my life and I am open to trading the guy. Sometimes businesses have to take a stand against employees that cause harm to the businesses image and culture.

19. ubigred

I woke up this morning and IM still disgusted that he ran out bills at restaurants. MULTIPLE TIMES. He is millionaire ten times over and he pulls **** like that?

Man I really feel sorry for those waiters.

20. baller4life315

Pretty sure it's team and city over individual players. To each his own though, I get that.

Are you trying to make a point? If so, try harder.