1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steelers; Best Organization in Sports?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pgabriel, Jan 24, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Maybe Lakers or Yankees. But in the NFL its so much harder with the salary cap, and in basketball, it depends so much on just getting a superstar. In Football you have to really truly build teams. They keep good linebackers, throughout their history. They value, well value. They have guys on that team with over ten years of tenure. That's unheard of the NFL nowadays
    Oh yeah and a little love for the owner trying to get more minorities into head coaching.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In before the FAKE-triot fans

Rocket River

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It starts and ends with the draft. This is how the Steelers build their teams and acquire players. There's no Pau Gasol monstrosities, ring whoring or anything of the sort that you see in other sports. They simply draft well, develop talent, make sound decisions on who to keep/let to...and, oh yeah, they win.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It's true, they've had an impressive scouting department and have found talent in the draft, almost old school mentality to getting talent.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

do they do moneyball?

6. GRENDEL

Have no idea to be honest, don't follow them closely enough to say so but I know they have a lot of talent that they picked up from the draft.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was kidding, sorry

8. GRENDEL

Missed that, my bad :eek:

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

McNair thinks that the Texans are on the same track as the Steelers.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

How can the Steelers be the best when they don't even run a Denver offense?? That's silly.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This. Simple as that.

Don't know why this Indiana boy started liking them when I was 9 years-old, the year before they drafted Franco Harris and were no good. But it's been fun the last 40 years.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

3 coaches in the last 40 years.

That pretty much says it all right there. Scary thing is that Tomlin has a better winning percentage than Noll and Cower - regular season and playoffs.

The sun rises in the east, sets in the west and the Steelers just keep on winning.

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah, he was given a good setup though. I mean it's not like he took over the 2010 Panthers. :grin:

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

True, but lots of coaches have been given good setups throughout the years and not many of them have gone on to win 2 championships in 4 years.

Besides Barry Switzer in dallas, football coaches don't accidentally win championships. It may happen occasionally in basketball or baseball, but rarely if ever in football. I don't think Tomlin gets nearly enough credit.

DAMN, I wish the Texans had a guy like that...

15. Lil Pun

This is exactly right. They are not afraid to stick with what they have and they are not afraid to let star players go to other teams and rebuild through the draft and the draft only. I mean, I cannot remember the last time the Steelers made a blockbuster trade or signing where they were RECEIVING the super star. Then they have only had 3 coaches over four decades, as somebody mentioned before, and only 8 losing seasons since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, it all just speaks to the stability of the franchise.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike Tomlin: "I don't care who's players I've won with."

So what are you tellin' me? Kubiak will be around another 10 years? :p

After all, Bob wishes to run his team like the Steelers and Patriots

17. Lil Pun

Do I think he had it easier than most new coaches in the NFL, sure but I give him tons of credit for keeping it together through the changes, scandals, etc. and keeping that team competitive throughout his tenure.

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

He hand picked Lamar Woodley and Lawrence Timmons.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Want an example of how the Steelers work?

After growing tired of all the headaches Santonio Holmes was causing they traded him to the Jets for a 5th round pick which was traded to the Cards to get back Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick used on Antonio Brown who made the game-clinching catch to send the Steelers to the Super Bowl and the Jets/Santonio home.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yes they are and it starts with ownership.