1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Statistical Comparisions for Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 29, 2011.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He was our scorer, NOT our playmaker. Don't get the two confused. A playmaker is someone who is able to make plays for the team. AB is a one dimensional player because he ONLY has a single way to start making a play. It is not a matter of whether or not he is good enough, but rather what he can do to start with. His playmaking starts and ends with his ability to shoot the ball. When his shot is falling, it forces the perimeter D or opposing guard to stay honest, thus creating spacing for other players and forcing his opponent to stay close. Here, he can either launch a contested shot (he does this quite often) or try to shake and bake them with his superior speed. It is important to note, this is only applicable when defenders stay close to him to close in on his shot. If he successfully loses his defender, this opens up a few more opportunities for him:

- Stop and pop, really something I would like to see him get much more consistent at.
    - Forces the interior D to collapse on him and kick it out or towards an open player. He does this more than stop and pops, but it is typically to bail himself out, meaning he did not penetrate with the intention of looking for the dish like Lowry.
    - Finish strong at the rim. Here is where AB fails rather pathetically. For as fast as he is, I would like to see him adjust better to taking hits while trying to drive in. Because he is such a weak finisher, he typically doesn't go for this option very often.

So let's evaluate what happens when his shot does NOT fall:

- Defense has no need to stay close until he starts warming up
    - Defense relaxes off a bit to prevent entry pass to Yao if he is playing or to whoever is posting up as well as to close off any penetration attempt by AB.
    - AB is left at the perimeter with no shot and his poor court vision

A lot of times, when AB finds himself in these situations, he also often shows his immaturity by losing his cool. This has happened before and while not a lot, with enough regularity that some have been nervous.

Look, you can call him a playmaker all you want. It will definitely not make it true. He is a one trick pony who, when his trick is working, can create moderate amounts of plays and score a solid amount of points. When his one trick is not working however, it is truly a horrifying sight to behold.

1 person likes this.
  2. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I sure wish people would stop:

19.6/2.6/5.3 .432/.398/.822 > 13.5/4.1/6.7 .426/.376/.765

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sigh. Yet another person who is missing the point of this discussion entirely.

4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I know exactly how you feel. So many idiots just look at the box score stat line and go "Herp derp! He scores more points! He must be better!" So many people fail to comprehend that basketball is a team sport and the PG role involves more than just putting the ball in the hoop.

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Don’t worry about it; it’s not that you’re not explaining yourself well. When a guy makes blanket statements about Morey being a worthless GM or thinks a found iphone is rightfully his to sell, you’re probably not going to have much luck getting things through his pea brain. I’m sure a lot of posters like myself appreciate this thread and the light you’re shedding on taking a deeper look at Lowry's stats.

6. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

and reported, don't make it too easy on me son.

7. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

What an epic fail of a comment, next time at least don't waste that much time if you're going to fail at making any sort of point. Brooks attributed more to putting points on the scoreboard than Lowry did, he also did it shooting a better percentage from the floor, the 3pt and from the free throw line. Lowry's 1.5 more assists I'm sorry to say don't make up for that. But you kids keep right on thinking that because he wears a Rockets jersey he must be 10 times better than he really is.

8. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

lmao, stats show Lowry is on par with the HOFer and all time great Mookie Blaylock. hahaha, I don't think you want to keep looking at anything more than raw numbers if that's what you're going to get. But I guess that speaks volumes about how bad this franchise is at the moment when people like you kids think that's something to brag about.

9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Another poster not worth talking to. CF is finally becoming less stupid for me thanks to the ignore function. :D

10. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I'm sorry you think basketball knowledge is something to be afraid of. Meanwhile you can keep sucking on Morey while he gives us .500 records and early playoff losses. :cool:

11. Carl Herrera

Basketball knowledge = PTS/REB/AST/FG%/3PT%/FT%?

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Don't bother responding to trolls. They are just looking to provoke a response out of us. I just ignored him. Certainly will not sleep less at night for it.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Scoring

19.2 points on 16.2 shot attempts per game= 1.185 points/shot

13.5 points on 10.8 shot attempts per game= 1.25 points/shot

1.25 > 1.185

Rebounding

We all seem to be educated enough to understand that 4.1 is in fact a larger number than 2.6, but the other and myself who share my pov aren't here to argue that those numbers are the reason Lowry is the superior rebounder.

Brooks grabbed 4.2% of the available rebounds for 2.6 a game.

Lowry grabbed 6.8% of the available rebounds for 4.1 a game.

6.8% > 4.2%

On to assists, again while we can all agree that 6.7 is a larger number than 5.3, these numbers are not the reason we come to the conclusion that Lowry is far superior to AB in creating. It is pretty obvious that ast% and ast/to ratio mean very little to you, but they are in fact the more relevant stats. True is it may be that a difference in 1.4 assists in itself isn't that much in one game, but over an entire season adds up to a fairly large number of plays.

Brooks assisted on 20.4% of his possessions for a total of 5.3/game
    For every 1 turnover Brooks had 1.87 assists

Lowry assisted on 30.7% of his possessions for a total of 6.7/game
    For every 1 turnover Lowry had 3.16 assists

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

sorry forgot and left it off, just incase you didn't follow

31.7% > 20.4%

15. Carl Herrera

I'm sure the forum moderators will ban the poster soon now that you've made a report.

16. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I wouldn't totally ignore everything you just typed there if you were talking about the same season. But since you're not, and the math on the very first comparison is wrong, I don't know to tell you.

17. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

and since 'pg's role is to distribute the ball', I don't see how comparing a bigger player getting more rebounds to a smaller player getting less proves anything.

18. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I don't want to repeat posts that have already been made. But as far as this thread, I agree completely with t_mac on this one.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I understand that we are comparing 2 different season and the team wasn't entirely the same throughout that time, but it is as fair of a comparison of each players 1st year as the primary starting point guard as you are going to get. By just about every account Lowry's season as a starter was more productive than Brooks'. Maybe not by your numbers, but by some of the crazy ones some of us like to look at.

Let me also add that it was not my intention in the previous post to make it seem as if the numbers I showed were the only ones anyone should go by, just more accurate than than standard.

20. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Oh I don't deny the numbers you posted shows a lot more than the average box score, your numbers were right on. My own personal opinion would be that Brooks in 09/10 was more valuable to this team than Lowry was this last year. I know most people here would say that's entirely not the case, but I'll go by the games I've seen and how I think Brooks helped us more.