1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Statistical Analysis of Kobe, before and after Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bugerking3, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There was a time on this board when people weren't nuthugging one player over the other and creating the same knee-jerk reactionary threads after every flippin' game. And the statement you're making is nothing new - people said the same thing when Francis was here. The problem is most of the people that wanted to argue stats (there's nothing wrong with that... at least it's basketball) or argue basketball plays are either lurking or have drifted off leaving threads to "the daily nuthugging of the day" posters.

Also, just because people argue against a player's perceived deficiencies doesn't mean they're against the player or are some type of fan - they just disagree. Accept it, deny it, defend it, attack it, but don't just make blanket statements. I'd argue your TMac/Yao point, but I've gotten to the point that I'd rather deny your point quietly rather than turn this into another TMac thread. I'm going to vomit if I see the same point being made every 3 posts anymore. Come up with something new.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If I gave u a coaches tape and asked you to explain play by play, you probably wouldn't know where to start.

I don't apologize for anyone. I'm a long time rockets fan and I root for the front not the back. After that, I'm a nba fan and I try to be a student of the game. You said battier takes pressure off tracy from guarding wings, but tracy is a better player when he's challenged. Look no further than vs the mavs in the playoffs. He shut dirk down and when stackhouse needed to get shut down, he slid over and did him too. Just like peirce accepted the kobe challenge and the lebron challenge, some guys need the challenge. What pierce also knew is he had Allen and Kg as proven, capable scorers. So even if his offense would suffer because of the challenge, he had 2 other scorer's. Tracy had Yao 2 yrs ago, but who on the rox are on the lvel of ray allen? This yrs team has more scorers and if he was healthy, I could see him returning to being a good defensive player. So you see it one way and I see it the other.

3. Electro

Electro Member

We are talking BEyond.

I dont know or remember how good Kobe was against the Rockets before Battier(#31) when it came to him having a good game or not.

I'm just Glad we got Battier right now for D-Help on number #24

31-24, that's like a TouchDown (TD).

Oops, A.D.D. is kicking in.gottagoPeaaacceee

4. sky1

sky1 Member

done well, you guys have so much time to analize the data. it's a meticulous job. Shane plays a important role which couldn't weight by the superficial data. He is a underrated player.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hmm i wonder if there was a way to see kobe's stats only when battier was primarily guarding him.

i remember one game back at staples where kobe went scored a lot of points, not at a high efficiency but he scored like 8-10 in a row when battier went out and kirk snyder started to guard him. when battier came back in he went "cold"

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lakers are at their worst when Kobe takes a lot of shots. He's no stranger in dropping 50 and losing. With that said, I don't think you can really stop him. Contain him, yes. The big key is to not let any of his teammates go off. Kobe will get his regardless, we have to shut down his teammates.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And that's another reason why people will say Shane played great D even when Kobe scores a lot. Sometimes he does a good job of funneling him to spots where he's more likely to shoot than pass. More shots=less teammates getting involved.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

RV6, shane said he wanted a jumbo jack with cheese, curly fries, and a root beer. He also said to park the minivan on the right side next to the Lexus.