1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Statistical Analysis about the ARIZA, PARSONS contracts and working out their value around the leagu

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

"Conclusion

Thiers no real easy right or wrong answer here as my numbers are just that, they don’t factor in a variety of things as mentioned earlier such as age, position of the team etc… however all my indicators point to the fact Parsons got a slight overpay, far more than what seemed like an appropriate amount to match which morey ended up doing exactly declining to match,

Arizas contract while the length being 4 years bothers me, the amount of salary per year, if he can continue his previous form should make all Rockets fans excited in the fact we just upgraded the most stacked superstar position in the NBA with an elite defender who is a touch better than Chandler on the offensive end."

So now you guys are saying that Trevor is the better offensive player than Parsons as well... Lol. Trevor's offense last season was just an extension on John Wall. But I guess that doesn't factor in to your analytics.

And what super star small forwards has Trevor's defense actually shut down...??? What super star small forwards did he actually kept from scoring..?

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Shooting the basketball
    Efg%
    Ariza .562
    Cp25 .538
    True Shooting
    Ariza .590
    CP25 .565

Ast%
    Ariza 10.8
    CP25 17.3

Rebounding

ORB%
    Ariza 4.1%
    CP25 2.9%
    DRB%
    Ariza 16.3%
    CP25 12.8%
    TRB%
    Ariza 10.1%
    Parsons 8.2%

Defence
    StL%
    Ariza 2.4%
    CP25 1.6%
    BLK%
    Ariza .6%
    CP25 .8%

Defensive Rating

Ariza 104
    Parsons 108

Win Shares total
    Ariza 8
    CP25 7.6

Win Shares per 48
    Ariza .141
    CP25 .131

Corner 3
    Ariza .446
    CP25 .427

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/arizatr01.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parsoch01.html

do you still want individual games on defence?

#22 Voice of Aus, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Then the only logical next step for you: don't post. Seriously, what a rude waste of bandwidth, and people wonder why the GARM sucks. When you get a thoughtful and detailed initial post, reward it. In your case, that would mean shut up.

OP, thanks much for your legwork and analysis. I found a number of surprises in the data, and I suppose it all goes back to the effect of injuries.

Gallinari appeared to have much higher production, statistically, than I would have expected, and Iggy had a much lower statistical value than I would have predicted. I suppose his PER suffered a great deal being surrounded by the trio of shooters in Golden State (splash bros + Lee).

Is that accurate?

I'm also surprised that Ariza grades so much higher than CP25 offensively. I suppose that's just the effect of shooting percentage. But perhaps his passing is also a bit underappreciated by the BBS.

4 people like this.
  4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah I'd love Marion here. And his contract would actually be a trade chip if it wasnt too long and he doesnt completely falloff a la Gerald Wallace. He doesnt endanger our flexibility (for Morey) AND he helps us win. Why NOT sign Marion?

5. dznutz

dznutz Member

lets just hope ariza is not a contract year player. his stats appear so

6. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Thanks man, good info

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love to get a Shawn Marion with a chip on his shoulder, especially against Dallas. Shawn can take it out on either Dirk or Chandler. Rockets still do not have their stretch 4 or a quality backup for 3 spot. Marion would be perfect fit, offensively AND defensively.

No other stretch 4 options can provide the D that Marion can bring. Despise Fegan, but Marion would be worth dealing with him again.

8. Voice of Aus

Gall's stats come from the season which saw the nuggets finish in the 3rd seed in a stacked western conference led by lawson and Gal. Gal is sneaky effienct player who boasts solid shooting and rebounding numbers along with a godly 116 offensive rating. he is also a low TO player who over the coarse of his career has played to a similar PER of around 15-16 which is well above average for the salary he makes.

i would take gal over any of the SF's in the FA market this year not names LBJ or melo

THIS. its what im scared of since last season he played the most regular season games since he played for the lakers in his last contract year. if it makes you feel any better atleast in 3 years time we will get this ariza again ;)

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Ariza will be 32 at the end of his contract. Normally you would expect any steep decline to take place after 32.

I'd be surprised if Parsons opts out to sign a smaller contract. He'll only be 28 when this one ends, and the longer he waits, the bigger potential contract he can get.

10. Voice of Aus

FWIW heres all Fegans players according to realGM
    http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Dan-Fegan/10

[​IMG]

11. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Appreciate the numbers. Common stats tells us we got a heck of a deal between the two guys, but seeing contract value is a nice indicator to back it up.

I'm also interested in seeing where Marion ends up.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Thanks OP. Always nice to get some facts from posts. Appreciate the effort.

13. Voice of Aus

just a shooting chart, ill chuck it in the original post

Regular Season

[​IMG]
    Post Season

[​IMG]

#33 Voice of Aus, Jul 20, 2014
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You hate numbers that go against perception

15. Remii

Remii Member

It doesn't matter. Washington is a good defensive team even without Trevor. They were ranked higher on defense the year before when Trevor wasn't starting. Basketball is a game of moving parts and individuals on the same team can effect each other's stats... To go along with coaching and style of play (Washington runs a slower pace offense _ that helps on the defensive end). All you're doing is isolating one individual's statistics from the rest of his teammates, the style that they play, and ignoring all other factors and drawing an incomplete conclusion.

Trevor is the better defensive player but his addition doesn't necessarily make us a dominant defense with the style that we play. Just like adding Howard didn't make us a dominant defense. And Trevor does not shut down super star small forwards.

Trevor isn't a better offensive player than Parsons. It's not even close. You ignore the John Wall factor with Trevor. That's a true floor general point guard. You guys act like it's just a coincidence that Trevor just started playing well when he got to Washington and John Wall and the rest of the Wizards have nothing to do with it.

The game isn't played.

With Houston Trevor doesn't have to be as good as Parsons. Harden, Howard, and most importantly McHale just have to do better. Simple.

16. Remii

Remii Member

People's perceptions are sometimes different sir. You have your basketball eye and I have mine. It's nothing to do with "Hate" just because I don't agree with you :)

17. Voice of Aus

Kevin Durant
    Sat 2/1 @ WSH L 81-96 8-21 .381
    Sun 11/10 vsWSH W 106-105 12-23 .522

Melo
    Thu 10/17 @ WSH W 98-89 8-17 .471 22pts
    Sat 11/23 @ WSH L 89-98 9-19 .474 23pts
    Mon 12/16 vsWSH L 101-102 12-20 .600 32pts
    Fri 4/4 vsWSH L 89-90 5-14 .357 10 pts (melo played 38 mins still)

LBJ
    Wed 1/15 @ WSH L 97-114 8-18 .444 25 pts
    Mon 3/10 vsWSH W 99-90 10-15 .667 23 pts

PG
    Fri 11/29 vsWSH W 93-73 10-19 .526 23 pts
    Fri 1/10 vsWSH W 93-66 2-14 .143 8 pts (38 mins)
    Fri 3/28 @ WSH L 78-91 6-22 .273 19pts

Playoffs against PG
    6.0-15.2 .396 19.7 pts

interesting wizards won
    5/9 against those superstar player teams

ariza also kept those supertsars to under .500 shooting in
    7/11
    and also 5/6 if you include playoffs

not bad

#37 Voice of Aus, Jul 20, 2014
  18. Remii

Remii Member

Edit...

19. Chamillionaire

Marion and J.O'neal.

Canaan / ish
    Daniels
    Marion
    DMo
    O'neal / Dorsey

20. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Forgot all about Fesenko. Love that guy!