1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

States' Rights - County Prosecutor Dismisses All Misdemeanor mar1juana Cases

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rtsy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. rtsy

rtsy Member

Absolutely historic. Hopefully Obama will leave them alone.

Satterberg dismisses all misdemeanor mar1juana cases

BY LEVI PULKKINEN, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF
    Updated 3:51 p.m., Friday, November 9, 2012

King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg has dismissed all misdemeanor mar1juana possession cases currently pending in Washington’s largest county.

Taking action following Tuesday’s landmark vote on mar1juana legalization, Satterberg said there would be “no point” in continuing to prosecute the 175 people currently facing misdemeanor charges of mar1juana possession.

Friday’s announcement followed the passage of Initiative 502, which legalized mar1juana possession of one ounce or less in Washington State. The law also called for a legal framework under which mar1juana could be grown and sold; both those activities remain illegal outside the medical mar1juana industry.

The initiative goes into effect Dec. 6, but Satterberg said he saw no reason to wait to drop the charges.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/arti...sdemeanor-mar1juana-4024296.php#ixzz2Bq2D9PIt

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

now let out all the non violent mar1juana offenders in jail/prison and lets save even more money.

better yet, legalize it everywhere and tax the **** out of it like alcohol.

3. rtsy

rtsy Member

Legalize, don't tax. Let people be free.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

F that!

I got a pretty good green thumb!

:grin:

Seriously though, would love to see the GOP get out in front of this and make it happen.

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The Republicans can't do that. If they do, many liberals would agree with a Republican. The world would end and hell would freeze over.

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

i can agree to this. see how compromise works?!

7. Grape_Swisha281

I FOR ONE AM NOT A SMOKER (i did in highschool) but if taxing the weed helps it become legal than why wouldnt smokers be ok with that. 8% tax beats legal fees and sitting in jail..

8. Raven

Raven Member

It's great to see the voters of Washington State kick fascism in the nuts.

;)

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Looking Good in Colorado

I'm sure when the administration doesn't interfere, rtsy will post an apology.

10. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Great news!

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

This is a win for the tea party. We need to expand it nationally.

12. Refman

Meanwhile, the US Attorney for the Western District of Washington in Seattle has indicated that they intend to enforce the federal prohibition on mar1juana.

So I started thinking about what this might look like. John Doe registers an LLC for his legalized mar1juana store. He applies for and obtains a state license to operate the mar1juana store. The Feds come in and arrest Doe. Since he is operating the LLC for the purpose of selling mar1juana (a federal crime), they charge him under RICO and use the Secretary of State for Washington to lay the predicate.

Government of the people, for the people and by the people my ass.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

My perspective is that best case under current state law is that use by adults is effectively decriminalized, but manufacture and sale (the activities that will draw federal attention) will remain effectively illegal. Too bad, I believe it is long past time for the CSA to be repealed so that the states can come up with the laws that make sense for them. It should be a LOT easier than the alcohol fight, they had a constitutional amendment to repeal.

14. Refman

The Washington law expressly provides for licensing for growing and selling. If you don't have a marketplace, there are no revenues for the state.

15. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I guess they want to get tax revenue from the sale of mar1juana. However if they are decriminalizing for individual use why wouldn't everyone who wants to smoke just grow their own.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . . I am more excited about hemp products
    Legalizing it will be a boom for the paper industry [the OTHER PAPER ;)]
    Will save some Forest too .. . .

Rocket River

17. GladiatoRowdy

Yes, but the only activities that the feds will go after are growing and selling. Basically, even with a state license, manufacture and sale is effectively illegal because of federal law.

Don't believe me, just look at medical mar1juana states over the last decade or so. I suppose a lame duck Obama might be friendlier towards drug policy reformation, but I won't believe it until I see it.

18. Refman

This may be, but without a legal growing and selling component, the law is really just window dressing.

The Washington officials predicted that growing and selling licenses would be available this summer. They are figuring out the licensing procedure and oversight.

It will be a sad day when the Feds charge the first applicant with RICO.

19. GladiatoRowdy

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I am hopeful that the new law in these two states becomes a tipping point for drug policy reform across the country. However, I am tempering my hope with the reality of the fact that I was also hopeful of the same thing when medical mar1juana laws started to spread (in over 25% of all the states now), only to be disappointed when Bush and Obama kept raiding providers in those states.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You left one part out. Finding a jury that will convict in a state that just voted to legalize.

It's a total waste of gov time and resources. I think they'll start to back off.