1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Staten Island man dies after NYPD cop puts him in chokehold

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am amazed by folx like them . . . .

Also . . .rewatching the video . . .
    It is interesting what passes for 'Justifying Killing a person" resistence these days
    At *NO POINT* was any of those cowards 'in danger'

Cowardly Cops Kill

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Is it your assertion that the cops acted with an intent to kill?

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Really? Simply because they dont see things the way you do? and people wonder why political views have gotten so extreme in this country. Give me a break. Would you say this to someones face? No of course not.

There are two kinds of people i cant stand in this world. Those who anonymously spout off calling internet strangers names. And idiots like you.

Learn to breathe a little.

4. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

you're the idiot. What you just typed makes zero sense

aside from the fact that what you said is contrary to what you preach. If I were you I wouldn't be able to stand me either.

edit: if you want to meet for a Rockets game, I'd be more than happy to speak to your face :p

#84 Louka, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

It was a joke from austin powers. Just trying to loghten the mood amidst my critique :)

6. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I'm sorry? I want you to know I am going to lose soo much sleep over this post:rolleyes:

7. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

At what point was there an intent to kill?

I already explained this. If you want to use that childish logic, then go ahead.

EDIT: Let me just say I believe you guys underestimate the lifestyles that these "cowards" and "pigs" endure. People are constantly blinded by the mindset that police officers are power hungry individuals that feel they are above the law. I am not saying that this does not happen, but is not always the case. I would even go as far to say that most of the time it is not the case. Because of past history, every time there is an investigation, the general public almost ALWAYS sides with the suspect or automatically assumes the officers are abusing their power, feel they are above the law, or whatever they feel the case may be. Basically, there is alot of BIAS.

Most of the officers have seen a lot of stuff on a daily basis that we do not. Every time they go on duty they put their lives on the line. Every single day. Making a simple traffic stop, fundamentally, is nerve wrecking, because they don't know if the person is going to lose their minds or harm them. Most of these officers handle stressful situations and have to act in a calm manner to resolve them. After some time, all of these sights (dead bodies, domestic disputes, just violence in general) will take a toll on the mind, and naturally officers may seem brash in their words and actions. To say they are power hungry or just assholes in general is unfair IMO. Does this give them the right to commit crimes and get away with them? Absolutely not. Offending officers should be reprimanded, and if necessary, prosecuted as normal civilians are subject to. I am just saying that there will always be a BIAS towards officers no matter what the case.

I would say society is slightly ungrateful for what our peace officers do for us.

#87 roxxfan, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Oh. Alrighty. Sorry if I misunderstood

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You can watch the video here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Clearly was not a choke hold. As for her being pregnant, again, I believe that medical conditions does not make you immune from forceful arrests.

She was arrested for grilling illegally in public. Sounds kind of silly, but it's a law that should be followed. You cannot grill wherever you like as it can be a safety hazard.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Why use force and not a fine for something silly like that? Also, was the baby committing a crime as well?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

She didn't get arrested on the grilling charge. The cops told her husband to stop grilling and he walked away without giving his ID. She, and her brother, stepped it and got charged, because they stepped in the way. Her charge was resisting arrest.

And about grilling:
    pahlease. Grilling in Colorado when the Fire Bans are announced, is one thing...but this guy was grilling in a tenant building complex on one of the sidewalks. Who cares?

12. Duncan McDonuts

They could have received a warning or fine previously. Regardless, she is not immune to the law. She put herself into harm's way, and with that, she put her baby in harm's way. Why did she fight over her illegal right to grill so much? It ain't worth that.

The article states the Lt was at the building regarding a nearby domestic abuse when he saw her grilling and intervened. He was within the law to tell them to stop grilling. It's a local law that may be more heavily enforced in that area because of previous incidents. You have your right as a citizen to repeal that law in the public forum.

13. heypartner

Not that it matters: just a slight correction. The article states her husband was grilling, not her. He walked away refusing to give up his ID. She and her brother then got involved. So, it sounds like to me, she was charged strictly because she argued with the cop. Usually cops won't arrest someone just for arguing. I could see him telling her to get out of his way, so he could go after the husband for walking away. If she prevented him from continue to talk to the husband, then she can be arrested for that.

But this isn't a grilling issue; that was why they showed up, but her husband was grilling not her.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Ah, ok. The two articles I read made it sound like she was the one grilling. I read another article that said cops spotted the husband grilling and told him to move it to the backyard. They came back later, he was still grilling, so they asked for his ID. That's when the family started becoming resistant.

Apparently, she started slapping at the officers, too. Not exactly a smart move. It looks more and more like the family was given a chance to make things right, but they continued to worsen the situation themselves. I'm finding it harder to have more sympathy for them as the facts come out.

15. heypartner

^ yeah, I think the confusion about who was grilling was because the council member said quotes saying she was grilling.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you don't have to provide ID except in the case that you are in violation of the law, is the way I understand it.

sounds like they would have issued him a basic citation.

whether the laws are antiquate or not doesn't give members of society a chance to decide that for themselves.

cops should not be above the law, either.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Grand jury in Eric Garner case expected this week, commissioner says via <a href="https://twitter.com/ABC7NY">@ABC7NY</a> <a href="http://t.co/Hk336PbKbt">http://t.co/Hk336PbKbt</a></p>&mdash; Rob Nelson (@RobNelsonABC7) <a href="https://twitter.com/RobNelsonABC7/status/539887968648187904">December 2, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>