1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Staten Island man dies after NYPD cop puts him in chokehold

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 18, 2014.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Just another example of a power hubgry pig

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

3. Raven

Raven Member

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

That ****ing fame w**** skin fold Al is there. Not surprised. Surprised he lost his badge. I mean when those three NYC's raped that women they still got reinstated I believe.

5. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/20/justi...ex.html?sr=fb072014chokeholddeath12pstorylink

Some other things i found off the CNN website.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the part about him breaking up a fight is irrelevant. the police approached him for allegedly violating the law.

and it appear they violated procedures in the process, leading to a dead man.

we don't know what actions led to their approach of the dead citizen.

7. Precision340

Precision340 Member

thinking the same thing! how tragic... why is ny wasting tax payers' money to crack down on illegal reselling of cigarettes?! ny, ny :eek:

8. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

surprised they didn't give him a paid vacation like they normally do.

now send the pig to prison like any normal civilian would get.

9. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Some of you people are delusional. The officer does not deserve jail time at all. He does deserve to lose his badge and possibly his job, but jail time? Get real. This was not a crime and not murder. That was a BIG dude. He would have avoided everything altogether if he DID NOT resist. He put himself in that situation. The officer should be reprimanded because choke holds like that are not authorized by the NYPD. Unfortunately, this is a case of someone dying while being arrested due to a medical condition.

Obviously the man did not deserve to die, but he simply put himself in that position by resisting arrest. The force continuum was then put into place, and because of his size, the officer wanted him down as quickly as possible. The officer was wrong in his method of detaining him, but the man wrong for resisting in the first place. However, there was no crime here. RIP.

1 person likes this.
  10. roxxfan

It is not a paid vacation. You are innocent until proven guilty and they are placed on a leave while the investigation is conducted. If they strip the officer of pay it would unconstitutional. But a lot of people don't see this. This was not a crime.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I tend to agree with this assessment, although I recognize that we need more facts to truly be certain.

There's a lot of people out there who could avoid problems if they simply cooperated with police instead of resisting...

12. roxxfan

/thread

There is no possible benefit to resisting arrest and only leads to the possiblity of problems, so what is the point? This is especially true if the suspect honestly feels that he or she is innocent.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the illegal nicotine black market spreads across the entire East Coast and puts money into the hands of mobsters as well as terrorists

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not so fast. I agree a person that resists arrest places himself in unnecessary danger. There is no doubt about it. But that does not automatically give police officers the green light to abuse their powers. It's WAY too early to say the officer shouldn't be criminally charged and face jail time.

The investigation has to play out.

15. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

This cop should be charged with manslaughter. The police are absolutely out of control in this country and it is sickening and embarrassing for the nation. This man was a father of six children and did not deserve to die just because he was an *******. I don't understand how people give these guys a pass to be judge, jury and executioner just because they were given a little badge and hired as a cop. Imagine if this guy was your brother or your cousin ... you would change your tune in a second. People need more empathy in this country. **** the police.

16. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Their "investigation" will find the perp had a preexisting heart condition and none of it is the fault of the crooked blue line.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Knowing that choke holds violate NYPD policy does change my stance a little. The cop definitely deserves to lose his badge.

Still torn on whether or not he deserves jail time. Fatty should have complied when he knows he's being placed under arrest. Nothing good can happen from resisting a police officer's demands. He kind of put himself in that position, and having medical conditions does not make you immune from the law.

If he had a heart attack from being wrestled to the ground or being tasered, I definitely believe that there shouldn't be criminal charges. But since the choke hold is against policy and that caused his asthmatic attack, I can see him deserving some manslaughter charges. Not sure if it'll happen or if it'll stick, that depends on the police and jury, respectively.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

A man died in the care of a professional. If you watch the video, the cop continued to choke the man even when he told him that he couldn't breathe. That's at least negligent and tips the scale towards criminal.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Citizens pay the victims family $5 million and officer gets paid vacation.

That's how these things work in this country.

20. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

You make me sick. You should be ashamed of yourselves.