1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting to see some progress with Mr.Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Dec 22, 2012.

1. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Well, they sure did want to bench Lin the whole time, even after the San Antonia break out game (Toronto), so I have no doubts that the coaching staff would bench anyone other than Harden.

2. gah

gah Member

Agreed, I too prefer Brent, who I think should be doing games for TNT or ESPN. I commend Jon Barry for not being afraid of being called an *******, most others just play nice and don't speak their minds.

3. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

But I think Jon takes it to a whole new level of r****d. ie During the last Houston game he covered and this one...I think he mentioned not allowing Lin to go right about 12 times. As an analyst, you should make a point once, maybe twice to emphasize it, but to keep going on about it is just huuurible.....hurrahbul.

4. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Jon is the father of all LOFs. He is where they get all their material. I think he was the one who invented the "can't go left" idea, and all the LOFs jumped on it. I've seen him go left tons of times. Jon is just an idiot.

5. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

You mean father of all LOHs?

6. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

That's right. Missed that one.

7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Lin has finally settle down and relax much more on the court. Plus this team is incredibly young so it would take some time for guys like Lin to really get it going... But I am happy that he's starting to turn it around. His court vision is incredibly sharp and if he keeps this up, the Rockets backcourt will be unstoppable.

8. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Lin is magic...there no stats yet to measure his magical abilities...hes force for good...go rockets!

9. dacman

dacman Member

Meh, former Knick and commentator Walt Frazier still has nice things to say about Lin and also expressed that Lin wasn't playing his natural PG position with the Rockets.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Don't see how that is hate unless you are talking about yourself. Lin is going to be a very good to great player for the Rockets. He still has not been consistent enough to say he is second best player when he just hadn't been. If you read most of my posts regarding Lin, you'll see that I think he is developing off ball skills from being truly deadly.

I am a Lin fan. I am loving his recent play. Harden and Lin are working better together. I think Lin will be second or third best rocket next season.

11. PositivityDome

I think Jeremy is just in the right mindset now. He looks to get his and attacks the basketball rather than just spotting up right from the beginning of most of the plays, and when he does spot up and gets the ball back, he is attacking right from that point of contact more often.

I disagree that Jeremy doesn't have a midrange game... Jeremy atually has a VERY good midrange jumper. The reason this isn't really noticed is because he's not really using it. This is due to the fact that the offense the Rockets run is predicated on him being a 3 Point shooter.

Speaking of 3 point shooting, he's not a good catch and shoot player. He is not a good 3 point shooter. He shouldn't be asked to be doing that this year, as it is evident he can't consistently pull off shooting a high percentage from game to game, and this is where his good midrange (15-20FT) jumper comes in, since he is proficient at those.

Doubt we'll see the coaching staff actually adjust to having Jeremy shoot long range 2's instead of his 3's because they want to keep more spacing for Harden drives, but I think a little tighter window for Harden drives and a better catch and shoot shot from Lin would ultimately be better for the team.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not true. Jeremy shoots the midrange jumper at a higher percentage than the three, but the three is worth 3 points versus 2. Lin is shooting approximately 30% from three point line. His mid range jumper would need to be 45% to make up for it only being 2 points. It is only 36%.

Last season, Lin's mid range was about 45%, but Lin's three point shot was 32%. The easiest way for Lin to become a great player is improve his 3pt shot.

13. dchoye

dchoye Member

I watching reviewing Lin's game last season against the Lakers where he had 38 points and I still feel that was his best scoring game.
    He did almost everything right. Long 3 pointer, floaters from mid range, drive to bucket with easy layups.
    Even the Spurs game where he had 38 this season wasn't as good IMO as he mostly of the scores were 3's.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

My impression is that the Rockets coaching staff is currently focused in on player development. If you do well as a player you get minutes. If not, then not. That philosophy seems to have resulted in improvement. Nuff said until it isn't working anymore.

15. cw3k

cw3k Member

The biggest problem with Lin is high expectation from everyone. He, too let this get into his head and lost the confident. Now his plays better and his confident is back.

1 person likes this.
  16. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

I was disappointed in Lin's play at the beginning of the season. I know there was a lot of reasons why, and it's been covered at length, but I was still disappointed and felt for him.....

Now that he's been playing better, I realised the guy wasn't 100%.

He's been getting faster and moving better the last couple of games, laterally and especially jumping. It was very evident in the Chicago game I thought, just his general movement.

All of which has nothing to do with coaching, Harden, new team etc. Jeremy wasn't 100%, now granted most NBA players habour a niggle or two, but for Jeremy his game predicates on driving the lane and layups, and without his speed/better vert, he really did struggle.

So, just wanted to say onwards and upwards Jeremy! :)

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I actually think that it's the opposite problem. The biggest problem he had was low expectations from everyone. The lower the expectations on Lin, the worse he plays. The higher the expectations on Lin, the better he plays. Being told to be a role player seemed to have sapped his energy, and, now that his responsibility has increased, he seems to have been reenergized.

18. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

Totally man, Walt has class and is a better commentator then J Barry. J Barry never has anything insightful to say, seriously.....