1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting PG Beverly or Prigioni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by XxTCNxX, Feb 20, 2015.

?

Who is best fit for a future PG position?

Poll closed Mar 20, 2015.
  1. Beverly

35.2%
  2. Prigioni

64.8%
  1. Lightsnowaction

Pablo actually started every game for the Knicks in the playoffs at PG, so it is possible.

2. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I would like to see that. He is a true PG and I would also like to see him play with Harden, because the guy can nail threes. He shot 46% last season. Lower number this year but that's probably because he has had to play way more minutes.

3. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Patrick Beverly should start. He is athletic, younger and has more energy. Pablo Prigioni is a very high IQ basketball player. Fundamentally sound player/coach on the floor. Prigioni plays unselfish team oriented basketball.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Harden can't defend the opponent's PGs

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Yea I'd like to see P at least get a lot of minutes so I can see what it's like to have a point guard that can pass the ball, set up pick and rolls, make some open shots and not miss fast break layups for once...ya know..the basic NBA skillsets. I don't think I'm asking for too much am I??

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if jones is healthy first week of march this could be our best startinglineup

harden
    brewer
    ariza
    smith
    dmo or jones, depending on the other team and matchups

harden will guard the sg or sf, brewer guards the pg. if smith can build on his momentun he could get back to nearly the playmaker he was in atlanta. so he and harden would be good enough for playmaking in the starting lineup.

bev, terry and priggs will fight for the backup guard minutes, with harden, brewer or ariza at sf. then dorsey only comes in for spot minutes, when the bigs are tired, or foul trouble.

the only problem i have is that dorsey starting gives the coaching staff a feel for the game and saves some fouls for dmo or whoever the other starting big will be. dmo, smith or jones could be in foul trouble faster without dorsey starting, but im willing to risk it

7. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

I think Prigs is competent enough to handle the ball without turning it over much but I tend to think that he makes very safe passes which isn't necessarily a bad thing however, no risk means no reward. That being said, considering how often this team turns it over, maybe a more conservative approach from our PG is the way to go.

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

Let's not be so quick to write off Pablo.

In garbage time against the Raps he drove the lane and made a nice pocket pass to Dorsey.
    Dorsey was so open in the lane he almost didn't know what to do. Fortunately, he made the finger roll.
    He seemed to make pretty good decisions with the ball in the limited touches he had.

And, he has a .414 career avg from 3. That came down when he was with the
    Knicks. But what DOESN'T come down when you play for the Knicks?

Besides, Bev had 3 open corner 3's in a row, and clanked all 3.
    It was pretty uncomfortable to watch. You would think he could drain at least 1?
    It was like they were letting him shoot and DARING him to make one.
    He didn't disappoint.
    We need additional offense and shooting at PG to take some attention off of Harden.
    Pablo seems to have some BB smarts and be able to make good plays and passes.
    But we won't know until we see more of him.

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He did already. He showed up.

10. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Where's the "neither" option?

Looking at the 2015 FA PGs and there's no one appealing. Maybe trade for Brandon Jennings now that he's expendable due to the Reggie Jackson trade?

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Sergio Llull

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You can't really expect more than 15-20 minutes out of him

13. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Haven't the Rockets been waiting for Llull for the past three years?

Getting desperate for an upgrade at PG, heck, will even jump on the "trade for Rubio" bandwagon.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I see there are a lot of people who are expecting Prigioni to be some sort of revelation for the Rockets, and it is going to be very disappointing for them. He'll do some things here and there, but he'll largely be a non-factor, if we're being honest.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

At least he can play the part of a basic PG, and that is the most you can expect from him. Smart decision making can have a good impact on team play. No one is expecting him to outplay the elite PG's.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Tonight's game reiterated my thoughts on this, we're better off without a true PG when Harden is on the floor. Much rather see Brewer starting along with the other guys than Beverley or Prigioni. Gives us much more height, defense and an okay spot-up shooter that knows his role and hustles.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You will change your mind when Harden is unable to pass, and drive against the bigger teams. The PG has to be a secondary facilitator/ shooter. Prigioni has the capability to do that, in short bursts.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If Prigioni can get some backup PG minutes, the most I'm hoping for him to do is keep the turnovers down some. Don't really have any expectations outside of that.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Ultimately what we need is someone who can shoot a three and who can guard Westbrook, Paul, and Lillard. Everything else is secondary. That may not even be possible to find anywhere in the league, but of the two, I would think Beverly has the best chance to be successful. Beverly also adds rebounding on both ends, an area where we need some help without Dwight. Ultimately it may need to be Ariza or Brewer who guard these fast PG's we are about to go head to head with. Someone will need to accept the challenge of making life difficult. Think we have PF solved with Smith. But we are weak at C ( Rebounding ) and PG defensively ( Stops ).

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Beverley is questionable tonight with flu-like symptoms. Why not just throw Prigioni into the fire and see what comes out?