1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting DMO plot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theteam, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. StrawberryJamm

Read, I already laid out a situation. End of close games before the 2:00 mark when teams have gone small and are making Howard and Capela shoot free throws.

If you believe Beasley/Ariza is a better option at the 4/5 in this scenario, I can understand that logic. If you think Terence Jonesing everyone on the team before ATTEMPTING to use them correctly is a good idea, than I don't.

Dwight shooting free throws and guarding Kyrie Irving is subtracting from the team... is subtracting from the team.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Meh, basically giving into the hack-a-whoever strategy at the expense of defense/rebounding. The Rockets actually win most games where they're getting hacked in the 4th quarter (as they usually have a lead at that point).

But yeah, I'd take Beasley/Ariza over D-Mo at the 5 right now.

D-mo isn't providing value worthy enough of increased playing time... or crunch-time playing time.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

We did the same thing last year with Dorsey. He would start, but his minutes would barely break into the teens. We've all seen it on other teams. Starters don't always play heavy minutes. It could be they just don't want Harden and Beasley to ever sit at the same time, so they have to stagger the PF's that way. Just a thought.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Josh Smith was inserted come playoff time last year... lineups are definitely flexible based on how a team is going and what is working.

Beasley could be starting by next week if ineffective/hobbled D-Mo continues to play like he is.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dmo has not been ineffective he just has a quick hook from JBB - and when he is matched up against much quicker players on defense - he can struggle but on the flipside we have to take advantage of him on the low post, which we aren't.....

It is a matter of opportunity and utilization, DMo needs more consistent playing time, and right now, Beasley is just better.

DD

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dmo sets the best established screens of the bigs and either rolls to the basket or an open corner.

You have develop this aspect to add more variety on offense when competing against the better teams with a post option.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why?

Capela should get those minutes.
    DMo has had what, 2 good games this year? His defence is in the toilet - prolly the worst on the team right now(or is that a team strategy?)

DMo still looks like a project...

8. StrawberryJamm

I agree, he's been pretty bad and if he proves uncapable of offsetting the decrease in rim protecting and defensive rebounding by improving the perimeter defence and flow of the offense moving forward when playing the 5, than he's honestly a bad investment, he has to have that ability.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's been pretty bad. Especially compared to what he was at his best last year.

He looks like a lost rookie at times. Which is troubling. This is without the homer/biased glasses on.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Right now with dmo's reduced athleticism and strength he is less effective in scrambling and freelance type situations . Given the lack of smart , fundamental players on our roster ... We often end up in those exact scenarios. When the guys around him are playing fundamentally sound and smart Dmo can fit in very well as he himself plays a very fundamental game . He plays positional defense and positional offense . Right now he hasn't developed a lot of chemistry with how the team is playing and I blame this mostly for when he makes mistakes . His post moves aren't fully back and his shot isn't in rhythm , so what he can best offer is being in the right place at the right time ( last year this was very valuable )

This is why people say teams like the Spurs are a good fit for him . However , Dmo was athletic enough last year to render this moot and play adequate when we were freelancing and exceptional when we ran semi set pieces . He and Dwight and Beverley and Ariza need to get on the same page defensively . Offensively I'm not too worried . Dwight has lost a step and wasn't the best rotational defender anyways . The coach in staff has got to figure out a way to get him involved .

Also I think a lot of this is matchup . Dmo is very good defending bigger 4's . But we haven't played a lot of those recently .

11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Dmo and beasleys games are quite different. Dmo actually knows what a pass is and is pretty good at it. Beasly can score. No doubt. But what happens when he is off?

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Is DMo trying to lower his contract value by getting in foul trouble early?

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I agree, D-Mo doesn't look that good. In fact a lot of the time he looks straight horrible. You can tell he's obviously still recovering from injury/surgery.

Beasley looks awesome. I definitely want to see more of him.

Though, to be fair, D-Mo adds a dimension Beasley does not, and the offense runs so nice when D-Mo isn't winded (which is far too few of the time) because he moves the ball so well and sets such nice picks.

I'd like to see both of them get all the minutes at the PF spot.

What I want to see stop is our small-ball bull****. I never want to see Brewer and Ariza in the game together ever again.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

A better question is how many games has he been off so far?

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

To answer the OP's question, if D-Mo starts 4 of these last 7 games, he will meet the "starter criteria" entitling him to a higher qualifying offer ($4.3 million) than he otherwise would be eligible for ($3.3 million).

However, unless D-Mo actually accepts the qualifying offer (which I doubt), this will have little impact on the Rockets' cap situation. Either way, D-Mo's cap hold will be $5.72 million this summer until he is renounced, signs elsewhere or an offer sheet is matched by Houston.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You guys had enough of DMo yet?

17. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Tonight +23 in 12 min but Brewer play more than him and take his minutes

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

+- 23

that makes him look good

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He was good . Rushed offensively , but pretty hard to get in a rhythm and calm down when you only play 10 min a game . The 12 min he was on the floor was the best team d we played . +/- is a very tricky stat , but it still can tell some things if used in conjunction with watching the game .

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Surprised at the +/-. He sure didn't look good to me.