1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Tom Savage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If Savage doesn't get a shot this season, it's unlikely he'll get his shot here.

If he doesn't get his shot here, it's likely he'll go on to be a Pro Bowler elsewhere. It's just how Houston sports work.

Now's the time to see what we have. I fear we're about to lose four of our last five.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy how I've been thinking the same thing

3. Mr. Space City

It's like ya'll don't understand that there is no way they will start Savage over Brock if Brock is healthy.

Management will rather HOPE and PRAY Brock puts together a nice stretch rather than admit they ****ed up signing Brock by benching him.

ramotadab likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If I were the owner, continuing to start osweiler at this point would be putting your job on the line. I wouldn't make the coach start savage, but if he didn't put savage in to at least see and osweiler continues to be, well, bad, that's it your fired at end of the season.

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I've grown to HATE BROCK ASSWEILER

Yaosthirdleg and mario_v like this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Playing Savage doesn't mean it was a mistake to sign Brock, it only means Brock isn't playing well right now and we need to try another option. And if for some it does mean it was a mistake who cares. Won't matter if team turns it around and starts winning.

Tony Romo is the most expensive backup in the history of the NFL and it looks like that will be the case for a while. Money shouldn't matter when it comes to player decisions on a week to week basis.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bench Osweiller and let him develop and compete to start next season. He had his chance, and much more of a chance than Savage ever got. If we do better with Savage then everyone should breathe a sigh of relief and thank Bill for ending the horrific offensive plays we have had to endure this year. Enough is enough man. How long do we have to keep hearing we need to play better and we need to coach better? Put in Savage so we can all sing "It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!"

Yaosthirdleg and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. mick fry

mick fry Member

Better than admitting they wasted 72 mil.

10. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

At some point you got to say enough is enough and try something new. They are in jeopardy of going on a long losing streak and giving up the division lead. You can't have that mentality of "oh well, on to the next game" and think everything will just work out. Who cares if your stinking QB cost you $72 million dollars, and must start! You are trying to win, if Seattle and Dallas have the balls to replace their multimillion dollar QBs because it wasn't working then the Texans should do the same too. This conservative approach will not get you anywhere

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

One of the announcing crews said that we were using only about 75 plays a week due to the offense being so you and Osweiler being new.

At the very least, starting Savage let's you know if that's because of rookie WRs and a new RB, or if it's because of Osweiler.

Savage should know the entire playbook by this point.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It's only a wasted 72 million if he doesn't ever develop. He's learned what he needs to work on, but enough of the highly paid internship this year. We still have a chance to make the playoffs!! Let his internship continue from the bench and practice field. Savage has had much more time learning the system, and can't be as bad as Brock.

Yaosthirdleg and red5rocket like this.
  13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Maybe Savage really sucks in practice. Only thing I can think of as Brock is clearly holding this team back.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That int trying to hit fiedorowicz...that's as open as it gets in the NFL. He missed the target I don't want to even guess how far over a 6'7" athlete's head but the ball was caught 10+ yards behind him.

That isn't something you can work on, I don't think. That's something NFL caliber qbs should be able to do by now. This team is so frustrating to watch it isn't even fun anymore. If they're going to ride or die with Brock because they spent money when the OBVIOUSLY better QB sits, then it's time for me to stop watching. That isn't a team that wants to win, it's a team that wants to be right.

IF and it's a pretty big IF Savage was somehow worse than Brock you can go ahead and cut him right now. There's no point in even having an active backup, is there? What, is Savage missing guys by 15 yards?! Christ on ice Brock sucks.

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

This is just like going out with a Hot chick and then realizing yall have nothing in common. Well you cant bring her home to mom and dad so you got to broom her.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

They will start Savage, don't worry.

Next year, around the halfway point, when that season is lost too. And he'll more or less suck too.

How do some of you still not understand how this dysfunctional organization operates? They are always a day late and a dollar short. And predictable.

Until McNair croaks, and Smith gets fired, there's really no light at the end of the tunnel. Unless you like backing into the playoffs, with no real shot at contending, by being a part of the shittiest division in the NFL.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

that's a bizarre way of looking at it. "wasting a pick on tom savage" would be the least of anybody's concerns. may as well say if weeden doesn't start next week, they are admitting he was a wasted free agent signing.

moligity likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You made a good point. Why would they have kept Savage around if he is worse than Brock? It doesn't make any sense. They had to have seen something in him to keep him this long. It's time for them to put away the egos, suck it up, whether they overpaid or not, and just put in the best man to do the job and give us a chance at the playoffs this year. With our defense I think Savage is competent enough to fill the role. It's not going to be much of a hurdle for him to score more than Brock has, or throw less interceptions. Bill is going to get more respect from the fans by admitting Brock isn't our man, than to continue and utter those same words we have grown to hate. You know the ones. We need to play better, We need to coach better, We blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I think if he keeps that up his job is in more jeopardy than making a change, because I don't see Brock making enough progress to even give us a chance this year. I don't know about all of you, but I am so tired of us humiliating ourselves on National TV, and giving those broadcasters something to back up their claims that we are the worst Division leader in the league. I want to shut them up!!!!

ramotadab likes this.
  19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Savage outplayed Brock in training camp. Give that bald man a chance.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The only reason Osweiler should still be starting is if...

1) BOB is trying to rub Rick Smith's nose in it (i.e. Brock was Rick's decision entirely)
    or
    2) BOB is a totally stubborn dumbass
    or
    3) We are tanking

I'm ready to move on. Who do we draft?

deb4rockets and ramotadab like this.