1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

“Rey, I am your father!”

“And, I’m your mother!”

“Nooooooo!!!!!!!”

“Search your feelings...you know it to be true!”

Yung-T and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It's official, prequels better than the Disney era sequels.

VanityHalfBlack, Jontro and Blatz like this.
  3. Zergling

Zergling Member

I enjoyed it, and I'm glad I'm not the only one, based on the Rotten Tomatoes audience score. Maybe I'm just a sucker for fan service but there were so many great moments, and for me they made up for whatever flaws the movie had. The ending was stunning.

I find it funny that there will be many who hate this movie but loved Avengers Infinity War/Endgame even though those movies had similar flaws in terms of plot holes, videogame-like fetch quests, etc.

Deuce, BigM and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Endgame had a much better payoff and treated their characters with respect

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

It's really all subjective. Different people enjoy different things. I'm sure there are things that can be matched up and compared, but I prefer to plop my ass in a comfy chair, shovel some buttery popcorn into my mouth, and take it for what it's worth...A movie about space wizards and monsters, and aliens, and space ships and lazer swords that took place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Deuce, BigM and Jontro like this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"Will my 8-year olds like it?" is all I care about this time around.

mikol13 and CCity Zero like this.
  7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I enjoyed it. Criminal to compare this trilogy to the prequels.

it was good. Lots of stuff and a few campy as hell parts but the original trilogy had some as well. Maybe not Empire.

worth watching and better than TLJ.

Yung-T, BigM and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No. The writing and overall arcs in the sequels are questionable, jump all over the place, have plot holes etc but the prequals were a **** show in basic foundations that make a film. The dialogue is absolute ****. Characters act like robots. The plot is told through exposition mostly and the actors looked like they were superimposed on a green screen the entire time.

The sequels at least had dialogue that sounded like real humans rather than robots regurgitating lines. And it showed it's story more than telling it through exposition.

#288 fchowd0311, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    BigM likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

This. The avengers series has the same gaping plot holes, pacing issues etc that the sequels have.

The difference is that the Avengers series doesn't have a female series runner and doesn't have some light "strong women" tropes that piss of incels to the point of spamming their hatred across 70 YouTube channels. If a movie or television series gets the "woke" branding by the intellectual dark web community such as The Watchman or Star Wars, then all level headed critical analysis is thrown out the window and virulent Anti-SJWs make sure you know if you believe there are any positive things about these films, you are a "woke sheep".

The Avengers series is overated as ****. The story isn't believable and the final battle sequence in endgame reminded me of over the top bad anime season finales. Maybe comic book superhero movies just have significantly lower standards but then again Star Wars is a family friendly sci-fi and fantasy series and yet it has far harsher standards by the critics.

There are some serious writing flaws in the sequels. Primarily because they didn't develop an overarching narrative before filming the TFA and just developed the narrative with different directors and writers as the series moved along making the sequels disjointed and not cohesive. Those are genuine criticisms.

But the sequels aren't piles of trash worse than the prequels. That's when I shut off hearing someone's two cents.

#289 fchowd0311, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    BigM likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

You mean unadulterated fan service?

J Sizzle likes this.
  11. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker as it was chalk full of fan service. Like candy it was a lot of filler and good scenes and
    action and jedi stuff we love though it along with the whole 3 part series was lacking in cohesion and wondrous storytelling.

The first key mistake Disney made was allowing two different directors to have their own separate scripts and then have to
    tie it back together. Half of Rise of Skywalker was basically undoing all that occurred in The Last Jedi.

JJ Abrams should've done all three with his singular vision and execution. Silly to think you can mix a story with so many
    moving parts with flexibility to different directors. Think of how Chris Nolan was able to develop the whole Batman saga with
    Begins, that leads into Dark Knight and then despite Ledger's death to have Dark Knight Rises continue yet flow within his vision.
    The style, characters etc was all developed with a singular vision. Disney is too political and attempting to appease everyone
    including kids, toy makers, social justice and diversity types whereas Chris Nolan just tried to make a damn good movie.
    Nolan did the best of any fantasy/superhero type movie up there with Mangold's Logan and Favreau's take on Iron Man.

JJ did the best job one could hope for and did it in a way full of nostalgia with the X-wing, Emperor, Tattoinne, Voices of
    all the Jedi. Was cheap thrills and nostalgia but was tasty.

Yung-T, Deuce, BigM and 5 others like this.
  12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

just got out of the movie with my boys. I absolutely loved it. This was a legit Star Wars film if you appreciate the original trilogy.

There was old mixed with a few new wrinkles. Plenty of cool Easter eggs that surprised the hell out of me.

The second scene in the opening was extremely powerful.

Not much I didn’t like. I could have done without the lesbian kiss, (not because I have a problem with that) because it was just a throw in moment to please more people, but whatevs.

Had no problem with the pacing at all, no problem with anything Leia. I thought it was done well.

Pretty stoked

Yung-T, Deuce, BigM and 2 others like this.
  13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yes

My 10 and 7 year olds loved it.

Blake likes this.
  14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I mentioned this on my podcast today. While I do love the Disney films individually and would rank TLJ, Rogue One, and Force Awakens among my favorite, together as a trilogy it's the weakest of the three. While the Prequels had their share of problems, one key component they had that this trilogy didn't, was one coherent vision throughout the movies. Sure, taken on their own merit, those movies had bad dialogue and acting, plot holes, potty humor, etc, but it still felt like an actual trilogy of connected films. Rise of Skywalker felt completely different from TLJ which felt different from FA. And with Skywalker, it didn't feel so much as a story but rather a whole bunch of action scenes. The characters rarely stop for a moment, and when they do it's very brief. When they go from point A to B you don't really understand how they get there. A little too much was packed into this. In fact, I think if they take all three films, smash them together and re-edit them, they could probably churn out three movies that are better connected. For instance, there are plot developments in Rise that should have been introduced in FA. Had they been, the payoff would have been better.

Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Definitely the best movie out of the trilogy, i’d give 8/10.

Pros:

Rey is a just a beast as a force wielder. Seriously her potential is absolutely insane, Daisy Ridley does a great job of portraying the power she has, her choreography was much better this film.

Ben Solo, great performance by Driver, felt like a much more natural fit. That Han scene had me in my feels.

The true big bad, I hope this is the last time we see him since he’s dominated Star Wars movies, but damn, that lightning scene left me speechless. I hope people understand that he’s really generally considered the most powerful sith to ever live... movies, canon, anywhere.

Scenery, loved revisiting the death star, the fight in the ocean was great.

Less Rose

Yellow light saber

Cons

I know you think lightsabers are primitive but my dude, pull back the lightning.

The last force ghost was unnecessary.

Knights of Ren

BigM, Deckard, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I’m stunned so many of you liked it. I thought it was all hyperactive noise and no character or heart. Too much plot, too many characters.

I’ve revisited movies and liked them better than at first viewing, but this won’t be one of them.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I enjoyed it.

2 thoughts.

baby Yoda is a bum.

Was that boba fett’s ship? That could be the tie in.

18. VanityHalfBlack

This post actually gave me some hope. Is there a lot of scenes like that in the movie? I like well choreographed stuff.

KingCheetah likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is excellent new +1 review point.

20. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

They Jar Jar'd Rose lol

Yung-T, Deuce, BigM and 1 other person like this.