1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

I think I believe it. Having watched the scenes they dropped from the teaser trailer it seems the majority of them would have been in direct connection to a different ending ( Gyn and Cassian running with plans on the beach, Cassian fighting with the rebels, Krennic and the white cape on the beaches instead of in the tower ). Given we know they shot the Vader scene at the last minute, it would make sense that after changing the ending entirely to the tower they felt they needed a vader ending added as well. All of that adds up for me, plus I have no reason to think they are lying. The only thing I find hard to believe is that Disney didn't know anything. I think they all agreed on one ending in the original script, but after screening it, they decided to go all in on a new/or as originally considered ending.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah so this explanation is not what I don't believe. I'm almost positive this happened.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Watched it for the 2nd time last night since the theater and I really enjoyed it much more this time around, but my complaints are still the same.

They blew it on Diego Luna and Riz Ahmed casting. They had way too much screen time and they were just so hard to understand. Diego Lunas accent made it hard to understand him and Riz Ahmeds fast mumbling made him hard to understand. I like them both as actors for different types of roles, but they were out of place here. Honestly, Diego should have been the pilot and Cassian should have been recast

K-2S0's one-liners and jokes still felt out of place. The music and story just didn't allow for humor.

The first Vader scene should have ended at the priest kneeling and telling Vader that Krennic was available via hologram and then you see Krennic's POV as he speaks to a hologram Vader. You still would have gotten the bad ass castle on Mustafar shot and the bantha tank shot, but you would have eliminated the lame ass walking out with a smoke machine scene and the pointless conversation where we end up just feeling sad James Earl Jones is so ******* old and his voice shows it.
    3P0 and R2 shoe in scene was forced and out of place too. Just have a quick walk by with no lines of dialogue.

Didn't like Donnie Yen and Wen Jiang's roles as the guardians at first. Liked them better this time around, but i still find it lame that Donnie Yen went around knocking stormtroopers out cold with a stick to their helmets.

The CGI Tarkin and Leia weren't that bad this time around. Still very fake in their movement, but passable.

Michael Giachinno didn't have very long to do the score, but that still doesn't give him a complete pass. It felt like his Star Trek score mixed with John Williams OT homage.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I watched Rogue One actually in the theater recently before they stopped screening it.

I liked it, good movie. They took Star Wars into a tone and setting people have wanted for a LONG time.

I agree with most the general commentary about this film. The 3RD ACT is an INTENSE RIDE, probably the most action packed act of all the Stars Wars films. It drags too long from beginning to the 2nd act, and characters were not developed enough. But once it finds its footing it TAKES OFF. I'm very much okay with the use of older SW elements and fan service in the film. If R1 came out BEFORE T.F.A., people would be praising the references.

Positives:
    Actual dark tone. Final act. Non-Jedi hero-ism. Sensible non-cheesy dialogue. Diverse casting. Plot hole fix. Tarkin maybe the best passable CGI character ever. F***ing Vader, BRAH, VADER.

Nit-Picks/Negatives:
    Under-developed characters 1st & 2nd. 1st act not setting the table good enough. Pandering for the Chinese market (though I do like the diversity). CGI Leia honestly has haunted me in my sleep. Badly done, too much Uncanny Valley.

Its too bad more wasnt done for character depth. All the other things can get overlooked with connection to characters. I understand the action and motives can create the characters and not the other way around. They needed to get right into the butt kicking. But Star Wars fandom is BASED on MERCHANDISING and fondness of the characters. Need more reason to want to support and sympathize with the characters. Good job overall still

5. Shroopy2

Agree. I've seen a particular prequels idea a couple times where: Just not even HAVE Phantom Menace existing cuz its needless, just remove it altogether, start OUT with Clones 1st, Sith 2nd, then a long overlooked "Darth Vader Rules The Galaxy" movie. Clones is considered the worst but interesting to theorize if it woulda been better received as the 1st prequel film. And even a bad Lucas directed Vader film woulda been anticipated.
    Agree with those as well. Generally masked VILLIAN characters NEVER or RARELY unmask. Whats the relevance of a mask if you're just gonna leave the mask off for the day after you take it off to drink some coffee.

I'll add about TFA that I thought they made Rey TOO SuperGirl-y too soon. I think Jin is a more compelling deeper character than Rey. You sense Jin's strength from vulnerability more than Rey. BUT it just shows how making the characters LIKABLE can create better fan appreciation.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Rogue One
    -------------------------------------------
    4. Wouldn't be mad If I never, ever saw any of the other Star Wars films. I hope they are able to add a couple more movies to this list, but I just can't imagine Rey or Finn doing it. Yawn... Crossing my fingers for more standalone movies. Han/Chewie spinoff?

7. Shroopy2

Despite your overly-elitist bashing on TFA and my little critique of Rey, Finn and Rey are likable characters and have a good on-screen dynamic. To me theyre the pleasant surprise of TFA, that even though theyre obvious "diversity" type castings, they hold their own decently

I actually NEVER saw a SINGLE trailer for TFA or Rogue One. Saw them both TOTALLY BLIND with no expectations. Not saying my viewpoint is most accurate, just that I didnt go in with any pre-conceived notions and influences

I think most of Rogue One fan commentary is accurate. And TFA is unfairly called a "cheap" New Hope reboot. Yes it is a reboot, but I think the intention was clear its SUPPOSED to remind everyone of what made them love Star Wars. Just Abrams went with people's original late '90s wish of how Star Wars "should" have been made to look, instead of 2000's fans UPDATED wishes saying "just go a NEW direction altogether".

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

We are going to have to disagree, and I really wish I could find something I like in the film outside of watching Han run around with a blaster again.

In my humble opinion, TFA is a steaming pile of doo-doo, with no sustenance, and it gets worse with every viewing. Frankly, I find it to be completely unwatchable at this point. I think Finn is passable, but Rey is absolutely dreadful. A good example of some much better acting from a leading actress is in Rogue One. I think, all in all, it is the second worst Star Wars movie. Yup, worse than Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith.

I am extremely disappointed in JJ, very much in the same way that I am disappointed in PJ for new The Hobbit films.

Again, Rogue One kicks all kinds of ass.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Decided to watch it tonight. I mentioned earlier I had never seen a star wars movie, so I probably didn't have enough background info, but I found the movie incredibly boring. Probably would have liked it more if I had any investment in the franchise

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the characters are fine, it's just mediocre writing and a bad plot. I'm not surprised. JJ Abrams is not a good director. He's fine at execution, but he lacks any kind of creativity. The prequels had awful writing and poor acting, but the plots were original, creative, and exciting. TFA is so boring after one watch. I feel kind of similarly about RO to be honest.

Here's my rankings:
    1. Empire Strikes back
    2. A New Hope
    Large gap
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    Large gap
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. Rogue One
    Large gap
    7. The Force Awakens
    8. The Phantom Menace

That being said, Rian Johnson is awesome and I'm very optimistic about The Last Jedi.

11. Bandwagoner

I'm surprised TFA is getting all the hate. daisy ridley and john boyega are so much better than (insert people's names I can't remember).

TFA's 6th man is freaking oscar isaac. rey, finn, poe...... I genuinely cannot remember any of the names from RO and I saw it much more recently.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I saw it the other night on a home theater. First mistake. I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would. I kept nodding off during the slow parts. It was decent but I didn't feel any connection to any of the characters. Even though there were some emotional scenes, I experienced no emotion. It kind of felt like going through the motions. It was a very specific plot with not much variance. I missed the key characters. It didn't have that epic feel to me. It almost felt like a good made-for-TV SW movie. The graphics didn't really make it better for me, either. I may need a second viewing. At this point, not sure where I would rate it. I liked SF:TFA more as of now...and I didn't really care all that much for that movie, either. I'm hoping the next film with Luke can bring back some feeling and excitement I got from the originals. But, I also admit that I'm older now and maybe I just can't get into this like before. I mean...seeing the original back in the 70s as a kid was an epic experience primarily due to the timing, lack of sci-fi movies, the new CGI and graphics developed while making the film, etc. . I don't think that magic can be recaptured. It was a great time to be a kid and catch the first three that came out. I just remember how everyone was immensely into it...to the point of crowds standing up and cheering wildly in the sequels whenever they saw the main characters appear in the film for the first time.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I feel like people haven't seen Revenge of the Sith in a while. I remember thinking it wasn't too bad when I came out of the theatres but having watched it within the last couple years, it's a pile of a$$hole. There's very little that's good about it. Best of the prequels but so so far behind everything else.

Return of the Jedi is mediocre but there's enough importance there to save it. The rest of the movies are good to great. I like Rey and the actress who plays her. But anyways, to each their own.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Agree to disagree indeed, especially about Rey. Sometimes you wonder if people have some sort of personal animosity when you read their reviews/critiques. Maybe the posh London accent turned you off? (Probably not, as you like the lead in "Rogue One").

She was great, from the acting to the action scenes. Don't know what you were expecting, but it's like reading 'holic post about Clint Capela or Ricky Rubio, or FTW about JJ "Fatt": mind is made up, just can't reach'em.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This. Revenge of the Sith benefited from following two a total turd and then a kind of turd. It's not good. I can't sit through any of the prequels.

I really liked The Force Awakens, but I acknowledge that it has seriously annoying plot devices like the new version of the Empire, pushing reset to get us back to the "rebels" fighting against a superior enemy, etc. But even with that, it didn't feel as cheap and poorly acted as any of the prequels.

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

A holic post huh? :)

I thought she was cardboard. But hey, If Rey in The Force Awakens is what defines "great" for you, by all means... I can't disagree more.

Star Wars fans have been dying for a decent Star Wars, hence the absurd Rotten Tomatoes score. Everyone wanted something that wasn't dreadful, and everyone got member berries. As the years go by, people are going to start seeing how terrible TFA really is. It has zero staying power, and it is already aging poorly. TFA=Hobbit films...

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Mads, Forest and Donnie Yen? That cast was stacked. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega? Wtf? Haha... Felicity Jones is far more accomplished as an actress. FAR more.

And Jesus, you remembered the cardboard that was Rey, Finn and Poe? Kudos, truly.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Wanted to post my order for some reason too:

1. Empire Strikes Back
    YUGE gap

2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Force Awakens

All aboard for the pile of crap below:
    6. Revenge of the Sith

Nuke from orbit:
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Phantom Menace

BigM and RudyTBag like this.
  19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The correct ranking of all Star Wars movies is this:

1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    4. RO

20. Bandwagoner

forest was in the movie for 30 seconds. yen was possibly the best part about the movie. no idea who mads is. felicity jones sucked balls, no idea what else she has done. have heard her name before tho. Never heard of Finn or Rey was either but she was certainly a million times more charismatic than the skinnier girl who died on the beach with the guy she just met in RO on the beach. oscar isaac delivered the best performance of anyone in both movies.