1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It is and isn't kind of explained in the new canon. In the expanded universe that is now non canon, I believe the Empire lasted for a while. While the second death star and the Emperor were destroyed, the Empire was a vast organization with thousands of systems, a vast bureaucracy, and a large, still mostly intact military structure. The Universe was basically split between the new Republic headed by the rebels and the still powerful remnants of the Empire. It was basically what the excellent Thrawn Trilogy was about (and many more books).

In the now canon Star Wars Universe, the Empire still lasted a while after the second death star. Basically until the Battle of Jakku 5 years after the second Death Star (Jakku where Rey grew up). They then signed a treaty while the hardliners ran and basically formed the New Order years later.

They could have very easily had a story where the Empire survived and documented the struggles of the New Republic against a still strong Empire. That's what most of the old books did before Disney wiped them away/

justtxyank likes this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I read something years ago that said that Palpatine's body died at the end of VI, but his spirit roamed around looking for a new body until he found a child's body to take over. Then he started reorganizing the Empire, which like you said, wasn't totally destroyed with the 2nd Death Star.

It was from some Star Wars book that I got for Christmas, but never finished reading.

#nerdtalk

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'll be glad for the upcoming film that there won't be (fingers crossed :confused:) another g.d. Death Star plot device. It's the particular failing of my Star Wars nerd-verse.

With "Episode VI: ROTJ", it was due to George Lucas and his not-giving-a-damn about plot or storyline (find a "Macguffin" and so on and so forth; see also, "Ruined Indiana Jones, Space Aliens").

With "Episode VII: A New Hope 2.0", it was Disney's spinelessness and need to pay back Lucas as much as possible for the franchise, so they went with a reboot and something safe. I still enjoyed it a lot; the new actors were fun, and the old characters brought enough nostalgia (as Disney knew they would) for me to shrug at the "droid with secret plans to desert planet whisked away in Millenium Falcon etc etc".

But so far we've had eight Star Wars movies (including "Rogue One"), and four of them have featured some version of Death Star. That oughtta do it.

GRENDEL likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I saw their review, it was a pretty awful one. It's kind of clear that they are just pulling the "only the original trilogy was any good" BS, which I guess is fine, but I find it pretty easy to ignore people like that.

In short, their opinion is bad and they should feel bad.

6. Bandwagoner

They personally loved the movie. They scored it 8/10 and they liked it much better than Force awakens which they scored 9/10.

You should have watched the video dude. brb, opening up my Geek Crate.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I watched their real reviews being the half in the bag review and the Mr Plinkett reviews (there was 2 of them due to so much backlash resulting from such a bad opinion), so I know what they think of it and again, their opinion is bad and they should feel bad.

8. Bandwagoner

the guy who does plinkett scored it 11/10 so I think you have your facts mixed up. The personally loved it because of the vistas and action and explosions.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought it was fine but the score was somber and set the tone for the end. I didn't like riffs to John Williams and would rather they played the originals completely.

The movie fit nicely as an add-on but because of it, it's a true standalone.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I saw it earlier this week and largely agree with the praises and criticisms. I enjoyed it much more than TFA, but the characters were fairly lacking in character development. The plot carried the movie, but the story was well done and a seamless prequel to ANH. The face CGI looked bad and was distracting to me. Paul Walker's resurrection was better.

11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

That's not their movie review. That's a joke mocking Collider and other podcasts. Here is their review:

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Paul walker was cgi at the end? Wtf. Mind blown.

15. Bandwagoner

[​IMG]

sarcasm is dead among star wars fan boys. I'm the one who posted the video and people are telling me what it is. My quotes are directly from the video. wtf

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

Just Saw. 9.5/10. This movie was bad ass in IMAX-3D. I loved everything about it from the plot, to the dog fighting, to the Death Star, to Vader, to the destroyers crashing together, to the characters. All of it. I walked out thinking this might be the best Star Wars movie ever made. too bad they killed off their stellar actress. I liked Force awakens, but this movie destroyed it. now I have to read the thread and see what you'all are talking about...

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I didn't know it was CG for Tarkin. I didn't even know he was dead. I was immersed and that blew right past me.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

we basically voiced our disappointment in the last vader scene.

19. Nero

Nero Member

I'm sorry, I could not disagree with this more.

In the Star Wars universe, the Empire are the nazis. They are the personification of irredeemable evil. These are not 'two opposing sides', they are the 'evil' in the timeless 'Good vs Evil' conflict. We don't need a sympathetic view of the Empire's 'side' any more than we need sympathetic views of the nazis.

Now here is where Lucas really screwed everything: The Republic was in full force in the 'prequels', which ended at the point in time at which Luke Skywalker was born (end of 'Ep.3').. Then, 'Episode 4' begins barely 20 years later.

And in that mere 20 year time span, the Empire has become fully grown. Thousands of star systems, unimaginable billions (if not trillions) of citizens of the Republic, suddenly converted wholly into an evil Empire. And not only that, by the time of Rogue One/Star Wars, there is ALSO a full-fledged and worn-out Rebellion working against it.

All this in barely 20 years.

This is just one of the reasons why Lucas should never have been allowed to write alone. Basically ANYONE with a lick of sense would have told George not to take this path, and instead should have had the Empire be a monolithic evil presence for a thousand years at least, with a long line of mysterious evil Hitler-like entities as Emperors, but with people only guessing in hushed whispers that there was anything to do with the Force.. that kind of a backdrop.

Anyway, regardless of that, the Empire itself is set up as a tool of the Emperor and his various assorted villainous henchmen (ie the SS).

So again, on a side note, that stupid idea that in the 'Sith' world, there can ever only be one 'Master' and only one 'Apprentice'. WTF? That is the dumbest idea ever. So if you DO succumb to the 'Dark Side of the Force', what do you do? You can't ever be a Sith, because there are always only two? So, you are just lonely evil dark-side force guy? None of that makes any sense.

Regardless of that, there is nothing wrong with having a good villain in a movie, or movies. Darth Vader was basically just a strongman heavy in Star Wars, and it wasn't until ESB that he was fleshed out into one of the most iconic villains of all time. But he was NEVER a sympathetic character, not until he was at the end of his life. Whatever led Lucas to believe that we needed THREE movies trying to turn him into a sympathetic tragic figure... ugh, so not needed.

So, no, we don't need alternating viewpoints. Good and Evil are not different points of view, they are good and evil. We don't need movies focusing on the emotional breadth and scope of Sauron, Hitler, Bin Laden, Manson, or anyone else who is irredeemably evil.

So, maybe the Empire has its own 'SS', and is a program of acquiring Force-sensitive people from among their conscripts and subjugated worlds, turning them into evil spectres.. and maybe we could follow one of them, or a group of them. But what would we see? Would we see them simply going along, being evil, murdering and torturing, executing masses of people, simply advancing the aims of the Emperor and Empire? No, of course not. What kind of movie would that be? Terrible.

No, at best you would see one of these characters becoming conflicted, seeking and maybe achieving redemption, by deciding to secretly work against the Empire. That would be cool, I would probably really like watching that movie, but then you are right back to Campbell's Hero's Journey. (almost like what we may be seeing with Kylo Ren, but dude killed his own father, that's too far over the edge, he can't be redeemed; at best he can sacrifice himself in a final good act, but he can't ever really become a hero now.)

So again, you're really just seeing a similar story that we have already seen - unlikely character rises up to become a hero.

I don't know how you would expect to overcome the fact that evil is just.. evil. It's not sympathetic, it's not just 'different', it's actually bad. And it's not something sympathetic.

But the more I think about it, I am all on board for a movie about a Dark Side force-user working for the Empire turning against his masters and suddenly fighting against them, using the only powers he has - dark side choking, lightning, etc.. basically being 'seduced' by the Light Side. We haven't seen that yet, so that could be very cool.

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

To be fair, if comparing the Empire against the Nazis and the time it take to rise to power: The Treaty of Versailles was signed in 1919 and Hitler had full control of Germany by 1933. That's 14 years.

I think its a reasonable point that the Republic could fall and the Empire could be born in 20 years. It is just that Star Wars has a grander scale.