1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I did get a chance to watch this for a second time on Xmas and I have to say I was just as impressed with it the second time around. I will note that some of the clunkiness, like the whole Saw Guerra subplot, are a bit more evident. It didn't surprise me much that it's generally assumed that subplot was reworked as part of the reshoots.

Even with that, I really enjoyed the whole experience again which was the total opposite of watching The Force Awakens for the 2nd time....

VanityHalfBlack and mikol13 like this.
  4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I read that the ATATs in RO are not the same as in ESB. They were cargo carrying ATATs that were meant for light protection of cargo shipments and not for full on battle.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

like when he saves her and then she is just instantly back in a cage but it isn't being played for comedy.

"we have a long ride ahead of us!"

TITLE SCREEN

long ride omitted

I always wonder what the original movies were supposed to be.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Deuce and Deckard like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow! I was blown away by this, finally seeing it last night and having avoided all spoilers.

I haven't really enjoyed a S.W. movie this much since ESB, without a doubt. And I for one loved the ending. It just made sense (not that things have to make sense of course).

Lame quibbles and favorites:
    Quibs
    1. For real? Every important part of the empire's communication system is handled by a big 1940's style lever switch that is out in open air?
    2. Why was one dude carrying around a cheap looking cooler on his back? Maybe he had some tallboys in there.
    3. Didn't think main rebel leader (the slender, hipster looking guy) was very convincing as having fought since he was six years old. Not that he needed to be swole, necessarily, but he looked like he used fancy skin products on his face, LOL.
    4. I get that it was supposed to be gritty and grimy, but they may have overdone it, especially early, with everyone's and everything's layers of grime. I mean, they have to keep machines running, right? Looked Dickensian.

Faves
    1. The big action set pieces in space. 1000x better than the Lucas prequel overload nonsense. Here, you could actually focus on things happening in the battles. So so so much better.
    2. The Leia scene kind of brought down the house in our theater. That was set up perfectly, and even if her facial CGI was jacked up a little, it was an amazing time to see that, after her passing.
    3. I liked the blind pseudo-force guy, and the whole crystal mining subplot. Worked for me.

Richie_Rich, mikol13, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Saw it over the holiday and liked it. I wasn't as totally blown away as some here though. I will have to see it again in the theater by myself so I can really soak it in and pick up on some stuff I probably missed the 1st time around.

This was clearly a movie aimed more at Star Wars nerds (like myself) and less at kids and casual fans. My wife and 5-year old boys liked TFA much better, although my boys were literally jumping up and down in their seats when they saw Vader at the end (LOL).

I have to agree with those saying we need a movie about Darth Vader kickin' Jedi ass between III and IV. I've been saying that for years and although the ending of R1 was great.....[in my best Christopher Walken voice] I gotta have more Vader!

Uprising likes this.
  9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Totally agree with the second paragraph. I finally watched the movie last night. It was totally pandered towards the older star wars fans.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Uprising likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That'll never happen, and that's probably why they gave us that one scene. A movie about Vader murdering everyone would be neat, but I don't think it would make sense for Disney to do.

Plus, with that ridiculous suit, mask, and cape, his fight choreography is very limited. His arms are restricted in their movement and there's no way he can see anything that's not right in front of him. That's (IMO) why they had to have him fight in a narrow hallway - anything else and he'd have looked silly. And it's not like they can give Vader an altered suit to improve his combat (like Nolan did with Batman) since we know his suit from the prequels and originals is the exact same.

Fighting Vader is best reserved for animation or video games. For pure lightsaber melees I think our best hope is a movie about the Sith Wars.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I finally saw it and I must admit at times it's enjoyable, but I'm not impressed anymore by the Star Wars cinematic universe.

As other have long commented in reviews, I feel this new Disney direction is too sanitized for my taste. No, I'm not advocating for more violence or gore. On the contrary, these films are bloody violent enough for PG-13 audiences. However, each new film keeps rehashing the same formula, "The Hero Monomyth" Lucas once stole from Joseph Campbell. Luke, Rey, Jyn are all the same interchangeable character living on desolate planets or in captivity waiting for a call to arms. This is the bread and butter of Hollywood storytelling.

The reason the original trilogy was intriguing to me was that it flirted with the possibility of Luke diving into darkness like his father. It was always there brewing beneath the surface. The tension was thick. The pain was real. The outcome was heartfelt.

Now, Disney is simply serving nostalgia to fans from a bygone era hoping it can cash in as much as possible.

Years ago when I heard of this new cinematic universe, I thought I'd see new films about the Sith, about Storm Troopers, about Bounty Hunters, and above all about the people and characters that made The Empire a force to be reckoned with. Instead, I got Campbell's "Hero with a thousands faces" rehashed a few more times, for a fistful of dollars more.

I'm done with this franchise. Call me when someone takes a novel approach to showing the dark side that is so prevalent in this cinematic universe.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

There was Darkness.

Perhaps, start from there.

Richie_Rich and McNultyisDrunk like this.
  13. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Throwing caution to the wind would be great, but there's just too much at $take for the big studios to take giant risks in movies. They really need to get Star Wars on Netflix/streaming/HBO to tell the right stories about the Sith, Stormtroopers, bounty hunters, etc.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The saw Guerrera stuff was painfully bad. Only party I didn't enjoy. Whitaker was just bad and it seemed overly convoluted. It's my understanding that he's going to be a big part of their cartoon going forward and that's probably the only reason he was in the show to begin with.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I saw it yet again over the holidays. It holds up after a third viewing. The heroes, while slightly darker, ARE kind of the same (as Ghettocheesze states), but the movie pays off in a big way: I had fun watching it, even a third time. I did lend a little bit of weight with the very last scene since CF died. The audience cheered.

mikol13 likes this.
  16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Not necessarily. A better cinematic universe would give equal breath, scope, and emotion to both sides of the Force.

Imagine, if the series alternated every other film between both sides. So, Force Awakens is followed by a film on the Empire, what motivates people to join it or to become Stormtroopers?

This would create genuine tension if audiences are invested in both sides of the struggle. Again, How many stories about Rebels and Jedi using the Hero Monomyth can this universe conjure up before it all feels stale?

So, Disney paid billions to the rights to this vast rich universe, yet it insists on creating the same narrowly focused stories about the poor farmer/scavenger/prisoner turned rebel on a journey to save the galaxy with a band of misfits.

It's the same exact movie now made 3 different times. The novelty of which wears off pretty quickly.

17. VanityHalfBlack

I love Rogue One!

MadMax and mikol13 like this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Because they want to Make the Galaxy Great Again.

Didn't you see Snoke wearing the red cap in the first movie? Hologram too hazy for you?

Duh!

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd love to see this too, even if it was via Star Wars Rebels. But this season of Rebels has been a major disappointment after finishing off so strong last season. Pretty much every episode has just been filler and they've managed to turn Darth Maul into what essentially is an English butler. WTF??

This was my main problem with TFA too. I wish they would have just used the Empire itself instead of the First Order. I had no connection with the First Order at all. If it was the remnants of the Empire, why not just call it the Empire?

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Because it wasn't an empire anymore. There is no emperor. It's not in control of anything. The republic returned, and the empire surrendered to it. Calling it an empire when there's a republic wouldn't make sense.