1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

How did the new droid come across? I saw the actor who played him on "Conan". He seems like a very talented guy...especially with voice work.

I plan on seeing this next week. So, the word "force" wasn't mentioned at all in this film. Hard to believe given the force is everywhere. I guess if you don't have the force...then you don't give a f***! ;)

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Oh he's annoying a F but sort of likable by the end..

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Seriously? K-2SO was dope. One of my favorite characters.

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Oh, and The Force is mentioned plenty.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

After some time to think about it, i feel like it's pretty equal to TFA. Won't hold up in time, i think i'll enjoy TFA more in time especially if Ep. 8 and 9 turn out to be great and you look back on TFA with nostalgia as our first introduction to those new characters.

Problems with RO: Boring undeveloped characters. Boring dialogue. The action scenes get boring after a while and by the time the ending scene happens, you don't really care anymore. CGI characters took me out of the movie. Honestly not feeling the location of the final act. Pretty beaches and bright lighting just felt out of place.

I think it will be right behind ROTJ for me as in ROTJ was mostly meh, but the scenes with Luke/Vader/Emperor and the ending are all worth it and much more epic and satisfying and emotional than just the 5 minute ending of RO. Also those speeder scenes were revolutionary at the time. Lucas wasn't lying when he said Disney is just making retro movies and that he tried really hard to make something new every time. That's what TFA and RO are lacking. Nothing new for our imaginations that Lucas always at least tried to give us.

So it's still ESB, ANH, ROTJ, RO/TFA..................ROTS..................................................AOTC/TPM order for me.

I'll check it out again this week because i want to like it more.

7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I think its safe to say you're entitled to your opinion. However, you are definitely in the minority in this.

8. YuleC

YuleC Member

[​IMG]

Deuce and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I have to agree with the part about the CGI recreated characters. I thought it would have been cool if it was only a line or two but I thought it was extremely obvious that that wasn't real and it distracted me. I felt pulled out of the movie for a few minutes. I saw it in IMAX 3D so maybe it was that because I read that most people think it looked good.

Tarkin's mouth and skin texture reminded me of those crappy motion capture movies Polar Express or Beowulf. I couldn't stop comparing his face to Krennic's. I don't think CGI is ready for scenes like that in a movie this big. Also I couldn't ignore the voice being wrong. I would rather they left his character out of the film completely or left him in shadows with minimal lines. I did think Leia's CGI scene was pretty good though, I guess I have a backwards opinion. Maybe I was too pumped from the previous 30 minutes.

I also thought Vader talked way too much in his first scene. His voice didn't have the authority that it did in the old movies and the combination was goofy. I don't remember him talking that much in a conversation in the original trilogy. He made up for it with his final scene though ... damn.

All of the other cameos were pretty good. I especially loved the original footage they used for some of the X-Wing pilots.

All in all it was an AWESOME movie but this bothered me.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Watching it a second time I noticed the CGI characters a bit more, but I was looking for it this time rather than just being in the movie. In all, the movie held up to repeated viewings and was still really good.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I briefly fell asleep in TFA, did not fall asleep in this one, it is better.

DD

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I didn't even notice the cgi. Maybe I would if I was looking at it just so I can complain about something.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

K2 was awesome, as is the actor playing him, Alan Tudyk. He's probably most memorable as Washburn from Firefly.

Force is mentioned plenty, but what's cool is that it comes from a different perspective since there are no Jedi in this.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Tarkin! Vader!

Rocket River

tinman likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The CGI in the last scene wasn't good, hard to debate that.

But the Tarkin CGI was awesome. I can bet if they asked the majority of people who weren't aware the actor was dead, they wouldn't have even realized. It did look a tad "off" at times, but hardly enough to ruin his scenes, much less the whole movie. Film has some valid shortcomings, but I think people calling Tarkin's CGI a major issue is a little ridiculous.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it depends on where you focus your eyes. People who stare directly at the lips when people talk will notice a lot more than those who focus elsewhere.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is weird they cannot do decent motion capture on people's mouths.

I don't buy that someone wouldn't know it was a CG human but I like they are pushing boundaries in big budget movies.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I personally know people that didn't know it was CG. Like I said, if you aren't staring at his lips and you don't know that he died 20 years ago, you could easily not realize that it was a CG character. That said, if you are staring at his lips and you know it is CG and are looking for mistakes, you'll find them.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

These people have never seen star wars before?

Were they on their phone at the time or asleep like DaDakota?

Asking because the mouth jumps out, I wasn't staring. I read that they have a problem with motion capture there later. I like to push the boundaries because I think it makes things like RDJ looking young more possible in other movies.

What did they think happened to the last CG human? Great lighting and quick weight loss?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The last CG human is more obvious, it's someone that more people know. If you aren't a Star Wars fan, you could feasibly not know the first actor.

Also, like I said, not everyone stares at the mouth when people are talking. If you are looking at the eyes or at other characters, you could miss the fact that the lips don't match the words perfectly. I've watched it twice, the second time I looked for the mistakes and I saw them, but I wasn't doing so the first time and I thought it was fine.