1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The major complaint I've seen is that it's not "original"....which is a weird complaint for movie #8 in a shared universe.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You get mostly advantages but some disadvantages with a cinematic universe. If the tone changes you are working against expectations (witty and fun to serious) if you deliver similar movies you get that "not original" complaint.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's pretty much it. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

And critics? Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're trollish. Hell, sometimes an album or film is trashed and the critic later (sometimes much later) comes back saying, "After giving this another try, I liked it." Haven't most of us had that reaction to something or another?

Reviews on this movie have been all over the map. More positive than negative. I stopped reading one of the "this movie didn't exactly put its hand on my thigh" reviews when it mentioned "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" as George Lucas' better "Star Wars" offerings.....not mentioning "A New Hope" and "The Empire Strikes Back".

"Attack of the Clones"?!! "Sand is coarse and it gets all over everything.....But not here. Here things are soft (gulp).....and smooth." Dialogue so embarrassing I actually stared at the tops of my shoes while Hayden Christensen delivered it.

As for this new movie, I'll see for myself on Thursday, I guess.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It gawdamn better be better than the garbage that was The Farce Awakens.

VanityHalfBlack and GRENDEL like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When is it out in the US?

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That won't take much, I've really grown to dislike that movie......2nd viewing just highlighted all the horrible aspects, connect the dot rerun of A New Hope, along with Adam Driver, ugh.....

Thankfully, most of the non spoilery reviews I've glanced at say this is strong stand alone film.....

VanityHalfBlack and RudyTBag like this.
  7. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Just finished watching here in Aus. Movie is amazing, must see. Heaps better than AFA. Won't spoil anything.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i really enjoyed the force awakens upon the first viewing, even with the carbon copy of a new hope. but i agree that it didn't hold up as well in the second and third viewing.

will this one have any force-users battling each other? or a bunch of no-mags blasting each other and a kung fu master with a stick?

RedRedemption likes this.
  9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I can't wait till 2028 when they release the movie set between Rogue One and Episode Four. Rogue One Two: Episode 3.75.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I really enjoy the force awakens even with multiple viewings. If it's as good as that I'll be pumped.

Uprising likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

WOULD IT HAVE BEEN SO HARD FOR THEM TO PLEASE GO IN ORDER???

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The Phantom Menace > The Force Awakens PURELY for Liam Neeson. I can't think of any redeeming factors of Indiana Jones: Kingdom of Crystal Sk, errrrrrr, I mean The Force Awakens. But to each his own. :)

They should have made one of these for Disney Star Wars.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I enjoyed the force awakens.

Uprising likes this.
  14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Me too. I get that it was basically a remake in terms of the majority of the story line. But I enjoyed it, it was a fun ride. I stayed far away from any info on the movie so I went into it not knowing anything but the fact that Harrison Ford was back in it.

Based off the initial feeling I had on this one, I didn't think it'd be that great....my fiancé is a little against it, only wanting to watch the other one's story line. But with the great reviews, can't wait to see it.

Now the only question is....do I watch it next week @ the Palladium.....or wait till I get to Dubai the following week....

mikol13 and RedRedemption like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I can't figure out if you eat paint or just have poor taste. Could be both?

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Liam Neeson by himself is FAR greater than anything in The Force Awakens, which is EASILY the second-third worst Star Wars film.

Name me one aspect of The Force Awakens better than the Darth Maul/Liam Neeson/Ewan McGregor showdown?

(You can't)

THe Phantom Menace is pretty doo-doo too, but The Force Awakens is simply worse. :)

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Randy owns Buck...

18. Buck Turgidson

Oh I member. Never said it was great, but it was sure as hell not as bad as the jarjar bullsh!t. And yes, Liam Neeson was a ****ing joke in that movie, just going through the motions (kind of like Harrison Ford in the last one).

But it's cool, you are allowed to be wrong.

Uprising and Nook like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No Jar Jar.

Bonus: No Jake Lloyd

= Force Awakens is a pleasant though unoriginal sequel

20. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Just saw it. Took a while to get in to it, but once it really gets started (and the locations stop changing every few minutes), it turns out to be an enjoyable movie.

It was weird seeing Darth Vader making a joke (the choke scene, can't remember the actual line). I didn't really care for it.
    Loved how close it was to Episode 4, definitely gave me a feeling of connection between the prequels and OT.