1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

depends tho. is the azn character of tibetan origin?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Donny Yen is from Hong Kong China, then Jiang Wen from Mainland, and there is also Riz Ahmed is British Pakistani ('The Night Of' HBO mini series).

#402 daywalker02, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hmn. Interesting take. Never considered the possibility. :cool:

But seriously, these movies that feature Asian stars or locations make beaucoup dollar there. The XMen film from 2014 had Fan Bingbing (yes, that's her name) in a relatively minor role but saw major box office in China as a result. "Transformers" set one of their movies in Shanghai and cleaned up the $$$.

It's great marketing. And why not do it? Keep these films from being American- or white-centric. In any case, some early word is that Donnie Wen (the blind "Force monk" type dude from the trailers) is a great character.

Compare all that to the Trade Federation dudes in Episode I "The Phantom Jerkoffs" whose halting English and lips-not-quite-moving-to-their-spoken-words evoked images of badly dubbed kung fu films. Almost as offensive as "me-sa Jah-Jah Binks". I am sooooooooooooo glad George Lucas was paid off.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No spoilers...here's Wil Wheaton's review:

http://wilwheaton.net/2016/12/the-l...vie-as-much-as-i-loved-rogue-one-it-was-1977/

I wanted to take today off from the blog, but that would be counter to the goals I set out in Daily December, so here I am.

Anne and I went to the world premiere of Rogue One last night, because we apparently live in a world where we get invited to the world premiere of a Star Wars movie, which I still can’t believe actually happened.

I wanted to experience a Star Wars movie the way I did when I was a kid, so I deliberately avoided everything about this movie. All I knew was that it was a stand alone story that involved the plans for the Death Star that were such an important part of Star Wars. I didn’t even know that one of my friends was in the freaking thing!

I’m not going to discuss the film in depth, because that would be cheating, so I’m just going to repeat the title of this post, which is what I said on Twitter last night: The last time I loved a Star Wars movie as much as I loved #RogueOne[​IMG], it was 1977.

Yes, I know that Empire came out in 1980. I chose my words carefully, and deliberately.

I’ll say a little more on the other side of the jump, so those of you who want to avoid hearing a little more until you’ve seen the movie can do that.

I didn’t expect to like Force Awakens as much as I did. In fact, after the prequels (which I hated so much I wanted to Men In Black my memory of the one and a half that I saw), I felt like maybe Star Wars had moved on from something I was going to love and want in my life. And, honestly, that was okay. I’ll always have my original trilogy, my despecialized editions, and the memories of playing with Star Wars figures, playing Star Wars games, building Star Wars LEGO, and all of that stuff that was such an important part of my childhood.

So I didn’t even try to see Force Awakens until it had been in theaters for like 8 or 9 weeks. I also went into it knowing as little as I could, and I ended up really liking it. I’d probably give it 4 out of 5 lightsabers, and I recall thinking that it was what I’d hoped the prequels would have been.

I give you that background so this comes in context: I give Rogue One 5 out of 5 lightsabers, and a 99%. It would get 100% if not for a single (very small) thing that I understand was put into the film on a reshoot. I don’t need to see Force Awakens again, but I will go see Rogue One as many times as I can before it is out of theaters, and the day I can buy it to add to my collection, I’ll be in line to make that happen.

I’m going to quote Hardwick’s Instagram from last night:

Rogue One is a STUNNING film. I cannot recommend it enough. It’s dark, beautiful and satisfying. If you didn’t know Star Wars you’d love it, and knowing it makes it that much better. The references to things you recognize aren’t just member berries, they are justified and strengthen the story. Gareth Edwards has created an absolute gem in the Star Wars universe that will blow your brain out of your head. By the time the end credits hit, the theater was SCREAMING with unbridled excitement. See it as soon as you can before anything gets spoiled!!!

The most important part of that, I think, is “if you didn’t know Star Wars you’d love it, and knowing it makes it that much better.”

I want to add a couple thoughts to Chris’s: Rogue One is not just a great Star Wars movie, it’s a great movie. If Star Wars were being made for the first time, right now, in 2016, Rogue One is the movie they would make. It isn’t just that Gareth Edwards put together an amazing cast and shot this film in exactly the right way. The visual effects team will win every award possible, and they will deserve it. There are things done in this movie with visual effects that fundamentally change the rules of filmmaking. The script is brilliant. Gary Witta’s story is relatable on so many different levels, and it is beautifully told.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm shocked I'm about to say this....

But thank you Disney!!!!

I'm so excited!!!!

jev5555, mikol13 and MadMax like this.
  6. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Despite the reshoots, seems like they kept the movie as is - a dark, gritty war movie. I hope the movie does well so more Star Wars movies can have that same tone - dark and intense.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

So happy it is getting good reviews thus far but not gonna go in expecting it to be better than Empire. Don't want to be disappointed.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just hoping that it is better than the prequel trilogy. So long as it is at least that good, I'm fine with it. If it manages to be on par with Empire, then that's amazing, but it's not needed to be a success.

Blake likes this.
  9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Is this worth watching in 3D?

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Please don't support 3D. Let it die already. You live your entire life in 3D. You are seeing in 3D right now.

11. VanityHalfBlack

Just think of all the movies you've seen in a theater that's not as good as Empire. That should be your expectation going into this one. I'm just glad there's a star wars movie released in rapid succession. More action!!

12. VanityHalfBlack

Just hoping it be better than Force Awakens. Not going to compare it to the original trilogy. I'm gonna compare it to calendar year wise. I enjoy Gareth Films more than I have Abrahams films. And that is no knock on Force Awakens. I love Ridley.

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Will we get an Episode 8 trailer with this one?

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

84% so far on RT.

15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sad, but I share your sentiment. However, I got dragged into a group that is watching the movie on friday. I found out we are watching it in 3d.

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They save those for SW Celebration in March.

17. ROXTXIA

I've seen the "green splat" tomato reviews and they tend to be from "grandma's basement" websites/critics. For the most part. Not that their opinions don't matter. But sometimes I read a review and I'm like, "Hunh? Okay, that isn't gonna bother me."

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

74% from top critics. scanning the reviews the main problem they seem to have is not as fun as they apparently expected.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Go see this movie...it's not fun! DOH!

20. ROXTXIA

Wow. Poor babies. "Not fun"? Maybe they should tee up.some Jar Jar.

The wife and I will be there to see it 7:00 this Thursday night. Yessss!