1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars fan theory that would make the prequels worth watching....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Jan 18, 2010.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm still holding out hope for episodes 7, 8 and 9Neven though there are parts of 12&3 that need the fast forward to get through

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Most horrible "blockbusters" ever. Pure, unmitigated trash.

And no amount of desperate flailing from distraught nerds will ever change that.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I've thought of this a few times in the past but...

Pretend as if the original three movies back in the day never happened, but the more recent trilogy were released in the same years and made exactly as they are now. Now, before the '98, we had no prior knowledge of ANYTHING to do with Star Wars. We never heard of it.

Would these "prequel" movies be heralded as great or still disappointments? Would the Star Wars series and brand still have the huge fandom following it or would it just be another action series soon to be largely forgotten?

I actually think they would be HUGE hits and be largely more widely accepted and loved by the masses. I just think many wouldn't go into them with a critical eye or pre-conceived notion. They had A LOT to live up to with the previous movies. Now, I do believe though that the following for it wouldn't be anywhere as close. I just think it was a different day and age back when the originals came out with the media/entertainment landscape nowhere as fleshed out. I think the special effects back then blew people away probably just as mush as the story and characters. But, regarding my hypothetical question above, I believe the last three would be HUGE and even more loved by MANY more people.

I just read and hear so much about how bad the prequels were that I find it interesting to think what if they were approached at a different angle.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

are you referring to all 6 or just the prequels?

cause i'm one of the few people in the world who don't really enjoy any of them. i guess episodes 4 and 5 are ok, but the rest are terrible.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt they survive beyond The Phanton Menace. Its got some decent action but its plot comes off as contrived, incredibly wooden acting and not to forget the controversy over the Jar Jar Binks and trade federation stereotypes. Episodes II and III were much better but Episode I, without the success of Star Wars behind it probably means that studios won't be willing to put out the money to make Episodes II and III.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will admit the article held my inner nerd interest but like the Episode I it too feels forced to try to make the disparate parts work. There just seems to be too many convenient coincindences and while maybe its the Force at work that is too much of a Deus Ex Machina in my opinion to make it hold together.

Those criticisms given it wouldn't surprise me if having R2D2 and Chewbacca as secret agents was Lucas' idea but I don't think that makes it better but just another way for Lucas to try to duct tape together the disparate plot points so he can get his favorite characters into all parts of the story arc.

While I think the overall idea of the Star Wars story arc is very good, a civilization turning from a democracy to an empire and then the fall of the empire mirrored in the rise, turn and eventually fall of a man, he leaves a lot to be desired in the details and execution.

7. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

They prequels sucked but it wouldn't have taken major changes to make them pretty good. It's just a lot of little things that make them suck. I have watched fan edits of all the prequels and you would be surprised what some good editing can do. Hardcore SW fans will tolerate the prequels becuase we kind of see what that could have been. It's like loving a special needs family member.

The novelization of Sith is a decent read.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

How is it different from the movie?

9. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

That's absolutely terrible. :mad:

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This thread reminds me of the Robot Chicken Star Wars episode where Darth Vader explains to Luke that he built C3-PO, the Force is mitochondria and etc...

11. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

No bad acting/editing/annoying characters to overlook - and a more insight to the thoughts on Anakin.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The first parts are a given but what type of insight compared to the movie?

13. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_III:_Revenge_of_the_Sith_(novel)

"There is also heavy use of metaphor as a means of foreshadowing; for example, Anakin's eventual fall from grace is set up by descriptions of his fear as a dragon, one he thinks he can conquer by embracing the dark side of the Force. Also, the narration makes far greater use of events in the previous films to describe him as a character, particularly his childhood as a slave."

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I was referring to the prequels. I enjoyed 4-6, but even they seem a bit tacky now as I get older. The best is obviously 5, which (not coincidentally) was the one with the least involvement from Mr. Horrible Dialogue and Character Development, George Lucas.

15. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Yoda was a pot head.

16. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

When you are isolated from the world for 20 years, you'd want some as well

17. Castro

Castro Member

I can't believe this reached 2 pages. Anyway, i read it and i am a huge Star Wars fan, but there wasn't anything that interesting in this.

You can try and tie things together in most trilogies.

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Wonderful insight. Thanks.

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think they should have let this guy write episodes 1-3.

20. Castro

Castro Member

no problem sweet cakes.