1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star-Tribune: Ndudi Ebi signs with T-wolves

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Faos, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/3973173.html

Wolves introduce top draft picks
    Michael Martinez, Star Tribune

For a golden-haired kid from Duluth and a teenager from Nigeria, Rick Rickert and Ndudi Ebi have more in common than one would think.

The Timberwolves' two rookie draft picks, who were formally introduced Saturday at a news conference at Target Center, both passed on college degrees for professional careers. At 195 and 215 pounds, they both fall well short of the optimum size for an NBA forward. But now that they've taken the plunge, Rickert and Ebi will have to get on the court and legitimize their places in the league.

Unfortunately, for Rickert, that might be where their common ground ends.

Ebi, a 6-9 forward from Westbury Christian High School in Houston who ditched his plans to attend Arizona to enter the draft, said he has signed a three-year contract with the Timberwolves on Saturday. Rickert will battle through the summer and early fall for a place on the team.

[​IMG]
    Ndudi Ebi poses with Kevin McHale, left, and Glen Taylor.

Richard Tsong-taatarii
    Star Tribune

With the stability of a freshly signed contract, Ebi seemed confident he could prove himself on the floor.

"I'm going to let my game just go wherever it takes me," he said.

Ebi was selected with the 26th pick in the first round, and is the first high schooler the Timberwolves have drafted since Kevin Garnett in 1995. Although he is only 19 years old, Ebi turned heads at the McDonald's All America Game, the Jordan Capital Classic and pre-draft workouts in Chicago and Houston

Timberwolves Vice President Kevin McHale acknowledged that Ebi is a work in progress, but said that he is encouraged by his work ethic and potential.

"It's a project business," McHale said. "That's what the NBA is."

He added, "I don't see him failing."

Wolves coach Flip Saunders said Ebi is a natural small forward, but that he will be used according to the pace of his development. He added that Ebi's playing time will be dictated by his effectiveness.

"We're not in a situation where we're just going to give guys playing time," Saunders said."You earn your time."

Rickert, who was widely criticized when he declared himself eligible for the draft after only two seasons at Minnesota, faces an uphill battle to make the team, let alone get minutes.

But despite plummeting to the 55th pick, Rickert said he is determined to prove himself in the NBA.

"It's not about what other people think," he said. "It's about what's in my heart. This is what I thought was right."

McHale said he was satisfied with the determination Rickert has shown to improve in workouts, but added that it will take consistent effort and performance for him to make the team.

Saunders also noted the importance for Rickert to use the rest of the summer to improve his skills and athleticism.

"The difference now is that he's gonna have to guard people out on the floor and not guard people as much inside," Saunders said. "That's always an adjustment all big players have."

Rickert said he is willing to make the effort at the gym to become the player he needs to be. He said he already added 10 pounds to his frame.

"I'm going to be living here in the summertime," he said.

Rickert and Ebi will have their first chance to test their skills this week at the Timberwolves' three-day minicamp for this week's Pepsi Pro Summer League in Orlando. The league will run from July 8-12.