1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Tribune.com ] Rockets and Wolves will observe each others workouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, May 27, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Wolves: Evaluations, negotiations take place at camp

The Wolves will join executives from all the NBA teams in Florida to check out the best of this year's draft class.

By JERRY ZGODA, Star Tribune

Last update: May 27, 2008 - 12:21 AM

The Timberwolves' countdown to draft night -- 30 days and ticking -- continues today, when the NBA opens its annual predraft camp in Orlando.

The Wolves' entire scouting staff, plus coach Randy Wittman and perhaps assistant coach Jerry Sichting, will attend practice sessions and games for three days in what is the NBA's version of the NFL scouting combine.

None of the players the Wolves will consider selecting with their third overall pick in the June 26 draft is expected to participate in the daily games. Instead, such prospects as USC's O.J. Mayo, Stanford's Brook Lopez, Arizona's Jerryd Bayless, UCLA's Kevin Love and projected top picks Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley are expected to be measured and tested during individual drills.

"It's all a piece of the puzzle," Wolves General Manager Jim Stack said.

The Wolves can bring players to Target Center for workouts and interviews after the predraft camp ends this weekend. Stack said the team will bring between eight and 10 players to town, opting for "overkill" instead of risking being unprepared.

A Houston Rockets representative will attend those workouts in exchange for allowing a Wolves scout to observe player workouts in Houston. The Rockets pick 25th and will audition a collection of players the Wolves will consider for their two second-round draft picks, selections 31st and 34th overall.

With Beasley and Rose expected to become the first two players chosen, the Wolves' third pick will determine how the rest of the draft plays out. The Wolves will evaluate that list of eight to 10 players for their first-round choice in case they trade down in the draft to get a targeted player plus either players or extra draft picks.

Miami President Pat Riley already has suggested he will dangle the second overall pick because of the "leverage" it provides.

"Put a little bait in the water and see who nibbles at it," said Stack of negotiations between teams that are expected to intensify with executives from all 30 teams in the same gym this week. "Usually, you have to overpay to get something like that [a No. 1 or No. 2 overall pick]. I don't think you put Al Jefferson in play to move up a spot.

"We could decide to move back in the draft if somebody knocks our socks off with an offer. Any time you're coming off a year like we are, you look at all your options. We'll explore all options. You don't know about something until you ask."

---
    I can see why Minny would do this as they are six picks after us. The question is what trick does Darryl Morey have up his sleeve this time. Are we planning to buy another 2nd round pick although this draft is not as deep as last year. Or are we trying to move into lottery territory? Only time will tell...

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe this was part of the Snyder/Green deal. Kind of like Dennis Lindsey going to the Spurs was part of the Scola deal. Or was it? Eh eh? Hmm....

3. Houkom

Houkom Member

Bobby Jackson back to Minnesota???

Would he be in a package for a draft exchange?

Good way to end his career ...

I'll keep on dreaming...

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Interesting. I understand the benefit for the Wolves, but how do the Rockets benefit from this? (Unless they are trying to trade up.)

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It's clear that Morey is doing his homework in case they can get a deal to move up. The wolves are bringing in 8-10 people, which means that Morey is likely targeting a mid-teen pick and guys that might fall there. It's not really news yet. He's just covering all the bases. He's tried to trade up the past two years but hasn't been able to get it done, so we'll see how it works out this year.

#5 m_cable, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  6. jsmee2000

This is not true because the wolves are choosing third. Therefore, eight to 10 people would correspond to guys that could be picked between third all the way through 11th (or 13th if 10 ppl are chosen to attend the Wolves workout). And that is assuming that all of those are for their first picks.

The previous radio reports which was posted by Clutch here stated that the Rockets could move up into the teens (13 to 19) in the draft. Although I agree that at this point most GMs are trying to move up...it is still quite interesting that most of the people attending the Minny workout will probably fall before the teens. Obviously, the other scenario would be buying a 2nd round pick and we want to evaluate those people.

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Rockets and Wolves=best buddies for life.

The kind that give each other sh** all the time and can still look each other square in the eye and say, "hey, I like you."

We sent them Juwan.

They sent us Mike James.

Hey, we still like them!

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Bobby Jackson, Luther Head and Novak for the #3 pick?

Make it happen Morey!! :D

Somebody had to say it.

9. poprocks

poprocks Member

Is this the loophole to get around the big predraft camp regulations?

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You are assuming that the 8-10 players brought in to work out for Minnesota ALL go with picks 3 through 11 (or 13). Rarely does each NBA team rate the top 20 players in a draft exactly the same way. It could be that a handful of the players brought in might fall to even the late teens. Heck, we've seen a lot of guys projected as mid-lottery picks fall all the way down to the end (or even OUT) of the first round.

This news is encouraging and only reinforces the belief that the Rockets will once again try hard to move up in the draft.

11. jsmee2000

You must have misunderstood my comment. In that statement I mildly suggested that the out of the 10 prospects attending not all be for the third pick that Minnesota will make. Although highly unlikely, lets assume that five are for the the third pick while five are for the 2nd round picks. There is a good chance that five out of the 10 prospects that will be evaluated by Minny for the 3rd pick will be gone before the teens. So my question in terms of the Rockets is...under these assumptions what are we there to evaluate the top five or the next five guys. Since Minny have two second round picks I wouldn't be surprised if we buy one of them (end of story). However, one can't hope to think what if Darryl does some magic and trade up into the single digits...

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Where have I heard that before?

"Show me yours and I'll show you mine."