1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stan Van Gundy agrees with his brother Heat will be great (mention of Wade as Pippen)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Arnel, Aug 20, 2010.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Because he cares more about winning a championship than being THE MAN. Is that within the realm of possibility in your mind?

I don't blame LeBron for leaving Cleveland at all. He had a buffoon for a coach and teammates like Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison that choked like dogs in the playoffs. It was clearly time for a change.

Now, the jerky way he made the change known is another story.

2. Arnel

Arnel Member

The reason Cleveland was the best regular season team (2 years in a row) was because of LeBron James!! LOL Make no mistake about it. That team does not make the playoffs without James. That's how GOOD James is! That's the whole point. He did NOT have a great team. All the analysts even talked about this all the time. They would say things like "James absolutely HAS to have a great game EVERY DAY in order for Cleveland to win. However, James is so good, that we KNOW he will do exactly that, have a great game every single day." LOL I'm sure you've heard that before, but everyone, including the "experts" agreed that in order for that Cleveland team to win any games, James absolutely has to play GREAT. And this is the team that had the best record 2 years straight. LOL uhhh, because James played GREAT, hence the MVPs. I mean yeah, they had great chemistry as well, not trying to take that away from them, but this is NOT an elite team at all. There is no way you can tell ANYONE that James does not want the pressure of being THE MAN! LOL, that's simply crazy talk. This guy has spent most of his life as THE MAN, that's all he knows!! And he's quite good at it. The last 7 years, he was beloved by everyone for the most part. He was that well liked superstar who still seemed humble, even being so darn great (obviously "the decision" did not help his cause here LOL). But he absolutely WANTS to be THE MAN, like I said, it's all he knows. He also wants to win, and he felt that playing with better teammates in Miami might provide him this opportunity. He is not going there to hide behind Bosh and Wade, he is going there to WIN, TOGETHER, with them. But he WILL be the best player on that team, and he feels no pressure, common, he WANTS to be in the media.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

This who thing that there has to be a single "The Man"on a team I guess is a product of American culture and egotism. It is a misconception.

Did there have to be a single The Man among Aikmen, Smith and Irvin?

Did there have to be a single The Man among Villa, Iniesta and Xavi?

Did their have to be a single The Man on Dream team 1?

Did their have to be a single The Man when Magic 1st joined Kareem?

Did their have to be a single The Man when Wilt joined West?

Did their have to be a single The Man when Moses joined Dr. J?

Did their have to be a single The Man when Kobe became a 1st team NBA player next to Shaq (according the KBBL's they were near equals)?

As long as great players compliment each other and are not total egotistical asshats, it works. I can't see much in the way Lebron and Wade play, as they make plays for other teammates as much as they try to score, that makes me think it won't work. One of them doesn't have to be a pure sidekick. I expect Lebron to get the regular season MVPs, each to probably get playoff MVPs at different times, and they will be fine with it. Magic and Bird didn't get all the playoff MVPs either--they recognized team success was most important to them, and everything about Wade/Lebron/Bosh's moves, including taking less salary, points to them wanting team goals 1st.

4. albuster

albuster Member

You have too many unsubstantiated claims against Jordan and Pippen, could you provide some proof? Wade and James better than Jordan and Pippen offensively? Grant Hill better than Pippen? When did that happen? Maybe you could just stop your innuendos and provide some proofs re all your claims.

5. Arnel

Arnel Member

Ha ha. OK, let me answer a few of your questions:

"You have too many unsubstantiated claims against Jordan and Pippen."

Not true. I've said numerous times that I think Jordan is GOAT. I have not said one negative thing about Jordan, if I did, point it out. As far as Pippen goes, I listed names of 2 guys who used to torch him on a regular basis, that are not as good as LeBron James. The reason I did that is because the poster that I am conversing with claims that this Heat team would get "run out of the building" by those bulls, which I take it to mean they would get blown out. I highly disagree with that and stated my reasons. That's all. I even said that I'm not even saying the heat will win LOL. All I'm saying is, they would not get "run out of the building". They may lose, but they wouldn't get absolutely killed. LOL, I'm not arguing too much there, am I??

"Wade and James better than Jordan and Pippen offensively? "

Yes, as a couple! LOL. I am not saying that either one of those guys is better than Jordan, just to clear that up. Let me repeat for the 100th time, Jordan was GOAT. Jordan is a better scorer than either James or Wade, lol, certainly. However, both Wade and LeBron are MUCH better scorers than Scottie could ever be. Hence, as a couple, LeBron and Wade are better. Feel free to add up the stats versus Mike and Pip. And yes I know, those stats may change once they play together, but how much will they change, we shall see.... Fair enough?

"Grant Hill better than Pippen? When did that happen? "

LOL ok once again, you go find where I said that Hill was better than Pippen. Go ahead and find it. LOL you won't, because I did NOT say it. I said that Grant Hill used to torch Scottie when they played against each other. I'm an NBA fanatic, I've seen tons of games, and anytime I watched those detroit - bulls games, Pippen couldn't hang with Hill, that's all I said. So I did not say that Hill is better, BUT you know what,, it's not too far off. Honestly, a prime Grant Hill was damn close to Pippen. Do you remember how good he was???? Seriously, is it that bad to even compare Grant and Pippen?? Just curious, how old are you???? I'm just making sure I'm talking to someone who has seen Hill play near his prime (like,,, when he used to torch Pippen lol) I'm not trying to make fun at all and for all I know you maybe even older than I am. But yeah, I don't think you'll find too many people who will say that Pippen was THAT much better than Grant Hill in his prime. (Feel free to look at their stats as well, not too far off AT ALL, Grant did a few things better and Pip did a couple of things better, but overall, not too different)

Grant Hill:

Year Team GMs MPG FG% FT% 3PT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
    95-96 DET 80 40.8 46.2 75.1 19.2 9.8 6.8 1.3 0.6 20.2
    96-97 DET 80 39.3 49.6 71.1 30.3 9.0 7.3 1.8 0.6 21.4
    97-98 DET 81 40.7 45.2 74.0 14.3 7.7 6.8 1.8 0.7 21.1
    98-99 DET 50 37.0 47.9 75.2 0.0 7.1 6.0 1.6 0.5 21.1
    99-00 DET 74 37.5 49.0 79.5 34.7 6.6 5.2 1.4 0.6 25.8

Pippen:

91-92 CHI 82 38.6 50.5 76.0 20.0 7.7 7.0 1.9 1.1 21.0
    92-93 CHI 81 38.6 47.3 66.3 23.7 7.7 6.3 2.1 0.9 18.6
    93-94 CHI 72 38.3 49.1 66.0 32.0 8.7 5.6 2.9 0.8 22.0
    94-95 CHI 79 38.1 48.0 71.6 34.5 8.1 5.2 2.9 1.1 21.4
    94-95 CHI 79 38.1 48.0 71.6 34.5 8.1 5.2 2.9 1.1 21.4

Anyhow, let me know if I can try to explain anything else. But once again, I'm not saying anything negative about MJ and Pip. ALL I"M SAYING is that the current Heat team would not get killed by them, and even have a wager than unless the Heat win 70 games or more, I'm putting money in the tip jar. So I have my money where my mouth is :).

6. albuster

albuster Member

The only proof you showed through the stats is that Hill is not even close to Pippen. Pip had much better all around stats as a secondary option to Jordan, as Hill who was the primary player with the Pistons. And, by the way, James and Wade have not yet played a single NBA game (other than the all stars/olymics which do not count in our discussion) together so they cannot possibly be better scorers than Jordan and Pippen. This is what I am talking about.

Once again, so much "talk" with no substance to back up your claims. I won't go back and forth with this topic but it would be better for you if you learn to back up your fantastic claims with facts. And better yet, premise your arguments with the statement that your posts are just your opinion. Then, everything will turn out ok.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Albuster, Pippen stats (playoff & regular season) are infinitely closer to a healthy, in his prime, Grant Hill than to Lebron James. In fact James stats (PER, cumulative figures, etc) one might argue are closer to Jordan's than they are to Pippen's/Grant's.

Just look at playoff scoring averages among (listed alphabetically) James, Jordan, Pippen & Wade. They are (from highest to lowest) 33.4, 29.3, 25.7 & 16.1 Guess which number looks from a different planet and belongs to Pippen? Further, they all look real good at their positions for assists, boards, steals, blocks, etc--we are not talking anyone standing out from another in another respect to anywhere near close the distance in their scoring ability (say had we put Magic Johnson's more pedestrian 20PPG average out there without the cavout of his assist numbers)

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

The shot chart for the 2009/2010 season points to Bron being the better mid range shooter for that year.

Of course now that people are wrong they have to come up with excuses.

9. albuster

albuster Member

But they haven't played together for the Heat yet, right? That is the point. Let's see how they put up numbers together, but, until then, they cannot be compared to anyone, as a tandem, yet, right?

10. Arnel

Arnel Member

hahahhah ok,, here it is,, IN MY OPINION, you are an idiot :). Those stats are not similar?? LOL what the hell are you looking at? LOL how old are you? By the way, Pippen played a year and a half WITHOUT Jordan, and as you can see, those stats were not a whole lot different. So yes, some of those stats were also of Pippen "as a primary player." :). Common now.

Also, please learn to read. "Feel free to add up the stats versus Mike and Pip. And yes I know, those stats may change once they play together, but how much will they change, we shall see.... Fair enough?"
    Right there, I ACKNOWLEDGED that they have not played together, and said that we shall wait and see how their stats look together, and said "fair enough"? LOL And you still come back with that stupid argument, even after I said that... So please read, as I already acknowledged that fact. I honestly don't think you have seen a prime Grant Hill play, so you're obviously a youngster. Because ANYONE who has seen a prime Grant Hill (even Pippen fans), KNOWS that prime Hill was not THAT much worse/ if at all , than Scottie. I honestly don't know what you were looking at..... :rolleyes: