1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stan Van Gundy agrees with his brother Heat will be great (mention of Wade as Pippen)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Arnel, Aug 20, 2010.

1. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

according to Riley, James is Magic, Wade is Kobe, Bosh is KG.... :grin:

2. anchel

anchel Member

He's trying to put pressure over the Heat? Otherwise, seems incredible that a professional coach does such statements.

3. Arnel

Arnel Member

Part of it might be putting pressure on the Heat. Another part of it is certainly trying to stick up for his brother.

4. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

If Wade didn't play Pippen role last season, he won't be Pippen this season either.

Moore: With the new Heat coming together, you've got more weapons, obviously, but there are going to be questions about how it's all going to work on the court. Do you see yourself handling the ball more coming up the floor more, less or the same as in years before? Are you going to be playing more of a point-type position, or will it be business as usual in Miami?

Wade: The same pretty much. You know, I handled the ball a lot last season in Miami. I also played off the ball a lot. I don't think that changes a lot. I'm a playmaker, and I'm going to score. At the end of the day, my job is to put the ball in the basket. I'm also going to create opportunities for my teammates, and that won't change.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

LBJ certainly didn't play the Pippen role last year, why the hell should he be Pippen?

IMHO its ridiculous to assume that just because a guy goes to another man's team he'll be the sidekick. Talent determines who is the main man and who is the sidekick. And you are definitely on crack if you think Wade is more talented than LBJ.

6. Arnel

Arnel Member

This. Agreed. Plus, of course Wade is going to answer in that fashion. That doesn't mean anything. What did we expect Wade to say? His answer, if you look at it closely, is not saying much at all. "uhh yeah, I'll still handle the ball a lot, and uhh yeah I'll also play off the ball a lot too. Uhh yeah, things won't change much, I'm a scorer." LOL well duhh, he didn't really tell us all of his deepest secrets there. That was about as cliche of an answer as you can get.

7. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member

lebron the side kick get the f out of here

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Seems like SVG discusses other teams' players more than all other NBA coaches combined. When SVG opens his mouth, my eyes do this: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

His act is tired.

9. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

LeBron is the sidekick. Wade is the clear Jordan, look at his game. He has a real jumpshot, a go to move. So Lebron is a more talented Pippen....and Bosh a more talented Ho Grant. The Heat are loaded and poised for a championship.

10. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Since we're comparing this team to that 72 win Bulls team, I'm going to come out and say that it's simply not going to happen. I have not ever seen another player like Rodman since. The guy was D'ing up Shaq when he was young, was quick, and had over 30 rebounds in a game on more than one occasion. The Rupaul of big men is a very good player, but he couldn't dream of bringing that kind of toughness. The pressure that Pippen and Jordan put on ball handlers also can't be duplicated by any player that I've seen in the NBA today; that's how they negated so many post players. If those loaded Celtics teams, Faker teams, and countless other mega-talented teams couldn't achieve it, why would this Head team do it? Sure the league is weaker, but they don't have the defense to do it. The Bulls were always a great defensive team, and they were always a team that was greater than the sum of their parts. Those teams would run this Heat team right out of the building; like they did to countless other talented teams before. Neither Wade or James are Pippen on defense, Mike Miller sucks on defense, and Rupaul is soft, he's not on Rodman's level by any stretch in the areas where it counts. That being said, I do expect this Heat team to win it all this year.

#30 jevjnd, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

stan van gundy should just trade dwight howard to them and call it a day.

trade for rafer alston, moochie norris, or matt maloney and your starting 5

pg alston or/moochie or /maloney
    sg wade
    sf lebron
    pf bosh
    c howard

there you go.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Glad to hear from someone else who remembers the Bulls teams as more than just MJ isoing on offense. Their defense is what made them elite. But let's not exaggerate and be ridiculous. To say they would run this Heat team out of the building without even seeing the Heat in action is crazy. Let's wait and see. Also, both Wade and LeBron can play defense every bit as good as Pippen, they just haven't done so on a consistent basis. Both guys are incredibly disruptive when they put their minds to it. Since neither will be 75% of the offense of the Heat, I'm curious to see if they put up consistent energy on defense. If so, the Heat's perimeter defense will be dominating and fun to watch.

13. jevjnd

Well played, but I still don't see Bosh being enough of a beast at power forward to take this team to that level. That team's offense also flowed beautifully. We'll see if these guys don't iso. I'm going to come out and say that no player guard on this team could create mismatches the way Jordan could with his post game though. It was crazy; I've never seen another guard play the post the way Jordan did.

14. Arnel

Arnel Member

Exactly, they are both very good defenders when they focus on it. The talent is there. Pippen made defense a priority, so he is known for it. But I do remember when he came to the Rockets, and got absolutely torched by Kobe Bryant in that playoff series we lost to LA. I know he was past his prime then though, but was only a year out of his last championship. I still remember how excited I was when we picked up Pippen. I was certain he would put us over the top. It just didn't work out. I had a Rockets jacked I was rockin' at high school and was making bets with so many people that Rockets would win it all that year lol. I was a Junior in high school, and they were all $5 bets. Boy, 100+ dollars later next year, I was not a happy camper :)

Anyhow, Bulls were a great team and a great defensive team, but no way they run this Heat team out of the building. Let's wait and see what happens..

15. jevjnd

Come on now . The guy was 33 years old with two rookies, albeit good ones, and Barkley playing defense with him instead of Rodman and Jordan. The Rockets never played that brand of defense anyway; their defense was predicated on funneling things to Hakeem, which wasn't what it had been in the past at that point anyway. I do concede that we need that we need to see the finished product, but I totally think that that team could run this one out of the building. They ran a Shaq and Penny magic team out of the building once they got Rodman and Jordan had returned to form, and that team was probably as talented as this Heat team.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lol @ people saying that Wade jumpshot is better than LeBron's.

How about you go check out last year's hot shot chart to see the cold and hot spots which also shows the percentages from each spot. LeBron had the higher percentage in every spot except for one spot on the floor and guess what it was around the rim not jumpshots.

For jumpshots LeBron shot a better percentage than Wade in every single spot.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lebron is a better 3pt shooter. he's a more efficient scorer. he scores more, rebounds more, passes better, defends better...

name one thing wade does better than james. the only thing people have come up with is: IT'S HIS TEAM. HE WON A RING SO IT'S HIS TEAM. lol.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Lebron left a 60+ win (two years in a row) team that was a favorite to win it all where he was THE MAN. Of course he is the sidekick in Miami. That is how he wants it.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Isn't that the most important thing considering the other guy's team was the favorite in many experts' minds to win it all yet he failed two years in a row?

One guy has a history of overachieving. The other guy has a history of underachieving. There's a reason the underachiever jumped ship to join the overachiever.

1 person likes this.
  20. jevjnd

They might be the two best players in the league now. I honestly don't think it matters who "the man" is.

#40 jevjnd, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010