1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ST Pete Times] D Rays possibly interestd in Lidge

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Apr 11, 2007.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/11/Rays/As_Maddon_institutes_.shtml
    ARLINGTON, Texas - The Rays will try, for now, to improve their bullpen by using the relievers they have in different roles, with journeyman Gary Glover and rookie Jae Kuk Ryu next in line for more important late-inning work.

Should they decide to look outside for help, deposed Houston closer Brad Lidge could be an interesting option if the Astros make him available.

Manager Joe Maddon insisted he wasn't demoting struggling RHPs Shawn Camp and Ruddy Lugo, who have a combined 18.71 ERA and allowed 19 of 32 batters faced to reach base, but merely giving others a try.

"This is an area we have to get better at; it's a big part of us doing well," Maddon said. "I'm willing to experiment a little bit, and I will. But it's not for a lack of faith in anybody as much as I want to give other guys a look in those situations."

Glover, 30, has been primarily a starter and middle/long reliever (with two professional saves) and Ryu almost exclusively a starter in the minors. Glover, who has impressed Maddon with his aggressiveness, has thrown 32/3 scoreless innings; Ryu (after working three innings Tuesday) has allowed one run in 51/3.

Maddon plans to use veteran Al Reyes as the closer and rookie Brian Stokes "more toward the end," but said the rest of the alignment is "a little bit up in the air."

Lidge, 30, is a former star closer (42 saves in 2005) who has struggled recently and was demoted Monday from the closer's job. He also has fallen out of favor with the Houston fans, which could accelerate his departure given the operating style of owner Drayton McLane, as could his $5.35-million salary.

On Tuesday, general manager Tim Purpura told the Houston Chronicle there was "no doubt" Lidge had the physical ability "to be as successful as he ever was," that he didn't think a change of scenery was needed and they weren't in any hurry to deal him.

"Obviously, you're always doing an inventory of who you have. And if you get into a situation where you have excess in a certain area, you might look at that. But at this point, I don't feel we're in that position," he said. "I'm not in any kind of a rush mode to move any player right now."

But if they do, the Rays would be a logical trading partner because they could use Lidge and have several things the Astros need: a frontline centerfielder (Rocco Baldelli?), young starting pitchers (Jason Hammel? Andy Sonnanstine? J.P. Howell?) and/or a future starting catcher (Shawn Riggans?)

But the Astros could be reluctant to deal with the Rays given the presence of Gerry Hunsicker, their former GM, in the Tampa Bay front office as well as the perception that the Rays got the better of them in getting SS Ben Zobrist and RHP prospect Mitch Talbot in a July deal for Aubrey Huff.

2. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Hm. I am generally not as anti-sports media as some, but I wonder from whence this perception arises. I suppose it's accurate insofar as the Astros no longer have Huff, but it's not like Zobrist or Talbot have done anything yet.

I think you probably have to consider the trade if they offer Baldelli. Can't say I'd be real excited if they traded Lidge for something other than a proven major-league player(s).

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is pretty laughable. I don't think the Astros are missing Zobrist, and his .215 career average. I don't think he would have been challenging Everett for a job any time soon.

As for Talbot, he'd still be well behind Patton, Albers, Nieve, Paulino, Guiterez, Sampson, Wandy, Estrada, etc. We had some excess to trade for there.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

well, at this point, we have nothing to show for those guys....and Huff really never played to his potential for the couple of months he was here...they still have the hope that those guys get better

5. Buck Turgidson

True, but you judge the trade on what was known at the time: Huff gave the Stros a legit chance to strengthen a weak offense & make a playoff push. Couple of things break differently, and they're in the playoffs. And Zobrist & Talbot, while pretty good prospects, were entirely replaceable by what the Stros have in the talent pipeline.

I'm not sure Baldelli can stay healthy. He hasn't yet. Watched him pull up lame on Opening Day running out of the batter's box.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To be fair, the Astros had Zobrist pegged as a 2B. That would still put him behind Burke & probably Brooks Conrad.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yea... but they're probably clamining this thread a "huge failure" on the Astros part because they believe we need his hitting skills at SS.

Also, I'd still put him behind Ash as well at 2B.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Purpura had said that they thought Zobrist was more of a utilityman and not an everyday player. He'd be behind Bruntlett and now Loretta.

9. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

anybody know anything about the riggans kid?

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you could get Baldelli, you make that trade. Kid is a stud in the outfield and has a good bat to go with good speed.

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Imagine if they gave us Elijah Dukes.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Talbot has had some great stats since being traded to the Rays. He had a 1.90 ERA in AA after the trade last year and this year in his debut, he pitched 6 hitless innings in AAA.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was having a good year last year as well... still doesn't mean he'd be above the other young arms in our farm (and Talbot isn't even that young).

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if Baldelli had actually become what he was supposed to be become, would we still be calling him a kid? :)

he's young and it could still happen for him. but injuries have taken a big toll..and this is his 5th season in the bigs.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Any chance they give us Kazmir for Lidge?

One can dream, right?

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Talbot is the same age as Paul Estrada, Juan Gutierrez, Matt Albers, Felipe Paulino Del Guidice. The only Astros prospects he is older than are Patton and Barthmaier.

17. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Hmm, Hickey is their pitching coach.. I think.

Lidge for Iwamura. DO IT.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Well he's 25, so that would put him at just the right age to be an Astros rookie.

In all seriousness, his OBP leaves a lot to be desired, but his speed and defense are clearly something we desperately need.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd take anyone with a pulse for Lidge. This is becoming the Carr situation all over again.

Evan

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Carr was never at one point the best QB in the league... Lidge was the best closer in baseball.

Completely different.