1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

St. Arnolds Boiler Room

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nice Rollin, Mar 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Should be cheaper than Endeavour considering it uses a fraction of the ingredients.

2. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Just tried a sample. Did not enjoy it. Was like a sour apple taste.

3. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

Tried it last weekend. Tastes a little funny. Like a Granny Smith.

4. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

How much for the pumpkinator?

5. likestohypeguy

I don't often get bad beer (where I ordinarily like the taste of a particular variety, then get the exact same thing & it randomly tastes like **** for some reason), but when I do, it's always been a st. arnolds. I think tonight is the third time from them.

Maybe it's just the odds, I buy a lot of st. arnolds, but I'm about done with them.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Just curious' but what have you tried?

I've been a st arnold hater in the past but they have stepped their game up more recently. They are by no means a top class american brewery but they do have some quality. Particularly, at least IMO, Spring bock, Elissa IPA, Endeavor IPA, and most importantly Pumpkinator (the best pumpkin beer I've ever had actually). Plus some of their icon series.

Amber, Christmas ale, and santo are still only meh for me.

But they have separated themselves from the rest at least for now, although Karbach is nipping at their heels. No Label is pretty inconsistent and Buffalo Bayou is pretty much garbage

7. likestohypeguy

I've tried most all of those, and they're mostly great. Endeavor & Pumpkinator especially are amazing.

What I mean is I'll actually like a particular variety, only to eventually get some of it that had somehow gone bad, or never was good when it was bottled.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spring Bock is my favorite seasonal they produce. I'm fond of the Summer Pils too, but maybe that's because it's easy-to-drink during the toughest months of the year to do anything outdoors.

You're right about the Icon; some have been pretty good. The new porter is very good and I even enjoyed the Amarillo Hefe, even though I don't particularly like hefeweizens.

I don't live in Houston anymore but, when I have visited, I've tried my fair share of Karbach and I see the promise, but don't get the hype.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Karbach's limited release stuff has been really good lately. Their Hellfighter aged in bourbon barrels is my favorite houston beer after pumpkinator, but I'm not sure how often they release that. Clown lounge is a recent double IPA aged in bourbon barrels that I enjoy. Their regular six packs are only ok, I'll order a Weiss Versa on tap but that's about it. But I really like the bigger beers they have been doing, they show a lot of promise to at least make the market competitive, I think they have pushed st arnold a bit at least

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Finally tried it. Didn't like it. Even wondered if my batch had gone bad. It was sour, like a woman's special parts. Ruby Redbird and Abita Grapefruit whatever kick its ass in my opinion.

11. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I take it many of you have never had a "sour beer" before? It's meant to taste as if a normal batch of ale went bad, or sour. In fact, the best sour I ever had was literally an accident, i.e. during the brewing process they screwed up and the ale went sour. It sold like wildfire but they could never replicate it because it was pure coincidence.

It takes a LOT of getting used to. I used to hate sours, and now I almost drink them exclusively (although they aren't common in Houston). Boiler Room is actually a little tame, but delicious nonetheless. If you are an avid beer drinker I would definitely give it a second try, but this time anticipate the sour taste. Otherwise it's like going for a water and ending up with vodka.

All this is said without me having ever had Boiler Room in a bottle. I've actually only had sour from a keg, so I'm not sure if the taste would translate.

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This is what I was wondering myself. I love sours. But I don't even know of texas brewer that makes one. If you aren't expecting a sour, you might not like it

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thought it was ok. I like sours but it was only lightly sour.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Jester king in Austin make damn good sours.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Just tried it.......

It sucks. Sounded pretty good to me but it's terrible, I think its the worst beer made by Saint Arnold.

It's only SLIGHTLY sour, not a true sour beer. It's basically taste like a sour Bud Light. It's very weak at only 3.7 abv and that just doesn't cut it anymore. And it leaves a terrible cardboardy, cheap aftertaste in your mouth, as if it was a crap beer like coors or bud.

REALLY bad showing from st. arnold. Really disappointed.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I had an aged DR12 recently from my collection.

That beer had aged spectacularly.